Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:04 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
It's made of fairly soft rubber and is just a force fit over the motor shaft. Stays on plenty tight, you have to really wiggle and work it to remove it. I've used these before on the small bell style motors like this plane has. Never had a problem with them.

Most other spinners use a backing plate that will leave a big gap between the plate and the fuselage with this motor. This one avoids that issue.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 08, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I've had more than a dozen foam Cessnas and have kept only the ones ( 5 so far) that I really like. Not sure yet if the 40" FMS is a "keeper".
I've now logged 18 flights on this little plane and I'm ready to pronounce it a "keeper".

Propping it up a little gave it just enough extra power to get it out of the underpowered category. I like this approach as it doesn't require the extra weight of a 3 cell battery. I generally like to keep 'em as light and simple as possible.

Use a computer radio; tame the elevator throw and add a little expo and you've got a stable and smooth flyer considering it's small size. And it looks terrific around dusk when the lights show up best.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Hey dbc, I just got this plane about 3 days ago. It put it together and it is great looking but I have been having some issues. I am just trying to get it up on a maiden flight but when I power up the motor and then go to full power and then back down again, and then back to full power, the motor will suddenly stop at full power, and drop back to about half throttle even though I havent changed from full power on the transmitter. Then after about 5-10 seconds the motor will completely stop and do a quick repeated beeping noise with no pause in between untill I unplug the battery. The servos still work after this but the motor wont turn on again. The battery cable and plug also get extremely hot. Smoke even came out of the cowl once..... I really need a solution to this problem. I have not even taken it up yet because I luckily figured out this issue on the ground. Please Help!!!!!
bbeachy is offline Find More Posts by bbeachy
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:17 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
This thread seems to have gone dead. Quamin? voxel? Any more experiences?

I'm very happy with 2 cell power with the slightly larger prop and have enjoyed several more flights. Nice flyer for its small size and looks great at dusk with the adequately bright lights. That landing light on the wing, when seen from in front, is very bright. Just like the real plane.
Nope. Two new UMXes have kept me occupied Also, a friend with tons more experience has been maidening my baby EDFs (which have serious build issues - warped surfaces, etc.).

This weekend, I'll try to re-maiden it with 3s with a throttle limit (UMX Beast pilots do just that). At 70% throttle, I hit 15A on a static test. One of my cheaper Deans to JST cables (into the watt meter) got warm during the test, but one wire to the ESC did not.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
bbeachy:

Don't attempt to fly it until this problem is resolved. It's serious.

It's probably either a bad motor or ESC - but it can be hard to tell which unless you have some spare parts to substitute. In situations like this, I first substitute an ESC I know is good. If its the same I go back to original ESC and try another similar motor.

It's also possible, but unlikely, that the ESC is programmed incorrectly. Have you tried to reset it to the factory default settings? They are good enough for acceptable performance.

Wish I could provide more help - and I'd be happy to help you with it if you're anywhere near me in Central FL.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for the input. I wish I was near you in Florida but I am in Alaska!!! It is weird sometimes it will work for a while normally and then all of a sudden the motor will just go to half speed and then just stop and the esc starts beeping rapidly. Could it be a tx/rx issue? Maybe ill try that also.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Doubtful that it's radio related- but anything's possible! I'm concerned about the hot cable and plug. This should never get more than mildly warm. And you should never see smoke from anything.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,363 Posts
Re-maidened with a 1150mah 3s battery that was nice and easy. The foam is solid and the surfaces are flat and smooth unlike the SkyAngel jets I was also trying to maiden (warped foam causes odd flight characteristics).

A tad tail heavy still. Even with 21+ g of lead too. The old battery wasn't the strongest so I drew maybe 15-16A - enough power to do loops and rolls.

Smashed a prop on a curb because I no longer have nose steering and I was taking off from a street (yeah, bad idea - but it is usually empty). Gah. Have a half-dozen replacement props from PW-RC but I really should try the 2-blade mod.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
I'm surprised your still tail heavy with the 3 cell. Doesn't it weight a good deal more than the 2?

I guess each plane is a little different. But mine only required 14g on the firewall under the cowl to balance with the supplied 64g 2 cell.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
I'm surprised your still tail heavy with the 3 cell. Doesn't it weight a good deal more than the 2?

I guess each plane is a little different. But mine only required 14g on the firewall under the cowl to balance with the supplied 64g 2 cell.
Maybe 20-30g more. It's an old lipo that's pretty light for it's size. I had previously removed 14g or 21g from the nose so the battery didn't add too much in the end.

FYI - another difference is that I previously added a tail wheel to counterbalance the taller nose wheel (from a T28D).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Hey this is a video I made of the issue that is occuring with the plane. It is a little bit different every time, but this is a pretty good idea of what happens. Let me know what you think.
Cessna Issues (2 min 42 sec)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
I'm betting it's a defective ESC. Possibly motor, but unlikely. Almost certainly not radio related.
I'm sending you a PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeachy View Post
Hey this is a video I made of the issue that is occuring with the plane. It is a little bit different every time, but this is a pretty good idea of what happens. Let me know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVeXg-37r8
Also think it's the ESC, but could be a TX or RX going bonkers (less likely). Do you have another TX + RX you could use or a spare ESC?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
I got a couple of flights in this evening around sundown. Calm conditions and the great lights make for a very realistic looking 182. I'm very pleased with this plane, especially considering its modest price.

We're working on bbeachy's problem and soon should have him in the air too. Maybe he'll post a video of flying in that beautiful Alaska country.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Oh I will. I will even try the gum cam I got for a different plane I have and see how many vibrations this plane puts in the footage! I cant wait to fly!!!!