SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Discussion
FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle USB Host mod (Fly with a joystick, and no PC!)

Hi, a friend of mine and I have made a little board that provides USB host capability to the FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle radio family using a modified version of the ER9x firmware.

We have a handful of extras and will be looking for a few beta testers as well.

Small USB Host mod for ER9x (0 min 52 sec)

Basically, the board we made runs off of the same power pack that powers the controller. It has a USB host chip made by FTDI and dumps the USB Joystick info over to the controller via UART. The mods needed to do this are pretty much the same thing as the FRSky telemetry mods etc.

The difference between this and other USB joystick setups is that our setup does not require a computer and all the hassle and risk that that entails. Our board is about 1x2 inches. It draws a handful of mA plus whatever is required by the joystick (which in some cases can be considerable.)

It is in pretty rough form currently, but with a little work it could be made to support many joysticks and be fully mixable with any other inputs from the 9x controller. I'm not sure how far we will go with it since we have it working pretty well for what we need at the moment, but the edited er9x code will be published.

Let me know if this thing interests you. We eventually plan to make a chunk of hardware that completely eliminates the need for having the 9x controller in the chain.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Dec 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
Hi, a friend of mine and I have made a little board that provides USB host capability to the FlySky/iMax/Turnigy 9x/Eurgle radio family using a modified version of the ER9x firmware.

We have a handful of extras and will be looking for a few beta testers as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0aUPDQX_hk

Basically, the board we made runs off of the same power pack that powers the controller. It has a USB host chip made by FTDI and dumps the USB Joystick info over to the controller via UART. The mods needed to do this are pretty much the same thing as the FRSky telemetry mods etc.

The difference between this and other USB joystick setups is that our setup does not require a computer and all the hassle and risk that that entails. Our board is about 1x2 inches. It draws a handful of mA plus whatever is required by the joystick (which in some cases can be considerable.)

It is in pretty rough form currently, but with a little work it could be made to support many joysticks and be fully mixable with any other inputs from the 9x controller. I'm not sure how far we will go with it since we have it working pretty well for what we need at the moment, but the edited er9x code will be published.

Let me know if this thing interests you. We eventually plan to make a chunk of hardware that completely eliminates the need for having the 9x controller in the chain.
Hey bushman, i know this is a couple years old (wow).. but I'm interested in this mod. I am good with computers but am only recently becoming interested in RC Planes now that I have found out about FPV. shoot me a message if you get this and are still working on this 9x mod. thanks! --Josh
infotechsailor is offline Find More Posts by infotechsailor