HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Discussion
Difference between parkzone and eflite motors?

I have been to all my LHS and none can give me a good reason why eflite is always suggested over the parkzone variant. For example, eflite 480 vs parkzone 480 with same kv output. The only reasons I can come up with are that the eflite motors are possibly lighter and more mount friendly than parkzone ones, but does anyone have any real data info on this?

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:05 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
There is none, they are the same people. Its just that eflite is more popular and well known. And they have a wider range, they are horizon's main elctronics people.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Thanks for the input, I guess my 3d foamy will get a parkzone 480 instead of a eflite one since I have a few of those motors just lying around.

Coot
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
You need to check out Heads Up RC online. They have the Powerup motors in various sizes and Kv rating at 1/2 the cost of the E-flite sticker. I use them in everything I fly including my high dollar big birds. For larger motors I use their Firepower motors. I like their HURC ESC's too. And!! FAST 3 day $2.00 shipping. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Parkzone uses plastic bell house ends on their motors.
Parkzone motors come in a clear plastic bag with no information or hardware.
There is essentially no support information on Parkzone motors.

Eflite uses metal bell house ends.
Eflite motors come in a box with instructions, mounting hardware, and female bullet connectors.
Eflite has detailed specs on their motors, suggested cell counts and prop sizes.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys...that makes alot of sense eclipse as from a warranty stand point I can see how eflite will always be suggested over parkzone as their motors have official notification. The main reason I ask this is I plan to scratch build a a basic 3d foamy to practice/crash on and I have a bunch of parkzone 480 motors and am considering just using one of those motors instead of getting the eflite equivalent. Would this approach be a smart move?

Coot
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,080 Posts
If ya got it, use it. then when you get better, you can get a better plane and motor. Just have fun doing it. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Use whatever you have! Check this"plane" out that I made from the guts of a crashed Parkzone Stinson. I used a yard stick for the fuselage, a top of a paint spray can for the motor mount, the remainder of the Stinson wing, minus 6" in the middle, the tail end of a HZ Super Cub, a Parkzone 480 and various electronics from the donor plane. It was hell figuring out the CG. It still is a great plane to fly, better that the stock one..Dave/Z...BTW, it's 3' long I think.....
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
Parkzone vs Eflite motors. Beyond the easy visual differences of plastic bell vs machined aluminum there is the weight. Pz 480s are twice as heavy as the Eflites. The Pz 480 weighs the same as the Eflite "Power ten" motor but only has the power of the Eflite 450 motor. The Eflite 480 is close to twice the power and thirty percent more effiecent than the Pz 480.
Given the choice between the two I'd go with the Eflite every time.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
You can actually swap the bell housings between the eflite and the parkzone. I don't know if the eflite can run on a 18amp esc but the parkzone can since that's what comes in a wildcat. Both motors use a composite coil assembly so stripping the screws is quite easy.
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Good post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
Parkzone uses plastic bell house ends on their motors.
Parkzone motors come in a clear plastic bag with no information or hardware.
There is essentially no support information on Parkzone motors.

Eflite uses metal bell house ends.
Eflite motors come in a box with instructions, mounting hardware, and female bullet connectors.
Eflite has detailed specs on their motors, suggested cell counts and prop sizes.
Thanks for pointing that out, I have always felt the E-Flite motors were a little better quality than Parkzone ones thought I've never had a problem with PZ motors...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun