SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Build Log
Neill's DIY Gimbal Design

I have a build log going on at this link you all might find interesting.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/show...-Gimbal-Design
BIGTACO is offline Find More Posts by BIGTACO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, glad you were able to get ideas from my design. I always like to see DIY stuff. there are lot of detail work that goes into the design, in most cases, it end up costing as much as buying finished product, but satisfaction of doing your own is always great. the success is in the details. looks like you are doing a good job .

btw, bls950 is made by mks, not turnigy
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Jul 25, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
well, glad you were able to get ideas from my design. I always like to see DIY stuff. there are lot of detail work that goes into the design, in most cases, it end up costing as much as buying finished product, but satisfaction of doing your own is always great. the success is in the details. looks like you are doing a good job .

btw, bls950 is made by mks, not turnigy
Hey there! Yes thanks for the kind words. I have for sure used your gimbal design and a few others for inspiration. As the design is evolving it has taken on an identity of its own, recently. And by the time I am done will have a couple interesting design/functional elements that will be unique to my design, as far as I know.

You are so right about cost. A DIY job of any kind almost always costs more than you plan. Things never work out exactly like you planned in your head or on paper/CAD. I have had to redesign my tilt assembly bearing blocks 3 times now for instance. I started out using nylon bar stock on the first design. Come to find out I chose a nylon grade with a bit too much elasticity which caused compression problems on my bearings on the assembly was clamped together. After two more design changes and 1 material change to annodized 6061 aluminum I am finally at a working part. But, the material costs I took a hit on...

Thats the nature of design!
BIGTACO is offline Find More Posts by BIGTACO
Last edited by BIGTACO; Jul 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM.