HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
You didn't get it yet? Too much work to re-make that one, darn....

Here we get it at Home Cheapo, or Menard's. 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" and 2". Home Cheapo also has Pink fff, but I think Menard's is Blue fff. The large thick 4'x8' sheets are like $10, $17, $19, $23, and $29 respective. Quite a bargin.

Lowes only has Blue, but it is soft and squishy. I do not like handling soft and squishy anything because it is so tender you look at it and it gets damage. The pink weighs slightly more but will not show squish marks from heavy handling, and does not tear when you go to sand it with course paper..

We all know anbout white foam. But it is the lightest I think. I just wish they carried 2lb density around here and then I just migh build with that!

Fred
THANKS Fred!!!...We have Home Cheapo/Lowes here but not Menards...Every time I go to Home Depot I can't find the thick stuff...I'm thinking that this foam is sold by the area---Since it doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does in Nebraska I'm thinking that there's not much need for the thicker foam for insulation around here...Might have to bug them for a special order......

I do have 4 sheets of 2" thick white foam that is 2'x4'....Cuts well with a hot wire but sands like crap if not careful...

I have a hot wire setup with a variable voltage transformer...(Old Nor-Ray Products transformer for automatic foam wing cutting)...I make my own bows to size using wooden dowels with music wire cut to any length/depth you want to do as long/deep as you want....Basically, I can make a bow as large or small as needed...I use nichrome wire to cut with...

I've got the tools just need the foam!!!...We are about to get hammered with thunderstorms...About time as the corn around here has burned up...I'm getting ready to shut things down, preparing for lightning...We had a house struck here in my neighborhood a little over a month ago...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
First Walt,

Thank you but you know you loved the beach today, sunburn and all. I am guessing you missed post #26 showing the split fuselage parts above. Maybe you were typing. But basicly, I put two pieces of foam together and that surface is the centerline seam/split. Then I cut the parts out and they are already split, ready to take apart. Hope that explains it???? If not I'll take other photos.

You better get some teeny tiny fans or you are missing out. What you going to do when you find an indoor site and have no jets to fly?

Kevin,

If all you can get is white foam, then so be it! I would use that, and sand in only one direction, using no pressure! I hope the Thunderstorms give yoou some much needed rain. We had some last night, but the rainfall was not enough. Everything is burnt dry here. We have had some record breaking days too.

I do understand that lightening that comes along with the storms. We get BIG lightening around here. I had a friend that got a hit in an old antenne, but traveled along the old wires and into the house. Blew everything out, and left somldering electrical boxes and fixtures. Computers don't like that kind of thing!

Hope they will order you some Pink foam at Home Depot. I think they would and shouldn't cost anything to get it shipped. Of course if yiu are ever on your way past Nebraska, or even Iowa, we could have lunch and strap some foam to your car.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Jul 26, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well, to find an indoor flying spot, I guess I'd have to up north cause I don't know of any here as we have flying weather about all year long, but it is rather windy in the winter months,, how do those teeness handle breezes?
Kevin, we don't have the thicker or the fan fold at home cheapo here either, they can get it, I think but don't know how much I'd have to order.... Take a sec and fill in ur profile so when you say your having storms there, we know where is,, ky??? Thought I recognized some of the towns on the tv weather you posted.. Well hunker down, we get malt and intense lightening down here too..... Don't like that lightening!!!!!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Last edited by Waltjg; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Got a few minutes here of quiet time, so time to upload some photos. Thinking it would be easy to mix construction styles, the rear fuselage sides might be easier using sheets and sanding methods. The early Yak's were converted WWIII fighters that they stuck a jet engine in. So the rear would have formers and shapes like a Yak-9 possibly?

So I took some 1/4" MPF (it is white) and cut the rear fuselage side profile. I also cut some stabilizer slots at this point, but left the foam plug inserted in that slot for sanding and other operations. I put in 3 degrees negitive in the slot, and will set my wing to Zero with the fuselage bottom.

Using my building grid, I made a template for a bottom skin of MPF, that will only go 1/2 way back. The thickness of my foam is a bit wide, but it will be a butt joint tail section, and I need to sand in some Yak type fuselage profile shap into it. Figure it would be better than working with much thinner stock and a bunch of formers.

The photos show all this and the taper set into the foam sides to facilitate my shaping plans.

Fred
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Just a post to show some Yak-3, and Yak-9 documents with formers so that we can get some idea on proper shape for the aft fuselage section. Since the Yack-15 was a converted WWII fighter plane it makes sense to me to use some of this as my data source.

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
This was a little test to see if 2mm was glued to 6mm, then the edge rounded (like a fuselage former shape) how much material would still be left. Looked good to go and to save a bit of weight.

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
So I went and finished off the aft fuselage floor with some 2mm Depron. It won't save much weight, but some. Did a bit of sanding so the two floor skins would have glue contact across the width of the bottom.

Then I set up some angle blocks on the building grid, with a centerline. Now I could sand the very rear into a taper and glue the fuselage sides together. I will not need any formersi n the rear fuselage section which is a plus.

If you look close a piece of wax paper was inserted where the fuselage sides meet in the rear to allow a hinge to be inserted later for my Rudder!

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Now I added the bottom fuselage skin, in 2mm Depron. Once dry, I ccould cut and sand flush with the sides. More shaping to come, but good to carry on now.

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I need some foam thickness on the top to get that nice rounded shape of the riginal bird. So I cut some pink foam, and split it at the proper angle to glue onto my rear fuselage box. Plenty of foam to do some agressive shaping, but also allowing some overlap at the last cut section so we have glue joints on all four edges. Not worth cutting this with a wire (even though I have a template that would work). If I made kits then it would be worth the setup time. I will just sand this one.

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Just did some marking of where to sand the pink foam, and also where the last cut section will glue into place for my referance as I move along here.

Fred

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
By the way.

We know that epoxy is a pain when the bottle is almost empty. But since we are airplane guys, we are very frugal and do not want to waste anything. We also know tipping the bottle helps. Probably even heard or saw some fancy stand to accomplish this. But woodworkers eat your heart out. Us foamie guys use some fff, hot glue, and from trash to riches, our life is made easier!

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
So I only need to rough things in right now. The final sanding will be when we join things a bit more solid. So with my trusty saw, sanding blocks, and tried out the cheese grater like John Morgan suggested I got some rough shape into the aft fuselage.

Soooo. Wondering where we are at so far?

Fred

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Mock UP.

So we did this in aerospace, so we will do it here. I just proped the parts up to see a rough mock up of the fuselage assembly. Nothing is glued together, and the sanding block is a bit distracting, but maybe you should go back to post number 1, and see the general shape is taking..... well shape!

There is some sanding, shaping, smoothing to do, but we need to clear out some interior foam areas, key the parts together, and do some gluing first. I really think this is going to work well for me. I actually think much time was saved, and more could be done after I develope a learning curve on this process. Anyway, I am going to bed. a bit more was completed, but we will just have to get back at it another day.

Fred
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
MAN---Do you work FAST or what??!!!???.......Going to bed now as it's 12:15AM and your still posting......Thunderstorms weakened as they got to me---Raining slowly but much needed!!!...Gotta get up in 6 hours---You're KILLING ME!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:12 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Hmmmmm, I haven't found any of that pink foam over here either. We do have the blue version and something greenish which I made my wing-cores from, but that is something completely different. I too really like these old jets so I might also have to build one some day. Maybe the Mig-9?
In your pics I've seen a portable cutter, but also one that was just a vertical wire. Which one did you use most for the outside of the fuse?
Also, how do you plan on painting it? As far as I know there aren't much paints that like to hold on to any type of foam...
Hanzie
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie