HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
The last weeks were full of hurry and hard work as we wanted to start with 2 Typhoon XS models each at the RCN-Speedchampionat in Osnabrück. Beside our normal work Stefan and i worked about 16-18 hours a day for about 3-4 weeks to finish the planes! Unfortunately i had to go to a conference the whole week before the championat, so we had no chance to get the maiden flights before. I returned in the night from thursday to friday, so we decided to do the maiden flights on friday morning at our local club! I spent nearly the whole night in finishing my two planes and we met in the morning for the maidens.
All i all the four maiden were completely unspectacular as the planes did exactly, what they are designed for: they flew completely straight, straightforward and FAAAAASSST !
Here are some group pictures of the whole crowd with the designer and builder of these beauties Stefan Baier and myself!
M. Koch is offline Find More Posts by M. Koch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
how much does the small one cost ?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:24 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Painting of the planes where done in-mold! We design everything in corel draw and then masking film (Oramask 810) was cnc-cut which works perfectly for the molds without destroying the wax-film!
All planes were built with 76g/m² IMS SpreadTow with an high modulus UMS carbon spar! Fuses consist of several layers of Kevlar with carbon reinforcement and were built under high vakuum which make them very light and rigid. Wings were built for showflying for about 45-50 acceleration of gravity, so you can complety pull the stab at about 400 km/h ! All in all the complete cell of a Typhoon XS weighs below 900g! So you can add a drive train with 2400g.
Servos in the wing where added in a servo bay, so you can use servo frames with a counterbearing for max. stability. Linkage was across to the surface, where the carbon horns where covered with a very small hood!
Servo in the fuse was also installed in a servo bay in the fin, which was guided by two bars for max. stability of the fin! Counter-sunk hatches closes the opening in wing and fuse for a complete clean surface.
The stab has Giga-flaps to reduce drag.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:47 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Hi guys!
For everyone who wants to see the Typhoons fly and is here in germany on 18./19. of August could have a look at the Horizon Airmeet 2012 in Donauwörth/ Genderkingen: http://www.horizonhobby.de/airmeet2012
A lot of famous showpilots are participating: http://www.horizonhobby.de/airmeet20...en-und-modelle
We are also there as showpilots presenting the models in high speed flybys and hopefully some good filmers are also there! Best chance for us to get a video from our planes in flight !
Perhaps see you soon at the flightline!

Ciao, Marcus
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Hi speed-addicts !
Last week i got some very nice pictures from our Typhoon XS in flight from the championat in Osnabrück!
Enjoy them!
Ciao, Marcus
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
who was faster ?

the glider or the thyphoon xs ??
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:07 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Hi Rolf!
Would be nice chasing the glider through the measuring distance, but he was not willing !
But i think Stefan and i were faster!

Ciao, Marcus
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:45 AM
member of 400km/h club
Joined Nov 2008
461 Posts
the actually biggest and most powerfull scorpion HK 5035 speed evo (0,1) mounted for best cooling on typhoon fuselage.
max power is about 15kW, means, we have to bring 2500-3000W heat away!

for the used YGE 320 UHV type the needed for this power 16S (55V) and 275Amps are no problem . Also for the ESC the cooling is optimized.
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:02 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion-fan View Post
the actually biggest and most powerfull scorpion HK 5035 speed evo (0,1) mounted for best cooling on typhoon fuselage.
max power is about 15kW, means, we have to bring 2500-3000W heat away!

for the used YGE 320 UHV type the needed for this power 16S (55V) and 275Amps are no problem . Also for the ESC the cooling is optimized.
great work done - congrats

an Old Fiat 500 out of the sixtees has had 10 KW power with this motor you can make an electric version of it
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
scorpion-fan - is that 5035 rewound or used as its supplied ?
Does the motor come with its mounting plate at the back or did you modify it ?
Please describe the process to modify it so that it can be mounted outside the fuse.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
scorpion-fan - is that 5035 rewound or used as its supplied ?
Does the motor come with its mounting plate at the back or did you modify it ?
Please describe the process to modify it so that it can be mounted outside the fuse.
Do a search for "Powercroco" It makes for some amazing reading.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Hi War Machine!
Of course it is no normal 5035! It is one of Dr. Ralph Okons alias Powercroco "1- Million-Dollar"-motors with 0,1 laminations and of course special winded! Stator was special cnc-cut by Stefan Baier and mounting plate was cnc-cut and filed by Ralph himself!
For the other modifications Ralph is the better part to talk with!

Ciao, Marcus
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,164 Posts
Marcus, the Typnoon looks great in the air! Easy to see
Thanks for the tip on the Oramask. I'll have to try that. Is there clear paint where the carbon is showing?
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
275mph club
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
509 Posts
Hi Steve!
Yes, i use clear two component car paint for all of my sight-carbon parts except the props, spinners and covers!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
member of 400km/h club
Joined Nov 2008
461 Posts
war machine,

the easier way to answer:
the only thing what isn't modified at this motor is the backiron (black part of the motor).
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:41 AM.