HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:49 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
Discussion
Hey guys! Help me pick a new park/slow flyer!!!

I just moved to a new house and we're the only ones in a new subdivision! I have flying space and "paved runways" for the first time (my club only has a grass runway).

I've been flying my Slow Stick but I need something that'll handle wind better. There seems to be a constant 5-10+ mph wind every day.

It needs to be something that can land kind of slow because the street curves often. I have a Sky Surfer/Bixler but was thinking of maybe a Fun Cub...

What are your ideas?

Thx!
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
And once again I brag on how much I *love* this plane!

GWS E-Starter

This is a great flying plane, and it's durable as the day is long. It's hard to beat the E....foam construction, 37in wingspan and 17-20oz AUW.

Get a Power Up 450 Sport from HeadsUpRC ($17, plus $2 shipping)
20A ESC
HD8040 prop
9G servos (I would use two for ailerons, much better than the GWS "rod" method)
3S 1300mAh pack

All this stuff combined for a $2 shipping fee.

Other salient characteristics of the E:

- Inexpensive (around $35 or so for one without a power system)
- Easy to build
- Easy to repair
- Flies GREAT in the wind
- Can be flown in areas with limited airspace
- A good floater but also can do a lot more
- Seems to fly well with MANY different motor/prop/battery combos.
- Also *very* forgiving in relation to CoG, I've moved my CoG all around on this bird and she flew well no matter what.

A great beginner plane but also fun for experienced pilots. Some pilots remove the dihedral for more advanced flying.

Ric
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
I forgot to say...the E does require a build....although it's an easy process that can be done by pretty much anyone, despite their level of building expertise. Besides....building is a *huge* part of this sport, and this is a good one to learn on.

I know that many will say that cheap foamies from overseas aren't the best. That does not apply to the E....it's tried and true. You can build it to the level you want, and I can't say that I've seen anyone who's owned this bird complain about it after the fact...at least not any major gripes.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,932 Posts
Well, you already have it! Just add this: http://www.millenniumrc.com/SlowStickX_XTrainer.html, or, from Stephens AeroModeling http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...2-p-18450.html
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jul 26, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
I've considered getting another E-Starter. It was my second airplane a few years ago, the one I learnt ailerons on. I loved it and it took a lot of abuse!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
Have you considered a warbird of some kind? Since you are used to ailerons and 4+ channel planes, may I recommend the following:

Parkzone T-28 Trojan
Flyzone Focke-Wulf 190 Select Scale

I have both of these and both are nice stable airplanes. The Focke-Wulf can fly slowly and is really docile in the air. Hard to believe I know, but it's true. Both these planes, especially the Focke-Wulf can handle a lot more wind than a high wing plane.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
I actually haven't considered any warbirds even though that's what most of my larger balsa planes are. I have a few of the 800mm Airfield/FMS warbirds and they seem to want to land a little too fast. I love the T-28 and FW-190 recommendations!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,938 Posts
the pz t28 can be slowed down to a crawl for landing. +1 on chuck's recommendation on that.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
Hmmm, maybe this one? I can pick one up for $100 + shipping.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-red-arf.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,667 Posts
Probably no end to suggestions, but I love the Hacker Super Zoom for small area flying with fully aerobatic abilities. Set it up from a trainer to full 3d or anything in between. Hard core 3ders probably find it lacking, but with it's fully airfoil wing it makes a super slow flying aerobatic plane or trainer.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:11 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
I've considered getting another E-Starter. It was my second airplane a few years ago, the one I learnt ailerons on. I loved it and it took a lot of abuse!
Exactly why I mentioned it...!

But y'know...I have a bud whom I fly with occasionally, and he flies a foamy 3D plane. He just flies around and and does a lotta cool aerobatics in a very relaxed manner, then floats that guy down at a 45 degree angle and lands it light as a feather in exactly the same 10ft square every time. It's awesome.

Lemme ping him and get his input. I've never flown those kinda planes myself, but if you want to keep your landings under maximum control it sure seems like the stuff he flies is what ya want.

Ric
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Probably no end to suggestions, but I love the Hacker Super Zoom for small area flying with fully aerobatic abilities. Set it up from a trainer to full 3d or anything in between. Hard core 3ders probably find it lacking, but with it's fully airfoil wing it makes a super slow flying aerobatic plane or trainer.
+1. The Hacker Zoom and Hyperion Sniper are nearly identical. Very floaty, very agile, and because they're EPP, as close to "indestructible" as an RC plane can be.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
bicyclemonkey,

Please excuse me, I misinterpreted your first post...I thought you were looking for a 2nd plane to get after flying the slow stick.

My apologies, and thank you for tactfully informing me without rippin' me a new one....

Ric
Last edited by whowhatwhere; Jul 26, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
Exactly why I mentioned it...!

But y'know...I have a bud whom I fly with occasionally, and he flies a foamy 3D plane. He just flies around and and does a lotta cool aerobatics in a very relaxed manner, then floats that guy down at a 45 degree angle and lands it light as a feather in exactly the same 10ft square every time. It's awesome.

Lemme ping him and get his input. I've never flown those kinda planes myself, but if you want to keep your landings under maximum control it sure seems like the stuff he flies is what ya want.

Ric
That's why we mention the Hacker or Hyperion above. This is what you do with these babies. I have came a bit too close and hit my foot a time or two on the spot landings. Gettin old, just hate to walk out after these things.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
PZ Trojan or Corair all the way!! (I can't speak about the Corsair v.2 as it's not out yet, but the v.1 is GREAT!)
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man