HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera HOTEN-X Quadrotor Mini-Review

Hi - I just got one of these in my dirty little fingers and figured I'd put a review up for anyone multi-rotor inclined to take a look at.

I'll grab a couple of posts at the start and then start writing.

So first of all… what’s in the box?

So in mine... Devo 7 on the right, spare props, the Hoten-X, standard 2S/3S Walkera charger with power adapter, a battery and some battery adapter cables plus a bind plug.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the size of it all in fact but then that might be because the last thing to arrive was a Ladybird.
Since everything is pretty standard and there are other threads for the Devo Tx I'm going to skip it and go straight to the part you're here for -

THE HOTEN-X

Sleek streamlined body inspired from a German WWII invention. Black props at the front, orange props at the rear. Nice neat landing gear with some little rubber nuts to provide a bit of grip.

In terms of size and weight, here it is vs a Ladybird and for those who don't have one of those yet, a CD. The all up weight is a skinny 322g which almost matches the motor to motor distance of 330mm - by design?

Props are a decent 7inch size and the motors are probably kv1200 or maybe a little faster kv1500~1800, I don't remember seeing the spec written anywhere.

Those 4 motors are attached to the arms by way of 4 very sturdy aluminium clamps, very robust and good protection for the motors. There's a hole through which you can add a drop of bearing oil to keep your motors sweet.
I'm not sure what the arms are made of yet but they are pretty stiff so I'm guessing it's some carbon composite. I guess when everything was first assembled they had some sort of jig to make sure those arms and motors end up vertical because as far as I could tell today the yaw response was pretty equal in either direct.

At the body, there are 4 plastic clamps, also pretty solid things held between two composite plates.

On the bottom of those plates, is a sturdy, yet flexible, pressed metal landing gear mount, then battery holder, which does a really magnificent job of keeping the battery snugly attached to the Hoten. It is a flexible plastic attached to the main plates with a number of - and this is news - CAP Head Bolts! YES! CAP Heads!
In fact, I have yet to find anything other than cap heads on this new model and it's nice to be free from those tiny screws that lose their X or shear in half. There has been no option on some Walkera helis but on the Hoten-X there's no problem for weight or space so there was no compromise it seems.

Much as I'd love to pull all the wires off and unscrew everything for you to really see what's inside I'm sure that I'd be spoiling the fun for a lot of you so someone else can do that (or maybe if I have a very very bad crash).
I've done my best in the photos attached here to capture most views without taking bits apart. One nice touch visible here is the rubber mounts for the flight controller. There's been quite a lot of attention to detail and for anyone thinking that flying a 330mm multirotor might be a bit of a laugh then this is a good RTF/BNF quad to get started in on. In stable mode it's just like the freeflight board - it really keeps a good level but better than the freeflight it tries to compensate for drift as well. In a stronger breeze it can make the quad appear a bit erratic but actually it does a pretty good job of keeping it where you want it.

The controller board has the aerial attached - I might try to move mine a little further away from all the stuff, and underneath that there are all the FETs for the ESCs.

Before I leave it for tonight, this photo shows where the plugs for the light hook up. The Headlights are the 'Futaba' type plugs sitting on the standard sized headers and the dual colour LEDs which let you know if you're in RED NORM mode or BLUE STUNT mode are connected into a micro plug at the front edge of the board.
Great way of making it easy to identify which mode you're about to fly with.

I'm going to leave it there for now but if there are questions, more shots that you want to see then let me know and I'll see what I can add.
And finally, here are my two videos:
Walkera HOTEN-X - Maiden Flight - UNCUT (11 min 47 sec)

Trying to potter about but actually flying 3D mode - much more responsive but still self levelling than the following NORM mode flight.
Walkera HOTEN-X - In Level Mode - On board cam (#16 808) (6 min 3 sec)
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Reserved
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
More info here
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Hey thwaitm,

This may be a stupid question but ... will this bind with a Spektrum TX?
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Last edited by Scootatrash; Jul 26, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Nope - Walkera Devo only, but honestly, the Devo 10 combo is great value. The Devo 10 is really a great Tx.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
549 Posts
Can it carry a gopro?
Ariete is offline Find More Posts by Ariete
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
I think it could get it off the ground but really 'fly', I think the GoPro would be too much for it.

I have a homebuilt which likes to carry the GoPro but it has X2212-980KV motors and 10in props. Comes in at ~1kg AUW and has probably double the Thrust to Weight ratio.

The key chain cams now have a range of lenses to suit your FOV needs and I think that is by far the better solution.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:28 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Nope - Walkera Devo only, but honestly, the Devo 10 combo is great value. The Devo 10 is really a great Tx.
The Devo 10 is a good TX just like my WK2801 pro. Trouble is this won't bind with that so I'm too peeved with Walkera to take on that extra expense.

Also bear in mind that if you want the telemetry it's going to need the more expensive 8s or 12s Devo.

The quad looks good, but for all the extra expense I could buy something better and fly it with my existing Walkera TX.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:37 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
I feel like puking.....
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Devo 10 has telemetry...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:12 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Devo 10 has telemetry... good for monitoring battery and with the extra bits temp too.
But a battery buzzer for $3 from HKing achieves nearly the same result.
I bought a 2801 too but I have 4 models which fly with it.
I knew getting.a Devo was a bad idea because I have 6 that now fly with that instead...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
The Devo 10 is a good TX just like my WK2801 pro. Trouble is this won't bind with that so I'm too peeved with Walkera to take on that extra expense.

Also bear in mind that if you want the telemetry it's going to need the more expensive 8s or 12s Devo.

The quad looks good, but for all the extra expense I could buy something better and fly it with my existing Walkera TX.
The DEVO 10 has telemetry functions...
FDR_ is online now Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat View Post
I feel like puking.....
Don't try FPV then...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:39 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Devo 10 has telemetry... good for monitoring battery and with the extra bits temp too.
But a battery buzzer for $3 from HKing achieves nearly the same result.
I bought a 2801 too but I have 4 models which fly with it.
I knew getting.a Devo was a bad idea because I have 6 that now fly with that instead...
The 2801 pro is a good TX I fly 5 Walkera's and a couple of my gas heli's on mine.
I guess if Walkera did offer PNP it would probably be 8 by now with a Hoten in the post.

Maybe I should send Walkera a thank you note for the money they've saved me
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,619 Posts
Can't find a single YouTube video about this quad. There was ONE and it's been removed. By video I mean flight video, not on-board camera video. You know... A video in which you can see the quad flying.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor