HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:07 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,553 Posts
Build Log
Xaircraft Hexacopter test rig. Testing OP3D,APM2, Naza GPS, Naze 32

Didn't have a build thread for this rig so I figure I would make one. Overall the Xaircraft frame is a high quality product, the arms are strong, minimal twist, and everything fit nice and tight. I've read their electronics might not be the best but I'm impressed by this little DIY Hexa...

It is my first fullsize Hexa. I set aside some Avroto 2814s and 4s batteries for when I want to build the real deal with my Nex5 and a proper gimbal. I consider this more of a test rig/eye candy at night. Should be fun for some night FPV. I'll probably build a Y6 out of Rusty's UAP1. I wish I could find a Hexa spider that would handle 12" props and the avrotos...

For now I'm using an Xaircraft CF DIY Hexa with NTM 2830s, 40a DYS Simonk ESCs, AeroXcraft Gopro Gimbal, 2x 4000mah Batteries (ordered a custom plate), RGB LEDS on every arm and RGB rings on top and bottom. The RGB sequencers are the size of the strips so I plan on having 2 for the rings, one for the front 2 arms, and one for the other arms/landing gear. Also have some strobes that may be overkill. The sequencers have a strobe effect and the SMD5050's are incredibly bright already anyway.

Setting up the motor direction and shrinkwrapping the bullets tonight, then I should be flying tomorrow. Very Excited.

ESCs in place with plenty of air.

Headlights and lower light ring installed with 1 sequencer that will control the light rings. Happy with the brightness. I need to get some LEDs on front of the 2 front arms for orientation.

Dome and some simple light reflective orientation tape.

Then I want to eventually test Naza GPS, and APM 2.0 w/3dr 915mhz telemetry. If I can get the UAV waypoint functionality I can use a secondary controller/receiver to control the gimbal during flight and get some amazing footage. My first APM 1 experience wasn't the best but I got a good deal on a new/opened board that someone didnt need so...
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Last edited by daign; Sep 25, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:20 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
I have that frame on the way

Nice clean build you got there !

Can you tell me the AUW ?

I am working on Ecalc and its says it wont hover with ntm 2830 ?

I have Rctimer 2830-11 (1000kv) motor for mine.

Thanks !
bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:13 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,553 Posts
So there turned out to be a bug with APM2 that was causing boards to fry wired completely correct. So they sent me a APM2.5 thanks to the help of the original seller here on RCG. Thank you Scott! They reworked the board, moved around some components and added some power protection on the output/input. The GPS is now movable and can be mounted remotely as well.

APM 2.5. A lot of connectors/pins were rewired to connectors to eliminate people connecting things the wrong way.

3DR 415mhz Radio Telemetry. I think I will most likely point the antenna down for less interference.
While I had the top plate off. I resoldered any questionable links added a few JST males for FPV gear, wired in an ATTO 90amp current sensor/voltage for the APM 2.5, and the 100amp current sensor for the skylark OSD which will be used for my Skylark AAT tracker.

I plan to fly this both LOS and via PC using an ezcap and the built in mission planner. I should be able to see the realtime location on google maps, my FPV screen, and the redundant telemetry via the arducopter 3dr radio.

I need to test the motors , setup the 3dr radio, config the Hexa-x. And setup the motors/props for proper rotation. Then its FPV wiring time and gimbal... This things going to have a lot of gear on it when its done... I may have to upgrade the frame!
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign