SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Discussion
What's up with latest batch of SKY Lipo's?

For the past two years SKY Lipo's have been one of the "go to" lipo's for many of the members of my local Club.

Great value, good power and reasonable life.

However, recently I've noticed the more and more people are experiencing a variety of problems resulting in extremely dissappointing battery life. I fly almost every day and see a lot of battery use.

It seems that the popularity of Lipo brands shift periodicaly as we all search for the "perfect Lipo". Whether it is Turnigy, Zippy, NanoTech, GenAce, Blue or now SKY, they seem to work great when the brand is first introduced. However, after a year or so, it seems the quality begins to drop and problems start to pop up.

Lately, I've noticed this decline happening with SKY lipo's. Some of then have degraded after just a few cycles, some puff without abuse, many have just one cell go bad. Regardless, we have a bunch or unhappy customers running around here dissappointed with SKY and in search of the next "great battery". For me, it's G-Force but only time will tell if they too become a dissappoinment. So far ,so good.

I don't really expect an explaination, but as a customer (and big supporter of HobbyPartz) it's a shame to see the black eye that comes with this type of problem.

I would guess that for many active flier's, the cost of batteries represents the single largest share of their hobby budget. While some people chase after the low end (cheap) Lipo's most of us are willing pay a good price for a quality battery. The problem is that "quality" seems to be a moving target and therefore our purchase decision tend to be a crap shoot.

With all the great things that HoobyPartz does for the hobby, it would be really helpful if some level of consistancy could be established so that we, the customer, can buy Lipo's (SKY or other) and know what we are getting each and every time.

Otherwise, HobbyPartz, keep up the good! We appreciate the your service, diversified product line, and good value.

Larry Tittle
Largo Flying Club
Premium2000 is offline Find More Posts by Premium2000
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Premium2000; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
375 Posts
Can you give me a quick list of the batteries that has the issue? Or do you mean all of the recent packs that you guys ordered has the issue? I can check with the manufacture to see if they changed the chemicals that they used in the recent batch of batteries.

-Charlie
RaidenCharlie is offline Find More Posts by RaidenCharlie
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Response

Not every pack that our members have bought in the past 6 months has been a problem. Based on my personal experience, plus what I've seen and heard from other members, I would say roughtly half the packs, from 2S-450 to 4S-5000, have had unussually short lives.

The picture below is a sample of some of the packs that have been a dissappointment recently. Some have less than 5 cycles while other may have reached up to 20. Based on our past experience with "economy packs" I would hope to get between 80 and 100 flights when operating a Lipo within it's design range.

Periodic bad packs is to be expected. Plus, failure can also be due to abuse and mis-use. However, since I do so much flying, I learned a long time ago how to properly use a pack in order to maximize it's value. As a result, members frequently turn to me for advice on battery selection and use.

I'm a little gun shy now to recommend any battery brand because frankly I don't know which to trust anymore. I've been a big advocate of SKY and a lot of our members have bought them because they see some of the better (trusted) fliers using and speaking positively about them. However, now there is a lot of uncertainty and frustration, so folks are at a bit of a loss of what to buy.

My fear is two fold. First, that any advice that I migh give will end up with members wasting their money, plus screwing up an otherwise good flying session. Many of our memebers can only fly once a week and it's terrible when that day is ruined by a bad pack.

Second, I concerned that folks will just start buying anything and everything and just end up with a bunch of junk. There is always a place for premium batteries but not for everyone and not for every plane.

Neither of these situations are particularly good for the hobby.

Anyway, that's more than what you asked but I thought it might add some detail to our situation.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vapors & MSR's
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
375 Posts
If you can give me your most recent order number for a Sky Lipo battery I can have a battery from that batch pulled and checked. I have notified the factory and the R&D team about the issue and they will look into it.

-Charlie
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts

Charlie,

Here are the order numbers for the last few batches of Sky Lipo's that I could find in my email records. They represent the roughly 21 Sky Lipo's that I bought and used over the past year.

yhst-62196343123315-217643 (1437689)
yhst-62196343123315-208401 (1437031)
yhst-62196343123315-172933 (11341542)
yhst-62196343123315-145796 (1271302)
yhst-94582326164583-506687

In my experience the Sky's bought since the Fall of last year have been dissappointing. The Lipo's prior to then were very strong and seemed to last between 75 and 100 flights.

A few of the newer Lipo's have held up fairly well but at least half, especially the 3S 1000mah and 3S 2200mah gave up well before 50 cycles, in some cases less the 10.

