SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Question
What is the Best Parkzone BNF or PNP Micro airplane for beginner?

I just purchased a dx6i with three recievers I have a FB Stratos and am going to get a micro by the end of summer. I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations on which is the best.
Thanks,
Tyler
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I think you may get bored by the ember and night vapor, you would do well with the micro T28 for a first aileron plane. Easy to fly and replacement parts are super cheap.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
237 Posts
1- Champ
2- Nightvapor
3- UM T-28
4- soon to be available UM Spitfire with AS3X
5- UMX (2s battery FYI) Beast 3D with AS3x
6- UMX Sbach
Now to the non micros that will need your recievers;
7- Multiplex FunCub
8- Multiplex Gemini
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Far and away, the best beginner micro is the Champ. Everyone should have one of these.

After the Champ, with a DX6i, you have a lot of options. If you only had a RTF or non computer radio, I'd say get the T-28, but a computer radio can make the harder to fly planes as easy to fly as the T-28.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
Not sure which is "best" but I can vouch for both the Champ and the Ember 2. They are my first RC planes and are simple to operate. For some reason I'm not worried about them breaking in a crash, but I'm scared to death of grabbing them too roughly. Makes no sense I know, but they just feel so fragile in my hands. Once in the air though they handle magnificently.
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B dog View Post
1- Champ
2- Nightvapor
3- UM T-28
4- soon to be available UM Spitfire with AS3X
5- UMX (2s battery FYI) Beast 3D with AS3x
6- UMX Sbach
Now to the non micros that will need your recievers;
7- Multiplex FunCub
8- Multiplex Gemini
Really? Recommending the UMX Beast and Sbach for a beginner?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,585 Posts
Ember 2 is brittle (grass field flyer) and gets tossed with the slightly wind.

I have the Beast 3D, UM P51, and Mig-15 - but can't recommend those to a beginner (I'm also very new to RC also) nor can I recommend the FMS mini warbirds unless you understand build issues. If the UM T28 is anything like the bigger T28 then it go for it.

Buy spare props and gear shafts and nose cones and fly in calm weather for the first few flights - you'll be happy pilot!
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
I already had some basic skills from helis, but I started on the UM T28. That plane has lot of longevity in my opinion and you can always dumb down your controls since you have a dx6i so that it is really docile.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, I have just got back into RC flying from a stint about 10 years, ago, and bought a Kyosho Minium Cub, and have just ruined it trying to repair it with the wrong glue!!! The rear wing snapped and I did a very bad repair! Anyways I need to basically replace the whole fuselage and want to get something to fly in the meantime, I can get the Champ in the UK, do you guys recommend this, or shall I buy another Kyosho?
aircanman is offline Find More Posts by aircanman
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:49 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircanman View Post
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, I have just got back into RC flying from a stint about 10 years, ago, and bought a Kyosho Minium Cub, and have just ruined it trying to repair it with the wrong glue!!! The rear wing snapped and I did a very bad repair! Anyways I need to basically replace the whole fuselage and want to get something to fly in the meantime, I can get the Champ in the UK, do you guys recommend this, or shall I buy another Kyosho?
I have a lot of the Kyosho airframes (multiple Edge 540's, Christen Eagle's, Cessna's, Citabria's, etc) and like all of them, but the Champ is a better plane.

Its sturdier, flies better in wind and you can fly it with a real TX (not just a toy one), so you won't have 5 different TX's for 5 planes.

Little things, like a Carrying Box that opens is a +, too.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I have a lot of the Kyosho airframes (multiple Edge 540's, Christen Eagle's, Cessna's, Citabria's, etc) and like all of them, but the Champ is a better plane.

Its sturdier, flies better in wind and you can fly it with a real TX (not just a toy one), so you won't have 5 different TX's for 5 planes.

Little things, like a Carrying Box that opens is a +, too.
Wish I found this thread before buying !!!
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Think I am gonna get one of those champs, and repair the Kyosho on the side, I just found it limited on power
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircanman View Post
Think I am gonna get one of those champs, and repair the Kyosho on the side, I just found it limited on power
The Cub is one of the last 6mm motored Kyosho planes before they switched them all to the 8.4mm motor. I've swapped Mustang Motors and AR6400's into my 8.4mm Motored kyoshos and they are rocket sleds vs. the low amp motors kyosho uses.

The Parkzone J-3 6mm motor also makes noticably more thrust the the Kyosho Aftermarket "Hyper" motor, so that is a worthwile swap, too , if you keep the factory mount (though the parkzone J-3 6mm motor mount is better and stronger than the kyosho mount)

The Parkzone J-3 marked the last 6mm motored plane for them, as well. Proably the best thing for Power would be to swap in a Champ Motor/Mount. A Mustang motor would have more power, but the Kyosho bricks ESC may not like the excessive Amps.

For the Parkzone J-3 an 8.4mm motor/gearbox swap is a "must do" mod.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:05 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,264 Posts
+1 Champ, +1 Night Vapor, especially if you have a place to fly indoors. I just got back from an indoor fun fly... I love that little plane! It was my first one and I'm still flying it after two years.

This was the maiden flight for both the plane and myself:

Night Vapor maiden (0 min 57 sec)
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:45 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Forget the Champ and Ember suggestions as you already have a FB Stratos so i dint know why they are even suggesting you get another trainer go for the UM- T28 best aileron trainer in the UM range and the T28 can be very forgiving on low rates and a whole lot of fun on high everything you need in a plane to progress i guarantee you will absolutely love it.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...