HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:24 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
Discussion
The Typhoon-series! Building of three new F3speedplanes for fun-speed-flying and comp

Hi speedjunkies!
The last years I built a lot of speedplanes in collaboration with Michael Jakob!
The Eagle was the first especially for F3speed designed speedplane which was designed by Otto Jakob (his brother) in 2007! Michael did all the work on the cnc-cut plugs and I did all the mold making and model building for him and me! The Eagle was and is one of the fastest planes and flew 433km/h one way in 2010 piloted by Michael! The total potential of this plane is not exhausted yet, because it can load very strong motors and up to 10-12S!
Michael Jakob also has won the Middle Wallop Air Festival 2010 with the Eagle V (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...l+jakob&page=3).
The first design was a V-tail fuse but I designed a new t-tail fuse in 2010 and used the Eagle T also for competitions in 2010 and 2011!
M. Koch is offline Find More Posts by M. Koch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
Dr. Ralph Okon alias Mr. Powercroco who also got an Eagle T from me managed to get the official world record in the combo class with this plane last year and Kai Koppenburg as caller.

Kai Koppenburg was the right pilot, who showed the possibilities of this plane at the Championat last weekend, where he piloted the Eagle beyond the 460 km/h with an average of 455 km/h and constant flights over 450 km/h.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:33 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Aug 01, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:39 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
very nice planes, I really like the looks of the first Eagle, nice paintjob..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:03 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
As Ralph said!
All the reported speeds here were flown by the official German Speedcup rules with 10S lipos max. and not with world record rules /2V, 16S max.!

In spring 2010 Michael Jakob came to me with wing-plugs for three new speedplanes which can be used electric or with combustion engine! We built all the molds and I made several wings out of them!
One wing ( the middle one) has 150 cm span and was perfect suited for 40- and 42-series of Powercroco-motors!
The first one got the Eagle V-tail-fuse and I designed a new stab for this plane, which is perfect for 8-10S 3500 SLS and a 4225 Powercroco! The next one got a modified fuse I designed for the Warp 10 /Prodigy (a former F5B plane called Flamingo, which was designed by Erwin Schamburger, and whose wing was stretched and modified by me for speed running), which was flown by Stefan Minke and me at competition 2008 and 2009.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
I used this plane 2011 for competitions on 10S 3500SLS and a 4235 Powercroco-motor! The so called “Chimera”!
I managed to get third german champion with this plane last year with an average of 412,8 km/h on the first flights, directly after maiden this plane at the german championship!
Ralph Okon also used this plane for testing multi-bladed high pitch folders he designed and which were built by me and got very good results at the Speedcup in Dachau 2011 with about 385 km/h avarage, with low amps and low noise!
Kai Koppenburg who got this plane from Ralph as a loan for the world record attempts last year managed to get the fastest flight ever measured with 440 km/h average on the 400m world record distance. Unfortunately the plane was a little overweight, so no official world record! Potential of this plane is still not exhausted yet!
The last three pictures show Kai and Ralph preparing for an average 440 km/h run at the world record attempts in Rothenburg 2011 and a deep flyby of the Chimera!
Last edited by M. Koch; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
Joachim Weirich is also using this wing in shortened form for his combustion speedplanes and got also very good results!
This year he also used this wing with an modified combustion fuse with an electric setup and managed to get the third place at the championat last weekend with an average of 429 km/h. He also got a one way flight at the speedcup in Wünnenburg with over 460 km/h!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:29 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
The smallest wing Michael Jakob used for his legendary double-fuse combustion Speedplane called “Doppelprinz”! Two MB40 pylon motors, both with over 30000rpm made those plane to the absolute highlight at the german championship 2011 and he also managed to get German champion in the 15ccm class with this plane!
He also used this wing shortened on his 10ccm model “Kleiner Prinz” which he used last and this year for competition. This model, piloted by Mario Müller got the third place at the Championat this year with 401km/h avarage!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:33 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
The biggest wing we called “Tyrannopterix” or “Harpie” as Ralph named it, was designed to the max. of FAI-reglement, which says max. 5kg total weight, 72V, 75g/m² wing load! 2 m span and nearly 40 cm of chord makes this wing to a complete monster which will be powered with up to 16S and a 5035 Powercroco! The wing is produced by Joachim Weirich and is getting a modified Typhoon fuse with a Typhoon stab from me for Michael and a special designed stab for Dr. Ralph Okon alias Powercroco who also gets this monster! Maiden of the “Tyrannopterix” 1 from Ralph was last weekend with an low voltage setup and about 45 m/s vertical without limits! Tests with the maximum setup will follow.
Last edited by M. Koch; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:42 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
After a lot of successful collaborations with Michael it was time to design my own speedplanes!
Goal was to design planes which can be used for High-Speed show-flying and for the different setups for German championship (42V; 10S) or the world record attempts (72V; 16S)! Second was to close the gap beween the smaller planes like the “Kleine Prinz” (about 2200g FAI) and Chimera (abot 2700g FAI) and the Monster Tyrannopterix with max. FAI of 5000g, to have a plane for every setup available on this planet!
There are a lot of different prooved 10S setups on the market like the 40/42/45-series of Powercroco-Scorpion motors or, for smaller planes like the Fluxkompensator or Fluxxer designed from Erwin Schamburger, who uses Strecker Motors (RSE 378/435) or Jakob Karpfinger who uses a Kontronik/Powercroco for his Fluxkompensator. David Dzida also uses a Kontronik and a Scorpion motor for his world record model last year on 11S or 12S!
Aim was to design a plane for every scorpion series starting from the 40-series up to the biggest one we can use the 50-series, always starting from 10S up to 16S for the world record attempts!
First step is always weighing all the planned equipment for the planes like motor, desired lipos, controller, receiver, prop, spinner and so on to imagine how big the surface area should be to be within the FAI limit of 75g/m²! For the weight of the fuse and wings there is a lot of data available from our other planes, so we can calculate weight of a new wing, stab or fuse very precisely!
So we landed at three different sizes with about 2900g, 3250g and 3800g max. FAI-limit!
Next step was to design planform and aspect ratio for the planes! As we don´t need to do turns in flight task of F3Speed a high aspect ratio, which has an advantage there, is not the main target, as we need very torsion-proof wings at speeds above 400 km/h! This was the problem with our former modified high aspect ratio F5B planes like Eisvogel and Warp 10, which, though highly modified and reinforced with lots of Carbon, had their own head at speeds above 420 km/h and didn´t do what the pilots wants due to torsion of the wing!
So we wanted to use a high wing chord like the Eagle and the Chimera to get, even using a 8% profile like the MH 54, a thick wing with max height of about 24 mm! So we landed at wing roots between 288 mm and 294 mm depending on the plane!
The fuse was designed around the used equipment with varying spinner diameters for different motors due to shortening the fuse!

