HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Discussion
This pig don't fly

This little piggy didn't fly too well. I think I could have worked it out but broke motor wires on maiden flight then got involved with my wings. Maybe will try again later.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; Jul 26, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:24 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
That's a fun design.... I wonder if putting the motor on the nose would be easier to achieve stability? It looks like your 'pushing' point as-is is well behind where the cg/neutral point would be.... of course, you could stick on a 3-axis gyro .

I'll be watching .... interested to see what happens if pigs really do fly ;-). LOL
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
That's a fun design.... I wonder if putting the motor on the nose would be easier to achieve stability? It looks like your 'pushing' point as-is is well behind where the cg/neutral point would be.... of course, you could stick on a 3-axis gyro .

I'll be watching .... interested to see what happens if pigs really do fly ;-). LOL
Thanks. I always thought a coke bottle would make a good lifting body. I did move the wings back as far as I could but never did figure out the cg. I will try with some larger wings and maybe move the motor up front as you suggest.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: P51 Landing Gear
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:11 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,978 Posts
It would fly much better with a vertical tail added.
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
It would fly much better with a vertical tail added.
Yeah, your right. Next time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Soda Bottle Pig Plane

LOL, now that is a cute idea. Sort of like a short B-29 sort of thing. I am wondering if it would be possible and practical to put too soda bottles together to make the fuselage longer and get a bit more wing on the design. I think a long time ago I saw some plastic B-29 kit bashing that had some interesting ideas put forth. Most used shorten fuselage, wings, and variations on the theme. In most cases you could still see the original kit parts, but in some of the more imaginative creations it was harder to tell where the parts came from. Non of them were RC flyers, but I can see how a soda bottle could end up looking like a kit bashed B-29, or flying pig.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
The thing about this pop bottle is the thickness of the plastic is too think, not very supportive. Wish I had way to make it not crinkle so easily.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
I can see what you mean about the thin plastic. Maybe a thin fiber glass ring around the section the wings are attached? Not sure what else would look and work well. I made one of those ring flyers, which is thrown like a foot ball to spin a long distance, out of two soda bottles, and the front edge is made from part of the second soda bottle. It gives the ring-ball an airfoil, like a KFm airfoil. Maybe the same thing can be done to stiffen the wing mount ring rather than making a fiber glass ring. To shrink the soda bottle plastic,I dipped it in hot water a few times. You do have to work fast since the plastic will shrink and warp easily.
Last edited by Tsavah; Aug 28, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling ...
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Thanks Tsavah, will try that when I get back to this project. Right now I am into robotic motion stuff but I am building a new wing. You have actually responded to some of my videos on youtube and I alway appreciate your input even if I don't get a reply in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:50 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Makin' the Bacon Fly

I do hope you get back to this project in the future. I am thinking thin plastic 2 liter, or bigger soda bottle with the cap part cut off. Not sure what type of glue would work best on the thin plastic, but the idea just screams quick and easy comic plane. Love it.