SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
Discussion
IOM rudder servo

So what is the ideal torque and speed for and IOM rudder servo. Type suggestions welcomed!!

I am in the process of planning out my next build and this time I would like to do it as right as possible, and still on a tight budget?

Andrew
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Andrew,
I have a futaba 3004 servo in one of my IOM's for rudder servo. Thinking about switching to a to an S3050 rudder servo if I change servos. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
49 Posts
iom rudder servo

go with the S3003 futaba servo for less than $10ea. you can afford to get an extra or two.
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...kg_0_17s_.html

Great cheap servo no fancy stuff and reliable-Last boat one of these, my current boat 2 hitec's
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyelvis View Post
go with the S3003 futaba servo for less than $10ea. you can afford to get an extra or two.
If you buy one good one, you never need to buy two.
I can't speak to the Futaba servo, as all of my boats use Hitec.. so I'm not saying that the S3003 is junk...
Just saying you never need to overbuy if you buy the right thing.

I'm using the Hitec HS-311 in all of my boats (2x EC-12, 3xMarbleheads). It's a good standard servo. $7.99
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-311_standard.html
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Last edited by breakwater; Jul 28, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
I am using the 311 right now in my IOM, What i was really wondering is if i need to get a faster servo or highter torque?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
919 Posts
Nope. IOM rudders are pretty easy to turn. Good linkage will help a lot. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,527 Posts
Well, The IOM is smaller than the Marblehead, and much smaller than the EC-12.
So, I'd say without a doubt that you do not need higher torque than the HS-311. (HS-311 is 51oz/in) If anything that means you can get away with less.

In terms of speed, that's a little more of an opininion question.
Do you want your rudder to turn faster?

The HS-311 is plenty fast enough for me in both the M and EC-12 applications.

If money is not an object, I'd say go with this servo.. The HS-5086WP.
It's Micro Sized, It's light, it's waterproof, it's digital.

But, It's 50 Bucks.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5086wp_servo.html
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
I am using the 311 right now in my IOM, What i was really wondering is if i need to get a faster servo or highter torque?
Your question suggests you may not be happy with the 311 servo in your current boat perhaps?

IMHO you do not necessarily need "fast" for rudder servo as good rudder use should be primarily "smooth" - only making minor corrections to avoid the "braking" effect of the rudder thus keeping your speed and momentum up.

Regarding "torque" - if you are concerned that your rudder servo may be stalling under high load consider the following:
a) get a stronger servo
b) are you using push/pull linkage? Single link may be flexing when pushing, this is eliminated with push/pull
c) deliver more torque (but less travel) to the rudder by using the appropriate holes in servo arm and rudder horn to gain a mechanical advantage
d) As mentioned elsewhere, watch for binding or rubbing linkages, rubber boots that do not compress easily when cold, tight/binding rudder shaft - things like that...

HTH
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
868 Posts
Buy a decent servo that will centre spot on every time most of the more expensive servos use a water/dust proof seal between the cases which is what I use.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
297 Posts
Thank you for all the advice, I do not have issues with the 311, i just thought some of the better boats were using a higher grade of servo. So as I plan my next build i was just trying to work out the servo's i need to purchase.

At my first ever IOM regatta a couple of weeks ago in Hood River Oregon it looked to me that some of the top boats were turning faster (with out braking) than me, I guess this could also be the operator or hull/fin shapes?

Andrew