HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Discussion
Flamewheel 450 Legs

My buddy NavyBrian and I have been doing a lot of quad stuff lately, and recently got bit by the FPV bug. Therefore we needed a way to hold our 450 frames up to fit cameras underneath; extension legs. So Brian asked his machinist buddy if he could make something; they guy (I can't recall his hame) has done a few RC related parts for Brian free in the past, including some custom threaded tube mount to firewall adapters for our favorite 56gm motors (ax2213n). Those beauties were free, but this time he charged Brian a little for his time & materials. It was well worth it as you can see from the pictures I took of the ones Brian gave me last Monday (I owe you big time Brian!).

I got too excited to get them on my quad ASAP, so I didn't measure or weigh anything. All I know about them now is there's 4 set screws to grab on each leg of the DJI 450 frame, and the hole in the bottom of the mount takes a 3/16" OD rod. I glued some aluminum tube in with Welder, and tapped the ends for the 10-24 plastic caps bumpers.

I think Brian has a few extra sets he was thinking of selling, and of course if it's worth his while, Brian's machinist buddy would be willing to produce them for us hobbyists. Let me know your thoughts.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quad Extensions

Wow - those look perfect. How much for a set?? I live in Las Vegas Nevada. You can E-mail me at aj102@aol.com
Thanks -
hoveringal101 is offline Find More Posts by hoveringal101
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
hoveringal101, I just spoke with Brian, and he is asking $30+shipping for a set. I haven't weighed them, but I think first class CONUS with confirmation on a set wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 bucks, depending if he gets a discount through paypal. Keep in mind these are "special edition" at the moment (only 4 produced). So Brian will more than likely just break even at that price. He said his machinist friend can make them a lot cheaper if he orders them in bulk (like 40-100).

So please, anyone who would be interested in buying a set for less than $30+shipping, raise your hand by posting in this thread. He told me once he feels there's enough folks who want them, he'll put in a bulk order and offer them for a fraction of the cost.

Kev

ps: More pictures and info coming this evening...
Last edited by Truglodite; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:07 PM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
I just completed a set for my 2nd Quad using CF rod. They are shorter this time (no FPV gear on this one) painted the front 2 pink to match the the props and the back 2 yellow for the same reason. Waiting on set screws I ordered from ACE and they should be in tomorrow. I will try to post some pic's on the weekend....Cheers...Brian
navybrian is offline Find More Posts by navybrian
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Awesome Landing Gears Ever

Hello Brian - I would like to give you my honest evaluation of the Flamewheel 450 landing struts. After several take-off's, flights and landings I can say these struts are AWESOME. The craftsmanship is so precise that installation is a breeze. Thier appearance is not only professional but adds a touch of uniqueness and class. I used a solid piece of tubing which kept the legs strong and vibration free. I actually saved some weight from my Alware Spider Gear too. I strongly encourage anyone flying a quad that needs extra space for cameras etc add these struts and be happy forever. If your flying quads, your picky about quaility - these struts are easy to install, are adjustable to any length and look trick !! Your truly onto something great Brian - keep it up !!! Check out these pictures for yourself..
hoveringal101 is offline Find More Posts by hoveringal101
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
They look awesome!!! How much to ship to Sydney Australia...
furnibird is offline Find More Posts by furnibird
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,584 Posts
Very cool i would take a set
Chad2323 is online now Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I'd be interested in a couple of sets as well - what is the status on these, is navybrians buddy going to be making some to sell?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
10 set's

Hey everyone sorry for not posting again sooner but my personal and professional life has been very demanding these days. So this is the deal.....my friend Dan is going to make me 10 sets in about 2 weeks, He's charging me $15 a set so if I ship them 1st class with tracking for $25 I'm going to make about 7 bucks a set. (Furnibird what ever the extra shipping to Australia is ? is all the extra I would ask for) Not in this to make big bucks just think It's a cool way to get your quad higher So I see three of you want them and that's COOL !! When I have them I will PM everyone my paypal info so we can get going. As you get them please post your feelings so others might want them. The only way I will be able to ship them any cheaper is to order 50-100 sets at a time.......................CHEERS Brian.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Just a head's up to folks who are interested in ordering: the quickest way to get your leg extensions is to shoot Brian a PM. I will forward PM's I receive about these things to Brian, but that means it will take longer before he can get back to you. I know it's a bit confusing since there's no posted details on how to order. I'll discuss this with him when he comes up to visit today... maybe start a FS/W thread or something.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I'm in, hopefully you'll be able to ship them USPS to Canada for not too much $$ - UPS does not work well for shipping up here as they gouge you for brokerage fees.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
I think first class postage rates to Canada (and FOB's) are the same as CONUS. So the only difference is Brian would have to wait in line at the post office and fill out a small customs form.

Kev
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:22 AM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
10 set's ready to go

OK QUAD PEOPLE I have 10 sets now. These are lighter and just as strong as before. remember you will need (16) 6-32 X 1/8" set screws and whatever 3/16" materal you want to use for the leg's (I like solid CF rod) One of the things I like the most about this set up is......When you crash they pop off and don't break like the new CF BRACKET offered now. So the price is $25 a set shipped in the US (whatever extra if your not) Please don't ask for a lower price, I'm not making much on these I just think their cool. So if you want a set please post it here so everyone else can see what's going on, then PM me your address. I will hit you back with my paypal (if you want to send me a money order ? that's cool 2) Thank's for waiting ....................Brian.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
I've crashed and broken 4 DJI/HK arms now, yet Brian's legs (and my Al tubes) have survived with only a few scratches. The last crash I had was a very hard one that broke 3 legs and my FPV camera; 30+mph at a 45* angle in to large rock like chunks of clay (farmer just finished disking and no rain for months). My point of saying this is to show how durable the legs are. Even the aluminum tubing I used has yet to bend.

Oh yeah, those aluminum tubes... I lost my first set (quad flew away) and got a replacement set from Brian. I decided to drill the holes in my second set of mounts so they would fit some 1/4" OD tubing I had on me. This worked great together with my set screw mod (read below).

In interest of making field repairs easier, I drilled and tapped an extra 6-32 hole in the side of each of my leg mounts. I ran a setscrew in to hold the aluminum tubes in place. The tubes are now much easier to remove and replace; just loosen one set screw and the tube falls out... no waiting for glue to dry. Before, I figured if I damaged a leg that would probably be the end of my flying day. Now I keep a set of spare tubes in my flight box.

Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
5 set's left

5 set's left everyone, The Quad people that have them now seem to love the idea