HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenCharlie View Post
I would message acepowling and see where their at with the investigation.

-Charlie
Thanks, I will.

Larry
Premium2000 is online now Find More Posts by Premium2000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vapors & MSR's
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:06 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Update

Quote:

-Charlie

I sent acepowing a PM a few days ago but have heard nothing back. In fact, other than his initial contact the silence has been deafening.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Another day, another failed Sky Lipo

While at the flying field today another member had yet another Sky Lipo crap out on him.

The pack is only a few months old with a handful of flights. It looks good but the #2 cell has gone weak making the Lipo useless.

Needless to say, Sky's are not very popular in my Club anymore.

Larry

PS: I still have not heard anything back regarding this problem
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
66 Posts
I have mostly Turnigy/Nano-tech, Zippy and Sky Lipos but I always thought of them as bargain brands. If you're "willing pay a good price for a quality battery," why not do it? Hyperions are more expensive but they are supposed to have better quality control, their C ratings aren't inflated, their craftsmanship is warrantied for a year, the cells (balance and puffiness) are guarantied for two months, and they have a 40% off "crash replacement" program for anything not covered by their warranty. Voltz has a similar warranty.

So far, I'm okay with my Turnigy and Sky batteries but as far as I can tell, their warranty programs consist of putting "warranty" stickers on their packs. Has anyone ever cashed in on the warranty on one of those brands? Who would you even contact? They're basically "house brands" but would HobbyPartz and HobbyKing take responsibility for the manufacturer's work? I'm skeptical but I'm curious to know.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Last edited by spaaarky21; Aug 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
995 Posts
I just noticed this weekend when i went to fly, i am having the same symptoms in 4 3s 2200 40c batteries. i have a couple nanotech 3s 2200 35c working on the same plane and same load with no issue...sucks i just lost 4 batteries at once.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
update

I have done that already and have not heard a word back.

Larry

Quote:

-Charlie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
So far, I'm okay with my Turnigy and Sky batteries but as far as I can tell, their warranty programs consist of putting "warranty" stickers on their packs. Has anyone ever cashed in on the warranty on one of those brands? Who would you even contact? They're basically "house brands" but would HobbyPartz and HobbyKing take responsibility for the manufacturer's work? I'm skeptical but I'm curious to know.
I got crap service a few times from Hobby King. The first time, I had to assume responsability as I didn't test the lipo immediately. In the month it took me to use it, the lipo puffed all on it's own. Scratch that one. The next time they shipped me a bad lipo and I immediately notified them plus jumped though all the hoops. They continued to play their delay games so I filed a paypal dispute on day 44. Paypal made it right when HK wouldn't. Therefore, I don't deal with HK anymore.

I never had a problem with hobbypartz skylipos before this last batch. It just seems wierd that 4 identical packs from the same batch all had a cell go bad at the same time. I've had great results out of many other packs, but all 4 3s 1300 40C going bad at the same time? I balance them after flight and use a balance charger at no greater than 1C charge rate. I have older packs still going strong.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I got crap service a few times from Hobby King. The first time, I had to assume responsability as I didn't test the lipo immediately. In the month it took me to use it, the lipo puffed all on it's own. Scratch that one. The next time they shipped me a bad lipo and I immediately notified them plus jumped though all the hoops. They continued to play their delay games so I filed a paypal dispute on day 44. Paypal made it right when HK wouldn't. Therefore, I don't deal with HK anymore.

I never had a problem with hobbypartz skylipos before this last batch. It just seems wierd that 4 identical packs from the same batch all had a cell go bad at the same time. I've had great results out of many other packs, but all 4 3s 1300 40C going bad at the same time? I balance them after flight and use a balance charger at no greater than 1C charge rate. I have older packs still going strong.

Thanks exactly we are seeing here. I really thought the Sky Lipo's were good value when they first came out but now it's a crap shoot. You just can't tell, these days, if your going to get 4 or 5 flights or >50 out of a new pack. While they are relativley low cost, $3 or $4 a flight is no longer a good deal. Hopefully, they will figure out what's going on and return to offering us a reliable, reasonably priced Lipo.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,425 Posts
One of my newest packs pooped out on me today. I bought it around the same time the Dynam Peaks was released. This pack has around 2 dozen flights on it, has always been balanced and is always discharged at the end of the day. I was flying the Peaks with the stock motor and ESC and an APC 13x6E prop. About 2 minutes into the flight, I made a fast pass down the field, pulled into a sweet vertical and she just gave out. Down she went. I had just enough power to get the Peaks down safely.

The pack was all puffy on the bottom and had vented out of one end. I never saw any smoke and the pack itself was no warmer than usual but it's toast.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Two more packs that died at the same time, this time a pair of 1000 mAh. What are the odds of multiple packs all going bad at the same time?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Two more packs that died at the same time, this time a pair of 1000 mAh. What are the odds of multiple packs all going bad at the same time?
i had four go out recently. all in the same day. and they all have the same problem. Cell two is shot. They read that they are fully charged but when the throttle is applied cell 2 drops to 2.4v while the other two are still normal.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:36 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
More Sky failures

Two more SKY packs crapped out at the field today. Another member had a lousy day when two of his 3S 2200 40C puffed on him. He tells me that they are less than amonth old with less than 5 flights each.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Dang it, two more packs quit. this time they were my 1600 mAh 40C. It seems like all my 40C packs are giving out early. For me, that's (4) 1300s, (2) 1000s and (2) 1600s and all were 40C cells. This is really ticking me off. Sad that I have packs two years older that are still holding in the there.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
I have 11 Sky Lipos and they range from 6 -12 months old. I fly maybe once a month and I store all my batteries at 3.80. 9 of my Sky Lipos are bad. They are all puffy. When charged one cell is 4.18, second cell 4.10 and the third cell 4.05. 9 of my batteries will not balance and I use a high end balance charger. All of my 1300 and 2200 are bad. I have 15 batteries from Hobby King that are three years old in both 3 and 4 cells and they balance perfectly. I store my Hobby King batteries the same as my Sky Lipos. The performance of my Sky Lipos are horrible. Buyer beware do not buy these batteries they will be fine for a few months then forget it. They are very cheaply made. It is not worth spending money on these batteries. Now I will have to replace these Sky Lipos. You call Hobby Partz and they will not take any responsibility. Then must know their batteries are bad with all these complaints.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Update

I've heard absolutely nothing back from the supplier regarding ths problem.

My Club is pretty much done with Sky Lipo's and has switched to Turnegy & G-Force.

Larry
RCG Plus Member