HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Fred, looking really great, and the mock up shows it! Alot done here in a very short time too... Also, I like your glue stand, have been proping them up against things and i'll have to "construct" one of these! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Kevin,

Happy the storms missed you, we get the same weather and it is so randum where it decides to strike. I'm killing you? your T-45 is killing me. We will just have to continue on and hope to survive!

Hanzie,

The upright wire cutter is new (2 months ago) and only used it once before to help shape the canopy blank on the F-84. Since this is pretty new territory, I used both, but think I will start using my homemade stuff more next build.

As far as paint goes, we really have that worked out and actually many paints work great. Just happens that someone posted in a thread this morning that shows what can be done easy with just paint. Click on THIS LINK to see a MiG-3 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504266in foam and how it was painted.

A Yak 9 would be very cool. Blue foam works if you can't get pink. That green stuff is not even close. White works too.

Walt,

Thank you Sir. The glue stand was right off the assembly line in that photo. I resisted for years, but so worth the 10 minutes, and pennies to make it. Just plug in the glue gun before cutting foam to save some time. I'll bet you MiG is done before my Yak. Thanks again.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
So section #3, the part that defines the cockpit, needed the same little 2mm dowels as the forward sections. I have decided that the first 3 sections will be glued together, but remain in split halves, until final assembly starts. The rear section will plug in from behind, and there is no split of course. So I am also adding these little dowel so adjoining sections will mate up and be indexed accurate.

The little toothpick dowels seem to weigh almost nothing but really work well. I think that once I can finally "see" the completed fuselage in my head, next time there may be quicker work of this, and possibly alter a few steps to make it easier. Not that this is hard, but let's say It is evolving as I learn.

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Just showing steps here. I am now making tiny pin holes in my templates in better areas that would serve the hot wire cutting, but also make the dowel locations too. I can then just chase the pin holes with a toothpick for my dowel locating pins. Note how it plugs together and holds well enough to be able to rough sand the blening surfaces prior to time to glue.

Cute, but it works.

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Hope I am not boring you, but needed to start to make internal space and foam removal. After all equipment all has to go on the inside. So since it is so easy to make these aluminum templates, this time I just made a couple extras to do inside cuts, and drill holes for pins to hold them to the foam.

If I post some plans, and the next time I build something doing this technique, I would make single templates that would include all in one: A), Exterior shape, B). Interior shape for cutout, C). location holes to take pins, and for toothpick dowels.

I drill for the pins with a clipped off section of a sewing pin. You want the clipped end to stay ragged from the clippers, rough and sharp. Old woodworking trick is drill holes with nails. It works for a great accurate hole, and often trying to find such small drill bits could be costly and hard to come by. They just plain work!

Note I then hot wire cut out the center of section #3, and it came out real nice. I really like this method of building. Guess because it is something new for me, and that always holds my interest.

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
This is where I was end of a good day 1 into the build.

This post will be left here as a marker.

As stated, that was day one of the foam wire cutting build portion. I do not really work fast, and think once I gain some experiance this could go quicker. I wish I could have better vision into the whole picture when creating templates, but a little hunt and peck isn't going to hurt anyone.

So it is Friday, dinner time, but before I leave I did a small amount of evening work day #2 and today, just a small amount of sanding. I will up-load a few more photos and get back to this in a day or two. thanks to those that have been following along so far, I always appreciate some company!

Fred
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Did I gloss over something here Fred? How are you making your aluminium templates?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
So I didn't have much time day #2 or today because of all those things we have to do in real life. I did get some progress that makes me feel even more confident this is a pretty cool prospect and is going to work out in the end.

Mostly did some marking, chasing with the toothpick, adding dowels, pluging parts together to get a bit more rough sanding and blending done.

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Did I gloss over something here Fred? How are you making your aluminium templates?
Dave,

Opps, too many posts and photos like usual! Sorry. Look at POST #20 linked Here. Simply regular cheap scissors, some drilling/or punch/nibbler work, and a Dremel. The Aluminum roof flashing is about .008" thick (0.25mm) and soft, but very springy. On a roll it is really cheap too!

And DAVE,

While I have your attention: I own one of those Sky Angel T-45's that HK delivered so beat up I will never fly it. It will be a organ doner one day for other things. Since the ESC smokes on 3 cell, and is only good for 2 cell operation, do you think it is reliable enough to use on an Ammo and GP 30mm Hyperflow application? I won't use it if it is total junk, not worth it. What is our valued opinion? But........

Thanks

Fred
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
So I was now able to plug parts together and really start to do some final roughing in of the sanding work. In fact I am now using my medium 120 grit, and 180 grit sandpaper blocks.

I know there are a lot of photos in this post, but then there are a lot of angles to see when you are shaping a fuselage to your liking. There is more to sand, cut out on the internals. Then glue, fill. final sand, etc. But for now I thought I would share my results up to this point. No need to hog this moment all to myself, right. Beside it is my thread so I can post as many pictures as I want.

I'm a little aren't I!

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:10 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
A small thought.....

So If you know me, I have a real soft spot for older, early jets. Yes the straight winged, somewhat underpowered pioneers of jet motivation. So to compliment my current F-84 Thunderjet build, why not have a complimentary warbird form one of our then current Allies, Russia.

I'll bet that around the time the MiG-15's surprised us in Korea, and we determined that a very costly Cold War needed to ensue, because the Russian's came under distrust for supplying the communists with hardware......... The F-84 Thunderjet, and the Yak-15/17's probably saw each other through a few gun sights............

Who knows, I wasn't born until 1957, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Well that is unless a respected Korean War Veteran wants to speak up and make my day!

Enjoy this photo moment! I did!

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
So here it is today, with a bit more internal foam to remove, some minor exterior sanding, yet the eventual reinforcements and glue. 18 grams. Yes 18g seems light to me, especially with the solid foam blocks cut into an airframe. I do not think a folded Depron build would be as light, but I could be wrong.

So you see the weight, and I broke her down as the dowels really help in the fabrication process. You can see I need to remove more foam for say a battery compartments and such. But so far so good.

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Dave,

(Nitrocharged)

My HK Sky Angel T-45 that was sent with torn wing, aileron, and some other damage. It will be a organ doner soon because I will salvage the electronics. This is the one that I asked you about the ESC. Any airframe parts someone wants, cheap! Ask before I destroy out of sheer satisfaction of my loss!

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Great Fred!! Just really super building and another great thread too, keep up the great work, we are really enjoying it!!!! I hadn't realized that you had done all that in just one day,,, but it is one of the teeny ones. Feel free to post all the pics you want, we are just soaking them up! Build On!!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Family called, they are coming home from the $1.00 (Dollar Theater) so I'm hungry........... Wonder if they are in the mood for what I am thinking..... This is what I made Monday for dinner, but I think I should go out and have someone else make it for me tonight!

Thread derailment, but alas, it's my thread. ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND Peolple!

Fred