HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,713 Posts
Thanks everyone for the congrats. This was one of the better contest I have flown. Bruce, Frank and Nathan kept the pressure on.

I flew my Fr3ak the entire time until the flyoff because of damage to the tail section.(More on this later). It was the perfect sailplane for me. I keep liking it more and more. The only mistakes were my fault and not the planes. I got greedy in Poker and missed a flight. As I said I really like this airframe. As a backup I used the Polaris. It did well for me in the finals.

Bert and Eric along with the NASA crew did a great job. This is the same field I flew the last Midsouth about 4 years ago. Nice place and close to hotels and Cliffs. Atlanta Hobby (Cliff) are great sponsors for this event. They are BIG supporters for the F3K team. We all have high hope for you guys and Cliff wants to make sure you get there prepared.

OK so Ill tell ya about the river. On the downwind side of the field is the Chattahoochee River. Well I went deep and didnt get the lift that I had just left. I was deeper than I thought and went behind a tree along the river. I was a little concerned at this point as the sailplane came out the other side of the tree. There was a small gap I mean small....... Ok there wasnt a gap but I didnt want the Fr3ak to land in the river. I turned into the brush and it went down. It was the ladder and I was sure I just took a huge hit on my score because I didnt make the 2 min. It was the last flight of the Prelims and I wanted it back. The under brush along the river is very very thick.. That along with Banjo's playing and I swear I saw Burt Reynolds go by in a canoe and sqealing like I never heard I found my plane... Its in a small tree but 10 feet from the shore line. No problem Ill just take off the shoes and wade in. 1 step was about 3 feet deep. So I figure this is not a good idea. I went back to my truck and got my Crappie pole and Russ Merkle gave me a string to lasoe the tail. This whole process took 15 mins. The tail must of wacked a pretty big branch as it pretty much destroyed it. I was bummed as I wanted it for the flyoff. I was lucky it didnt go in the river so I used the Polaris. On the was out of the brush I found a Aeronca Champ foamie that had been out there for a while and took it in with me. It was in bad shape and very water logged.

So there ya have it. Ill have to stay at a Holiday Inn Express now just so I dont do this again

I almost forgot. Thanks to Horizon Hobby for the donation. I know our team will be great.

Thanks guys

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:06 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,439 Posts
Great contest put on by the ATL crew. The location was nice, and nearby to everything. Man, Atlanta is one confusing city to get around though. There's hardly a straight road in town and everything is named Peachtree something. Me and Dick must've had half of the city honking their horns at us trying to find our way around to the restaurant and the hotel.

I somehow won the ultra-high performance "bat" DLG on Friday through trick or treat AULD, but I still think Todd won it I came out hot on Saturday, but that soon was snuffed by the clinic that Jeff and Bruce were putting on. From the first round the battle was between them for 1st, and that didnt change all weekend. Anyhow, I somehow made it to 5th for the weekend, and I was happy (sorta) with that. If there's anything I can say I was proud about, it was the last 3 rounds of the flyoffs. I T-totally dropped the ball in the first round, evident by the 611 I posted in there. After that though, I got my act together and reeled in some good scores, even taking the 1000 in the last round, poker. All other fly-offs I've been in, my head caught on fire and I ended up dead last, but for once I over came that. Thanks to Cliff for timing for me in the flyoffs, and congrats to Jeff, Bruce, and Frank!

Thanks again to NASA, thanks Cliff and Atlanta Hobbies, and even thought I didnt win anything (grrrr), thanks to Horizon Hobby for donating the raffle prizes!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
It's not the thing you fling;
Peachtree City, Ga
Joined Feb 2010
208 Posts
The Knoxville Team set up campsite complete with moonshine still!
bwatkins is offline Find More Posts by bwatkins
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,217 Posts
This was my first time flying with the NASA club and I am sure it will not be my last. The support they get from all the members make for a real smooth contest and the field is top notch. Jeff was tough all weekend and once I let him in front of me he never gave me an opportunity to catch back up. Congratulations for sticking it to us and coming out on top Jeff. I don't know what got into me but I felt like I did some aggressive flying this weekend. I took more risks than usual but things worked out well. Had I seen the aerial video before the contest I may have given those trees a lot more room and kept on our side of the river On the last flight task Saturday I flew my model as high as I have ever flown it. So high in fact that when I got it back to my hand after a rapid descent it was quite cold, that was cool.

Thanks again to all the guys and gals that help make the Punkin Chunk a must attend event.

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,777 Posts
Good stuff guys. Sorry I couldn't make this one. Sounds like I need to make some plans for next year. Congrats Jeff.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Jeff very cool great job. Look like lots different planes lots variety. Great pictures and great flying by all pilots. Thanks to all of you and the Sponsors for your great supporting of the F3K team. The hand is getting back in shape I threw for myself at the Blue Skies AZ and was able to get 2nd place. So I think I will be 100% at the JEM well as far as throwing goes. Cliff very nice Video thanks. Got to see the Twister-3 fly at Blue Skies AZ and it flew fantastic. John P had a bit of bad luck in last round in fly offs or he would have one. Where was Oleg,Phil B and Gavin?
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Last edited by rcgeorge; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
This event showed me what I could do with more airtime, maybe I can get that now that I have my plane sorted out. I say that based on this:

In the 5/7 heat there is enough time to see what develops. On the buzzer most folks ran to the down wind right corner. Josh was timing for me and said, "Dad they aren't hitting any lift". I launched into the front right corner thinking maybe the building behind the trees would give me something to work with. I made a smooth turn and drifted down wind along the tree line. There wasn't anything there and then Josh and I both felt the temp go up and the air go still. I brought my plane right in, launched and rolled right into it. At the top of my launch I started turning and got my five minutes.

The FireFly was flying very well and my scores are based on me flying like a gorilla with broken thumbs. It seemed like all weekend I would find lift and then not stay with it.

I did the same thing in the AULD 3X3 and almost didn't get the the last one after I showed where the lift was. Even pilots who came into it after me enede up higher than me by drifting with the thermal. I found another one on the way back to the field and got my three but I was puckered.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
26 Posts
We had a great time meeting all of you and making new friends, thanks for all the help and guidance, I knew it was a mistake to give Jason a ride to the event as a novice, it' all in the launch!!!!!!!!!!!! David you were the first we met on Friday and made us feel really welcome, your a funny guy! And Paul "Little Debbie" when we meet next I will bring you a real Swiss Treat! Thanks to Cliff and Horizon and Bruce for the little aerobatic video clip, I'll get Jason to post it. Frank thanks for timing and if you are interested in the cargo box I'm open for a DLG trade!
Jeremy
swiss1 is offline Find More Posts by swiss1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Esprit Model
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Great event!!
Awesome weather.
I learned so much from many wonderful people. Thanks!!
Even my wife enjoyed herself.
As I hoped, I was able to find a couple of nice, current planes.
Now I just have to practice so that I can join in on the fun.
Here is a pic from Saturday:
Techflyer is offline Find More Posts by Techflyer
Last edited by Techflyer; Nov 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Atlanta, Ga.
Joined Dec 2001
111 Posts
Okay, watching on Saturday may have given me the itch again.

Who has a "modern" DLG for sale in the Atlanta area?

- David
denete is offline Find More Posts by denete
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
DLG Addict
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
253 Posts
David

I may be willing to part with one of my Twister II's.

They have definitely upped the ante for me.

Eric
ebrown is offline Find More Posts by ebrown
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
There is no way to hang around the Atlanta group for even a few minutes and not see how much fun they are!! This event WILL be even bigger next year ! Nicely done !!

Paul

Hey Swiss Miss, those things on the trailing edge are for slowing down....LOL and Swiss cake rolls must be from over there they say so on the box !!
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Priceless . . .

• Gas for Honda Fit from Knoxville and back $40.00
  • Camping Gear for staying at the field $275
  • 2 planes, meals etc . . $!^%!$

. . . seeing a monkey in a "Paul the Builder" Suit . . . .priceless
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
Congrats to Jeff, Bruce, Frank, and all fly-off pilots!!!
Tell us some war stories now. What was that river dipping all about?
Hi Oleg, We really missed you!!

Even though you haven't made the Taboos for a while now, they are still playing a big part in the DLG scene.

At the Punkin Chunk, I saw 11 Taboos and there may have been others that I didn't see. Some were being flown as primary models by new flyers and some were being used as backup models by expert flyers.

Hope to see you at the San Felasco Contest!!

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
Hey Guys,
It was nice to hang out with the Experts on Friday and Saturday night. The way to finish in first and second place is to play billards to 230AM then try to find the stairs in the dark then get up early and fly hard. I need to drink more next year!
Todd

PS My fun was in the fly offs with a 50 second flight in all last down! Then next flight I was at 10 feet above ground at 50 seconds into the flight then got lift for a 3 min.flight to max.
ifome is offline Find More Posts by ifome