Starter now using 18 volts.
skypup is online now Find More Posts by skypup
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:10 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
Put a lipo on that thing. I put a 4s on mine and it wil turn over my 35cc no problem.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:15 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
Put a lipo on that thing. I put a 4s on mine and it wil turn over my 35cc no problem.
I was going to do that and read where someone used the drill battery. I bought a new drill this spring and have a spare battery. It charges quickly and these drill batteries can take some serious abuse.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
Sounds like a great first run. I will be interested in your observations regarding vibration once it is in the airframe. I know the glow Saitos smaller than 150 are generally pretty smooth, but I've read that gassers are typically more shaky than glow engines.
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
It sounds like you are ready to install the engine now in your plane and set it up. The engine needs a good few hours before it is fully run in and you can perfect the tuning. You're best to do this in the air.

Your initial trim should be get the engine running reliably as possible (eg to avoid dead sticks) rather than perfect running. It should be slightly rich on the top end. A hiccup or two won't matter.

These engines are very sensitive to even one click of tune and impatience (I think) is a key to the engines having a bad rep with some.

I don't know if the FG21 comes with the Horizon Hobby American manual or a Jap/English one. If the latter, make sue you downloadthe manual from the HH website.

The key to tuning this engine is to get a few hours of airtime and then get serious. You need to try one click difference, take off, fly, land (and repeat the cycle) until it is perfect in the air. Perfect in the air is, unfortunately, different to perfect on the ground. The trade-off for a perfect top end in the air is usually a slighty rich and lumpy idle on the ground (eg the initial transition to WOT after idling for a while might hesitate).

Once funded, the engine will idle (sometimes a little lumpy) or WOT happily for hours. I get about one hour flying time with my FG-20 from 250mm of fuel.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGose View Post
Sounds like a great first run. I will be interested in your observations regarding vibration once it is in the airframe. I know the glow Saitos smaller than 150 are generally pretty smooth, but I've read that gassers are typically more shaky than glow engines.
I've had the experience of building and flying ultralight aircraft over the years. One thing I've appreciated is the resilience of aiframes made from wood versus metal. Metal tends to fatigue over time. Wood, J-3 Cub and others tend to hold up over the years. I plan on strengthening the air frame where I can without adding too much weight.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Sep 2005
114 Posts
Fg-21 saito performance info/ TF corsair 60 size

Can someone tell me info on the fg-21 on a plane, like type of plane, type of prop, etc

I have a TF 60 corsair ARF and I do not want to install a DLE because my dle 20 is in another plane and I want to try something different like a 4 stroke gas... And it looks like the FG-21 is the perfect candidate but is too new on the market and the info out there is limited... I read about the fg-20 and it had lots of problems....
Should I buy a fg-21 saito for my Top Flite 60 size Corsair??
cerralvo78 is offline Find More Posts by cerralvo78
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:10 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerralvo78 View Post
Can someone tell me info on the fg-21 on a plane, like type of plane, type of prop, etc

I have a TF 60 corsair ARF and I do not want to install a DLE because my dle 20 is in another plane and I want to try something different like a 4 stroke gas... And it looks like the FG-21 is the perfect candidate but is too new on the market and the info out there is limited... I read about the fg-20 and it had lots of problems....
Should I buy a fg-21 saito for my Top Flite 60 size Corsair??
I am putting mine in a seagull spacewalker II 120. Not sure how it would work in a 60 plane but if a 120 fourstroke would fit it might be possible but the FG 17 might be a better size. Mine has about 40 minutes "on the bench". The new ignition they are now using works great. I love the sound of mine. On my plane I had to add a 5/8" ply spacer to the firewall to get the prop driver past the cowl. I am also going to use and rc specialties "turbo muffler"If you go to post #15 in this thread you can see mine running. If you need measurements or other info let me know.

I have a 90 sized birdog and have been thinking of buying the FG-17 for it.
Last edited by skypup; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: txt pic
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
My plane for the FG-21

This is the plane for my FG-21.......getting close. Will fly without cowl first.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,078 Posts
Your Spacewalker is a beauty. Keep us informed how that engine breaks in. I love my FG-14 and want a 21 really bad..... The FG-14 took a few hours to settle down but now she runs like a fine watch. Idles down like a Harley. Good idea to fly without the cowl till she settles in I got tired of the "on, off" for the first several tanks.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
which engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
Your Spacewalker is a beauty. Keep us informed how that engine breaks in. I love my FG-14 and want a 21 really bad..... The FG-14 took a few hours to settle down but now she runs like a fine watch. Idles down like a Harley. Good idea to fly without the cowl till she settles in I got tired of the "on, off" for the first several tanks.
Thanks. I took her to the club "show and tell" and she got a lot of attention. I'm hoping the FG-21 breaks in before I crash this beauty. My next problem is deciding on a saito 170 3 cylinder radial or the new Evolution 7 cylinder radial for a 1/5 72" Pica Waco I am going to build.

UMS 7-35 Radial engine (3 min 56 sec)

UMS 7-35.wmv radial rc engine (1 min 15 sec)

or

New A6M5 Zero with Saito 170R radial initial run (0 min 36 sec)
Last edited by skypup; Sep 22, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Attunga
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
G'day Skypup,
I finally received my FG21 yesterday, have been working on setting up a test bench all day today, will run her tomorrow, for the first time.
I have the exact same Spacewalker to put my FG21 in.
Still have the FA125a that I originally bought for it, but I think petrol (sorry gas for you guys in the USof A) is a much more economical proposition. I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers
Allan
alan0899 is offline Find More Posts by alan0899
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:15 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0899 View Post
G'day Skypup,
I finally received my FG21 yesterday, have been working on setting up a test bench all day today, will run her tomorrow, for the first time.
I have the exact same Spacewalker to put my FG21 in.
Still have the FA125a that I originally bought for it, but I think petrol (sorry gas for you guys in the USof A) is a much more economical proposition. I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers
Allan
I'd like to k now too. You may get in the air first.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Attunga
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
I'd like to k now too. You may get in the air first.
G'day Skypup,
I ran the FG21 this morning, what a sweet running engine !!!!, idle's at 1850 RPM, with instant pickup, have not touched the idle mixture, HS needle is very rich, about 6 turns out, still running about 5,000 RPM with a 17x6 APC.
I know I'm gunna love this engine when it eventually runs in, sorry you blokes call it break in, I just can't use those words, it suggests I'm breaking it, & I don't want to do that.
I'll continue to run it on the bench for another 30 odd minutes, then it's flying time.

Cheers
Allan.

Keep Thine Airspeed up, lest the ground arrise & smite thee.
alan0899 is offline Find More Posts by alan0899
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0899 View Post
I know I'm gunna love this engine when it eventually runs in, sorry you blokes call it break in, I just can't use those words, it suggests I'm breaking it, & I don't want to do that.
Cheers
Allan.
Ah, "run-in". A phrase I remember from the instruction manual of my English-built Irvine engines... It does sound more proper than breaking I suppose.

Thanks for up the update, I am watching this thread closely.
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose