HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
305 Posts
Discussion
Sky Bench Big Bird "E" - Almost Ready to Fly -Questions:

Put some work into finishing this project, selected a color scheme, applying covering this evening.
The root wing bays are still open for routing the wiring for two flap servos...will have two metal geared HiTec HS-85MGs in the wing and two servos for the rudder & elevator.

This is my only third electric sailplane, the other two were primitive conversions by comparison...(an Oly 650 and a Premier Graduate - a UK kit).

I've pulled a Jeti Phasor 30-3 brushless with Jeti ESC Advance 40 - 3P 6-12C from another project.

Question:

Was thinking a of a Graupner CAM folding prop...what size?

The 10 cells weigh a frickin ton...guess it is time to consider LiPos?
What to buy?...guess I need a chager for those too, my Nova won't do Lipos...
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Put some work into finishing this project, selected a color scheme, applying covering this evening.
The root wing bays are still open for routing the wiring for two flap servos...will have two metal geared HiTec HS-85MGs in the wing and two servos for the rudder & elevator.

This is my only third electric sailplane, the other two were primitive conversions by comparison...(an Oly 650 and a Premier Graduate - a UK kit).

I've pulled a Jeti Phasor 30-3 brushless with Jeti ESC Advance 40 - 3P 6-12C from another project.

Question:

Was thinking a of a Graupner CAM folding prop...what size?

The 10 cells weigh a frickin ton...guess it is time to consider LiPos?
What to buy?...guess I need a chager for those too, my Nova won't do Lipos...

Hi, I am just finishing my Big Bird XL electric too. I have mine covered and I am using A Turnigy 3536-1100 out runner with 11-6 prop. I have not flown it yet. All up weight is 51 oz and that includes a separate battery pack for servos and Rx. I don't want to take a chance using the BEC for control. It added 2 oz of weight. Otherwise it would have come in at 49 oz. The XL is 110 inch wing. I have the BB in a 100 inch wing that is not electric. I love flying it. The electric version added 10 oz of weight.

I use the Aeronaut CAM folding props - 11-6. But I have not flown it yet, I may also try a 12-5 prop too. The Aeronaut is a quality prop from Germany I think. you can get them from Espritmodels.com. They are not cheap, but they are very high quality and for me, I DO NOT want to use the folding props made in China. I also used the Turbo spinner to get air into the motor area and drilled holes in the bottom of the fuse to exit the air. I will post some pictures soon to finish up my abbreviated "build" post that I started months ago.

Best of Luck,
dwmumford (Dave)
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2003
305 Posts
Thanks for the info....BTW: are Graupner CAM folding props made in China?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Thanks for the info....BTW: are Graupner CAM folding props made in China?
No, these are made in Germany. All the instruction are written in German...I just checked. They are very high quality.

Dave
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:26 AM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
All Thums,
I posted photos of my finished Big Bird Electric. Check out the new post. The thread title is "Ray Hayes Big Bird XL Nose Conversion for Electric".

Dave
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2003
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmumford View Post
All Thums,
I posted photos of my finished Big Bird Electric. Check out the new post. The thread title is "Ray Hayes Big Bird XL Nose Conversion for Electric".

Dave
Very Nice job...tell me how it flys.

(see we got the same idea about colors for the covering)