As controllers only YGE from Heino Jung, who has always an open ear for us speeders and perfectly designs and modifies his controllers for our needs! Service is outstanding, so he repaired two damaged controllers from crashed planes in a night action from Friday to Saturday morning last weekend at the Championat, that the pilots could use the repaired controllers the next day in competition! Where could you find something else in the world?
We mostly use the YGE 160 or 320 HV or UHV for our planes which work perfect and had no problems with currents above 200A or 300 A!

As batteries we use the SLS APL 45C from Stefans Lipo Shop in sizes between 3000-5000 mAh!
Max. width of these batteries is 49-50mm, so we designed the fuse for 51,5 mm on the outside which is about 0,75-1 mm for fuse wall consisting of several layers of Kevlar! We designed two different fuses, one for the Typhoon with 51,5 mm width and 55 mm height under the wing, which allows us to get the cables and connectors over the battery under the wing. It also has hamster chops in front to adjust big motors up to 60 mm diameter! The second fuse is a common for the Typhoon XS and XXS which is 51,5 mm width and 51 mm height under the wing. It also has hamster chops in front to adjust motors up to 56 mm diameter like the 4525.

Technical data of the three Typhoon-models:

Typhoon
Span: 210 cm
Length: 145 cm
Profil: MH54
Max. FAI weight: 3800g
Spinner-diameter: 50-60 mm depending on used motor
Motor: 4525-5025 Powercroco

Typhoon XS
Span: 186 cm
Length: 140 cm
Max. FAI weight: 3250g
Spinner-diameter: 50-56 mm depending on used motor
Motor: 4035-4525 Powercroco

Typhoon XXS
Span: 173 cm
Length: 140 cm
Max. FAI weight: 2900g
Spinner-diameter: 50-56 mm depending on used motor
Motor: 4032-4235 Powercroco

So now we have a lot of planes for all different sizes and FAI-Limits for competition and Fun-speed-flying and every setup available on the planet :

“Kleiner Prinz”: 2200g
Chimera: 2700g
Typhoon XXS: 2900g
Typhoon XS: 3250g
Eagle: 3310g
Typhoon: 3800g
Tyrannopterix/Harpie: 5000g
Last edited by M. Koch; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,553 Posts
Thanks for all the great pics and info Marcus...love those big speeders...got my first pair of glasses last week...don't think I would have a problem following any of those planes.
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
The parts for the plugs for wing, stab and fuse were partially CNC-cut or hand shaped and all parts were covered with different colored layers of 2-component car paint, sanded up to 2500 sanding paper and fine sanded with special silikon sanding paper up to 6000! Then everything was polished with special polishing paste by hand or machine and treated with wax about 10 times before mold building could start! Sanding and polishing for the different layers took us several weeks for all the plugs and resulted in arms like Popeye after spinach usage !

For the Typhoon fuse mold we designed two different wing bolts, so we have the possibility to build split wings with an plug-in mount! No bad Idea for a 210 cm 294 mm chord wing! We also have the possibility now to put some Lipos in the wing from the root. Enough room for up to 8S! The Typhoon XS and XXS only got a normal wing screw.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:10 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
For the mold parting surface we used very hard mold resin, which prevents the parting surface from being hurt by using sharp knives when cutting back cured carbon and glass before joining the mold halves. For the wing and fuse surface we used softer mold resin which could easily be sanded and polished to high gloss.
Last edited by M. Koch; Jul 29, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Very interesting!!!
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:34 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
538 Posts
A third layer of hard mold resin was added to prevent the following glass layers from printing through when heating the molds in plane building!
After a coupling layer from resin and cotton flocks, especially in the corners and around the bolts, different layers of glass followed and at last the complete back of the mold was filled with poraver/resin-mixture.