SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
voxel: Do you have a 3s light enough to get the plane to balance without adding tail weight?
I'd very much like the power of 3s but dont want to add 60g to the plane.
I have various 3s lipos - 850, 950, 1300, 1800, 2200 with mostly Deans or EC3 connectors. I just order a ton of adapters (incl. JST ones) that should arrive before the weekend.

I already have 30+ grams of lead on the nose so I'd rather than be a battery!
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
Your plane required about twice as much dead weight to balance as mine did. There's always some variance plane -to-plane. I agree that the weight should be productive - not lead!

JST connectors should only be use up to about 12-14 amp draw. You might consider changing the plug on the ESC to match your other batteries with better connectors.

Got a couple of more flights on mine this morning in dead calm conditions. The 2s power is adequate for scale flying with no wind. Enjoyed it more than the first few flights.

The mini transmitter works fine for me, but it's narrow stick spacing, short sticks, and stiff springs and gimbals are not good. Going back to full sized Spektrum and Futaba transmitters made me realize how the mini affects control precision.

Ive said it before, but this plane is not a trainer and not for beginners. Especially when flown with the supplied radio.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 01, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:01 PM
The Flying Fox
United States, WI, Manitowoc
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Well I must say, after maidening my plane a couple of days ago, it flies nicely. There were no more than 6 mph winds and I didn't even notice any difference with this. Being in Wisconsin, it's rather windy so I take what I can get. We were located in a wide open undeveloped subdivision which may be turned to a city park in the future.

This was the first time ever flying a plane, so I found the time in the simulator helps alot, especially for landings! Firstly, though, I made the noobie mistake of not checking my ailerons correctly. First three runs down the pavement had it pull up and flip over at about 4 ft in the air when I clearly did not want it to go that way. It held up fine and nothing was damaged.
Found out I needed to reverse the controls. No biggie. 4th time it lifted off, up and away! I was not expecting stellar performance, but then I've never flown a real trainer either. I did a couple of passes and heard some odd noises but no lossin power/control so decided to cut the flight short and line up to land. It came in smoother than I imagined, using a little power and then cut it at the end. My wife filmed this on her iPhone as it came in, so I want to see it later, and I pushed just slightly forward too much and it bounced. I noticed though that the weak gear in the front was sideways and would not move. I still had to come down so it landed smoothly and quickly with the false brake I created from the bounce. Ate away at the wheel rubber a little and bent the thing. No more flights for that day. I got home, cleaned it up from grass stains, bent the front gear back into shape, and it will be good to go again. I can't wait! My wife still will be practicing on the trainer, but hers is ready to fly as well. I keep encouraging her to get the landings right

This may not be the best trainer to start with, but wow will you be proud if you land it right! At dusk, the lights on the thing coming in for a landing look awesome.
Quamin is offline Find More Posts by Quamin
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:12 PM
The Flying Fox
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Thanks for the report, dbc!

I put 32g of weight so far with the 1300mah stock battery to get the 55mm-from-LE CG. Will re-maiden soon. The first maiden ended quickly - broke a propeller and bent the nose wheel (which will happen anyways because it's tiny). This plane is tough/solid. Explains why it's so heavy - lol.

Did you use the stock transmitter?

The engine can handle 3S as my FMS mini warbird with the same engine and (I believe) 20A ESC use a 3S setup (with Deans connectors).
Stock Transmitter/Battery/Everything. I didn't even check the balance and it flew fine in level flight. I'll fix that before flying again. May get and use a keychain camera in the front for the added weight.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,626 Posts
Thanks for the flight log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quamin View Post
Stock Transmitter/Battery/Everything. I didn't even check the balance and it flew fine in level flight. I'll fix that before flying again. May get and use a keychain camera in the front for the added weight.
I ripped out the receiver and use a OrangeRX 6CH now. Plan to use expo and a smidge of dual rates to keep it everything smooth. I hated trimming on the stock transmitter and my right stick arrived broken (which I glued back on) from Banana Hobby.

I also created a nose breathing hole for cooling and may drill one mid-tail. I also dropped 14g of lead weight by shoving everything further forward (in the cabin and in the battery area). My maiden flight (stock) a few weeks back was very tail heavy. Nosed up immediately - all surfaces were level with no trim.

I replaced the shoddy nose wheel with a PZ T28D one then jammed in a spare tail wheel just in case. It doesn't turn, but I don't care.

I also got my repaired Eagle Tree Guardian back. Thinking of putting it in for kicks. LOL.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
I've now gotten a dozen flights on this plane. I replaced the stock radio equipment with Spektrum AR 600 Rx and use my DX6i Tx. I adjusted the control surface throws and added a little expo.It flys nicer now and I'm a lot more comfortable with the full size Tx.

I did manage to break the prop while shooting touch-and-goes. Installed a GWS 8x6 two blade and it made a noticable improvement in performance. Power draw went up only about 6% but the better efficiency of the larger 2 blade made it fly much nicer.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 02, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
This thread seems to have gone dead. Quamin? voxel? Any more experiences?

