HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Walking with the Lord
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Discussion
Who wants an RC mobile application?

I am a software developer looking for interests in a mobile device application for the RC enthusiasts. I too am an RC enthusiast and thought I would offer my skills in software to develop an app for RC'ers but don't know what the broad scope of interests are that you all have. I will initially make an app for Apple products, iPhones and iPads.

Post up what you would like here, you just might get it.

Thanks all.. Checkout my Wright Flyer Build Log too while you' thinking of an app idea.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661701
GravyBones is offline Find More Posts by GravyBones
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:25 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
648 Posts
Forget the overpriced Apple and go for the Android platform...

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:02 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,275 Posts
Blackberry!
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Walking with the Lord
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Given apple on the forefront of product design and software with more apps than the "follower type" android or antiquated blackberry, i'll stick with the pathfinder Apple as other products seem to follow their direction. I've done the comparison and Ice cream sandwich is not every-day-user friendly. Hardware is not a good argument if the interface lacks intuition. Plus the build quality of the hardware is enough to turn off steady buyers. Have you looked into how those android plastic phone are built? Yikes. Look into it. Even that new galaxy S III is like a bic lighter.

Thanks for the replies so far, I imagine I'll get around to helping androids grow their smaller app base someday, but the interface leaves much to be desired in intuition. It just feels too windows-y right now.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:08 AM
Walking with the Lord
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
Blackberry!
I didn't know people used blackberries outside of the office, or for more than reading email. Go figure
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
but i like my Bic and lot of people do. And 'Bic' products work! The best no but affordable and replace at modest cost
Apple yes i would expect it to be very good to develop for its there hardware and under there full control.

Thanks for your offer.
Phil
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
A MotoCalc style flight performance calculator would be great.

A database of the current crop of brushless motors, possibly built into the performance calculator.

Audio tachometer

Audio doppler speedometer.

flight timer. That's probably pretty much built into the phone, but you could design one that's more aimed at RC use, IE have a 10 or so plane memory; you tell it which plane you're flying, and it sets the appropriate time for that plane.

I always have to help the guys at the field gestimate CG location on strange configuration wings ( tapered, swept, stagger biplanes, etc). It would be great if you could enter desired CG (% MAC) and wing dimensions, and the app tells you CG location at root.

Input the voltage after a flight and cell count, and the app gives % of power remaining.

I am an Android user, so I guess I'll have to wait 'till you get around to that platform. I'm NOT going back to an IPhone no matter how great your app is.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Last edited by Dan Baldwin; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyBones View Post
I didn't know people used blackberries outside of the office, or for more than reading email. Go figure
I've got the tablet, although even at 16 I send at least 10 business related emails every day, and could probably use a phone for email.
The new motorola razr is either FG or plastic and the whole backing is CF, strong and sexy.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
Alberta
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
I'm an ASUS ePad Transformer guy and would sure love to have an Android Apps version of RCG Maps . . . Please!
Gordom is offline Find More Posts by Gordom
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Android is the ticket
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Walking with the Lord
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin View Post
A MotoCalc style flight performance calculator would be great.

A database of the current crop of brushless motors, possibly built into the performance calculator.

Audio tachometer

Audio doppler speedometer.

flight timer. That's probably pretty much built into the phone, but you could design one that's more aimed at RC use, IE have a 10 or so plane memory; you tell it which plane you're flying, and it sets the appropriate time for that plane.

I always have to help the guys at the field gestimate CG location on strange configuration wings ( tapered, swept, stagger biplanes, etc). It would be great if you could enter desired CG (% MAC) and wing dimensions, and the app tells you CG location at root.

Input the voltage after a flight and cell count, and the app gives % of power remaining.

I am an Android user, so I guess I'll have to wait 'till you get around to that platform. I'm NOT going back to an IPhone no matter how great your app is.

Dan
Thanks for an idea and good ones at that.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
Walking with the Lord
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
Rather than post hardware platforms you like, i am more interested in ideas, regardless of platform. I can develop for either platform.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,275 Posts
Can you do image recognition? I know it's hard being a coding dabbler myself but if you could input the distance of the pond you are running in and detect a colour change to find the edge, you could upload a clip into the app and detect the speed of the boat.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
+1 for Audio doppler speedometer if you make it free
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
What would be really cool would be a way to have a pan/tilt automatically tracking your model. Just feed it video and let it keep the model centered as you pilot it. Probably not something any phone would do well, though. I'd want composite video in off a video splitter (the other side going to the DVR).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor