Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:59 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Discussion
Help with HK KK board 3.0

Hi all,
totally new to multirotors, so bought Talon hexacopter from HK and now having trouble with setting up that damn brain board v3

i have 2 problems

when i set yaw to zero and put throttle to full, i hear confirmation from escs and then i can spin motors. Then i power off all, return yaw to default, power on, hear confirmation from motors but on throttle movement those wont spin

second problem, i can spin on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th channel, 5th and 6th don't work (does it mean i have 4copter firmware?)

so, reflashed board using their soft and choosed HexCopter (not hexacopter) 2.9

After zero yaw, and power red led is on and motors just beeping, no conformation (i have full throttle)

damn, what to do?
is it fried or?

can someone learn me how to setup up that damn machine?

thank you
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
2.9 is Minsoo newest version but haven't seen a lot of info on it in the threads. To get it going perhaps you should go back to version 2.5 and the online manual for setup is here. The firmware would be 2.5 for blueboard linked to on the left. Whether it would be hexacoptor or H6coptor firmware would depend if you have a space directly in front or an arm directly in front. I have not tried v2.5 on HKv3.0 board myself.

Looking at the Version History there doesn't appear to be any setup changes from v2.5 to v2.9
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Jul 26, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:56 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
will try to reflash my v3 to 2.5firmware for blue
but, when i had previous version for 4copter, why esc throttle setup was working only once when it was set?
after power off i heard esc confirmation, but on throttle movement it wont spin the motors at all?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:39 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun View Post
will try to reflash my v3 to 2.5firmware for blue
but, when i had previous version for 4copter, why esc throttle setup was working only once when it was set?
after power off i heard esc confirmation, but on throttle movement it wont spin the motors at all?
Did you arm your board after?
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:54 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
i guess no
how, please?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:04 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,543 Posts
Rudder stick to the right and then LED will stay ON. Then you''ll be able to fly. Start with small amount of throttle until it flys.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:07 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
i tied it, maybe wrong.
So i will set throttle with zero yaw, then power off, yaw to default middle.
Power on and rudder to the right?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
You need to calibrate the ESC's first if you haven't already done that. Remove the props and then turn yaw to minimum position (CCW). Turn on your transmitter and set throttle to maximum position. Power the KK board and then wait for two led flashes and then move the throttle to the minimum position. Power off the KK board and then set the Yaw to about 50%.

To "Arm" the KK board you power on your transmitter and then the Hexa. With the throttle set to minimum you move the yaw stick all the way to the right and hold it there for a few seconds - the red led should come on solid. If it doesn't try moving the Yaw all tyhe way to the right.

You should be ready to test the gyroscopes from there.
pjman is offline Find More Posts by pjman
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
no luck
i tried 2.5 and 2.9
every single esc is set, i can spin it using th channel from receiver
when i set yaw to zero, and power KK on i have no double led blink at all and motors just beep-beep all the time (classic beep when motor not 'paired' to esc throttle range)

i was able to set kk with previous fimware, but it was 4copter only.

Do you think my kk is fried?
Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
Maybe your Yaw zero is other way ?? Try rotating the pot to the other max point. It is possible that pots are inverted (as it happens in KK 4.7 for example)

next thing : to fly You need to arm the copter. After throttle calibration you turn it off set pot to middle turn on again and rudder to max right if it doesn't work it is possible that Your rudder channel is inverted, try max left. If it works, invert rudder channel in transmitter.

And last (but not least) the esc's may beep similar like they are not connected to receiver until You arm the copter.

(PS. Pozdrawiam kolegę słowianina ;D )
Jackuzy is offline Find More Posts by Jackuzy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
hm.. i was able to set throttle with previous firmware so it should be something different, but will try
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Pots reversed

I'm fairly new to the KK boards myself (started an MK Hexa project two years ago with a homebrew setup, but find the KK board just so prolific and inexpensive that it's hard to say no!).

I have the Turnigy Talon hexa frame and the HK 3.0 board (among others), and have found that various firmware "sees" the pots differently. I had success loading Rolf's version 1.3 of the "Sexycopter" firmware, but could never get any of the Minsoo Kim versions to do anything. The ESCs just sit there beeping at me. That's when I realized that the pots were being seen backwards to what the original firmware was seeing, and if you rotate them fully clockwise where you are being instructed to do the opposite, you can get the board to acknowledge the various setup modes.

One other thing I had to do (even after calibrating the sticks and throttle) was to add 1 click of downward trim to the throttle in order to get a value that would arm the board when the stick was moved down and right.

I've seen references to being able to reverse the pots, but I'm not sure which firmware supports that, and haven't tried it (it's one of those which involves moving the sitcks to full throttle with the Roll pot at the opposite extreme to it's current "zero" - and taking off the props "just in case" is a pain).

And what *is* the most current version of firmware for a hexacopter running with the HK 3.0 board? I'm finding that difficult to sort out with any certainty after much Googling.

Anyways, hope this is helpful.
philf6 is offline Find More Posts by philf6
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
please give me a link to that 1.3 you are using
so you say, using this you can fly talon 6copter?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
i found HexaCopterV1_3_M168_M328.hex and HexaCopterV1_3_M48_M88.hex
what to load?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Poland, Lodzkie, Lodz
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
the M168_M328 and M48_M88 is info for what micro controller they are compiled... for a V3 HK board use the M168_M328 version.
Jackuzy is offline Find More Posts by Jackuzy