I'm very happy with 2 cell power with the slightly larger prop and have enjoyed several more flights. Nice flyer for its small size and looks great at dusk with the adequately bright lights. That landing light on the wing, when seen from in front, is very bright. Just like the real plane.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:34 AM
The Flying Fox
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
This thread seems to have gone dead. Quamin? voxel? Any more experiences?

I'm very happy with 2 cell power with the slightly larger prop and have enjoyed several more flights. Nice flyer for its small size and looks great at dusk with the adequately bright lights. That landing light on the wing, when seen from in front, is very bright. Just like the real plane.
Well, I haven't had a chance to go out with it again since the maiden flight. I'm urging my Wife to continue training on the sim so she can take hers out with me! She is excited to do so though!

My problem though (beyond awaiting her training) is the wind up here in Wisconsin, closer to the lakeshore. Lately it's been around 10-15 mph and I'm looking for wind 7mph or lower to learn. That... and I'm working on packing to be ready to move into our first house It's very exciting but takes a bit of time out of one's schedule. I hope to have the maiden video posted though once I can get it from my wife!
Last edited by Quamin; Aug 07, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
Wise move to await calmer winds. Better to wait a day or two. Planes this small just don't like much wind. I'm flying mine early in the morning or around sundown when the conditions are often dead calm. Some of my larger planes I'll fly in some wind but this one just isn't much fun under these conditions.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:15 PM
The Flying Fox
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Wise move to await calmer winds. Better to wait a day or two. Planes this small just don't like much wind. I'm flying mine early in the morning or around sundown when the conditions are often dead calm. Some of my larger planes I'll fly in some wind but this one just isn't much fun under these conditions.
Do you know what would be the max wind for flying (not learning to fly) this 40" foamie? I read plenty that bigger ones are more stable in wind, but I guess I'm curious about safe ranges. Obviously power can be an issue, because wind could take a low-powered plane far away, but how about for this one?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
I think that depends on your comfort (and skill) level. Some people are fine in 15-20 mph, or even higher winds. Any wind, and I mean any at all, makes a plane more difficult to control.

Ive logged nearly two thousand RC flights but when it becomes a struggle to maintain control then it's no fun and I quit. I don't mind a light breeze, its a good challenge and it can sharpen your skills. Everyone has to determine their own comfort level.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 07, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quamin View Post
Do you know what would be the max wind for flying (not learning to fly) this 40" foamie? Obviously power can be an issue, because wind could take a low-powered plane far away, but how about for this one?
Your question prompted me to run some more measurements on this plane. I'm now using a GWS 8x6 HD two blade prop instead of the supplied 7x6 three blade. The two blade is more efficient and it's larger diameter increases power draw slightly. Around 10% or so more power than stock prop.

Prop rpm is 8460 with fully charged 2s battery. This gives a pitch speed of 47 mph. Usually a plane will approach about 90% of that in actual flight. So the plane should fly about 42 mph. That would prevent a fly-away in winds up to at least 30 mph.

I sure wouldn't want to fly it in 30 mph winds but it should, theoretically, be able to do so.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
The Flying Fox
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Your question prompted me to run some more measurements on this plane. I'm now using a GWS 8x6 HD two blade prop instead of the supplied 7x6 three blade. The two blade is more efficient and it's larger diameter increases power draw slightly. Around 10% or so more power than stock prop.

Prop rpm is 8460 with fully charged 2s battery. This gives a pitch speed of 47 mph. Usually a plane will approach about 90% of that in actual flight. So the plane should fly about 42 mph. That would prevent a fly-away in winds up to at least 30 mph.

I sure wouldn't want to fly it in 30 mph winds but it should, theoretically, be able to do so.
I think then my best bet is to fly in 10mph or less with this one to still enjoy it. Even then it'll be once I have more experience flying. It's a good enough to start and I may try out a new prop in the future. Now, with the dual blade prop, do you use the stock nose cone (with that 3 blade cover) or do you have some other hardware to not distract too much from the look of the plane?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:13 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,764 Posts
The less wind the better. Dead calm is ideal but probably doesn't happen very often where you are. Same here. But it's sometimes close to calm early or late in the day.

The prop change occurred out of necessity when I broke the stock one. The shape of the stock prop and its unique fit to the unusual spinner (nose cone and backing plate) means that most standard replacement parts won't fit. And the supplier is currently out of stock on props. So I had to come up with a suitable substitute.

Here's the replacement prop and spinner I used. It doesn't look exactly like the stock setup but it's still finished looking. Most real Cessna 172/182's had two blade props. The three blade was an expensive option installed only on later production planes:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r--dsh-/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r--dsh-/Detail

Gray 2 blade prop one inch larger in diameter with a slightly smaller black spinner. It's a quick and easy install.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 07, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
The Flying Fox
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the links. Question though, how does that black spinner stay on? If it's rubber and is pushed on, what stops it from flying off?