Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
High Performance Tracked Vehicle Based on the RIPSAW

Hello,

I am designing and building a small scale tracked vehicle inspired by the RIPSAW.

Ripsaw MS1 new badass footage (3 min 17 sec)

http://www.howeandhowe.com/index.php

The RIPSAW is undoubtedly the highest performance tracked vehicle in its class and a good platform to begin with. My aim is to investigate experimental systems including different drive, track and motor configurations while using this common platform for design, rapid prototyping and testing.

1/8th scale is just too small for these purposes, and I have found a lot of 1/6th scale off the shelf components including metal tracks and suspension systems.

I have a few questions that I am having difficulty determining:
  • First, which scale, 1/6th or 1/5th, would be better in terms of availability and selection of existing components?
  • Are 1/6th metal tracks suited for high speeds and high performance? I believe that the greater the weight of the track the more effect centrifugal force will have at high RPMs and my main concern is throwing a track.
  • What have been the experiences with these track systems at high speeds?
  • How do you gauge the tension to prevent damaging or throwing a track?

Sincerely,
Uriah
MVMotorsports is offline Find More Posts by MVMotorsports
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
These are the only high-speed tracked RCs that I could find which replicate the RIPSAW.

#1) Ripsaw UGV - fast tracked vehicle
Ripsaw RC UGV - fast tracked vehicle (2 min 48 sec)

Specs:
powered by two BL-800 brushless motors (2.5kW each) and two Mamba Monster esc´s. top speed is approx. 20km/h. it weights 20kg. length is 900mm and width 400mm. most of it is made of aluminium.

#2) RC Fast Tracked Vehicle
RC Fast Tracked Vehicle Test Run (1 min 45 sec)

RC Tracked Vehicle Speed Tests (2 min 32 sec)

Specs:
Weight is over 35 pounds and length roughly 29 inches long.
Motor power peaks at 5700 Watts total.
MVMotorsports is offline Find More Posts by MVMotorsports
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Italy
Joined May 2010
118 Posts
WOW!!!
fantastic!
Is possible to know how to build one of it?
Where on line the pieces I can be purchased? wheels, tracks etc?

VERY GREAT!!!

kenseinemo is offline Find More Posts by kenseinemo
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Put me on this list. I have hunted the net trying to find a track vehicle to either purchase or build that wasnt going to cost me $5,000. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction. Im looking the exact same setup as the one in "RC Fast Tracked Vehicle Test Run"
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
Old Apr 09, 2014, 10:48 AM
Taiwan, Taichung City
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
RC UGV-Tracked vehicle chassis test

Hello,

I see there's a UGV tracked vehicle made by yourself, that is really huge and cool!

My friend also make one which is much smaller but it could be very powerful and functional if you write the Arduino for your own needs.

The video below is a testing vehicle shows some simple command.

In the near future, it would released into the market with below $3000 with better design. It is designed for using at home like a security guard or your helper.

If anyone is interested in a sample chassis or ask customization chassis, it would be available.

RC UGV-Tracked vehicle chassis test履帶車底盤功能測試 (1 min 51 sec)

Made in Taiwan

---------------------------------------------
amberboob is offline Find More Posts by amberboob
Last edited by amberboob; Apr 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2013
25 Posts
Why do so many people have this same awesome idea but nobody posts their finished product or finish it at all. I have the same idea and want to build one nitro instead of electric and use a single throttle dual braking turn system. I've got this whole thing planned out in AutoCAD trying to see if it is feasible. The problem with building one of these is that all the parts will have to be one-off and hand built making it kind of expensive for someone without their own mill and lathe. I'm interesting in doing this project for myself.
BreretonBu is offline Find More Posts by BreretonBu