I also recieved the following comments from the President of my Club:

]As you can see by the pristine exterior look of the batteries below they have not been abused in any way. No crashes. Each of the batteries have had only a few cycles on them, and I never take them to full discharge because I want my batteries to last so I take good care of them. The 1600 is slightly puffed and the rest of them are flat. Unfortunately they are all useless because even though they say they are fully charged, they have very little power. A lot of money is in this picture and it is very upsetting.

In my mind I had wrote it off as a loss and decided not to buy anymore Hobbypartz batteries. Too bad, because I have purchased a lot of products from them and sent a lot of people their direction.

It has been several months since I bought these, but they have been sitting unused because of the quality. I do not have POs for all of them but Im sure HP does, or I could try to pull my paypal payments.

The batteries that I did not have a receipt for were purchased in december according to pay pal. my deleted items folder only maintains 6 months of history. again I have thrown away several sky batteries that were like new but did not work. a review of my battery case indicates that every sky battery I have ever purchased has either been trashed due to poor performance or is in the picture of non working batteries that I sent you.

yhst-62196343123315-243335
yhst-62196343123315-257375

There are others in my Club who have had similar experiences but I have not recieved any order info from them, yet.

Our Club, of 134 members is almost entirely electric. Living in Florida, someone is flying just about everyday and therefore we go through a lot of batteries. Many of those batteries were bought from HobbyPartz (and affiliated companies) because of good value, fast delivery and responsive customer support.

From a customer's perspective, it is particularly frustrating when you believe you have finally identified a dependable battery brand and source only to find that they lack constancy for batch to batch.

Hopefully, the order information above is useful. I know that it would be easy to dismiss our experience as limited or unsubstantiated. However, perception is reality to customers and the trend is real to us.

The only thing that we are hoping for is that by provide some field experience hopefully the manufactures will improve product quality and that HobbyPartz continues to offer the best products for our hobby.

If I get any more order information, I'll pass it along. Please let me know if you require anything else.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
375 Posts
Ok I will forward this thread to our R&D team and the factory.

-Charlie
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
acepow
ShenZhen
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
hello Charlie, this is Gensace Ling, and i send you a message, please check the message.
acepowling is offline Find More Posts by acepowling
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:40 PM
acepow
ShenZhen
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
sky lipo

Hello Larry,

Thanks for your feedback, please check your message box, i just send you a message. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium2000 View Post
For the past two years SKY Lipo's have been one of the "go to" lipo's for many of the members of my local Club.

Great value, good power and reasonable life.

However, recently I've noticed the more and more people are experiencing a variety of problems resulting in extremely dissappointing battery life. I fly almost every day and see a lot of battery use.

It seems that the popularity of Lipo brands shift periodicaly as we all search for the "perfect Lipo". Whether it is Turnigy, Zippy, NanoTech, GenAce, Blue or now SKY, they seem to work great when the brand is first introduced. However, after a year or so, it seems the quality begins to drop and problems start to pop up.

Lately, I've noticed this decline happening with SKY lipo's. Some of then have degraded after just a few cycles, some puff without abuse, many have just one cell go bad. Regardless, we have a bunch or unhappy customers running around here dissappointed with SKY and in search of the next "great battery". For me, it's G-Force but only time will tell if they too become a dissappoinment. So far ,so good.

I don't really expect an explaination, but as a customer (and big supporter of HobbyPartz) it's a shame to see the black eye that comes with this type of problem.

I would guess that for many active flier's, the cost of batteries represents the single largest share of their hobby budget. While some people chase after the low end (cheap) Lipo's most of us are willing pay a good price for a quality battery. The problem is that "quality" seems to be a moving target and therefore our purchase decision tend to be a crap shoot.

With all the great things that HoobyPartz does for the hobby, it would be really helpful if some level of consistancy could be established so that we, the customer, can buy Lipo's (SKY or other) and know what we are getting each and every time.

Otherwise, HobbyPartz, keep up the good! We appreciate the your service, diversified product line, and good value.

Larry Tittle
Largo Flying Club
acepowling is offline Find More Posts by acepowling
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Response

Thanks,

I would be interested in whatever you find out.

Larry
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I will be interested to learn about the outcome from this as well Larry.

I have several Skylipo 6s, 4s and 3s systems and so far so good.

I also have GensAce lipos, some great and others really poor performers.

I am in the market for some bigger packs, 4s2P 4000 sets, and want something better then Nanotech packs for the bigger birds.

As I'm in Aus, getting packs is a hassle and requires freight forwarders and so forth to ship the packs via UPS etc, and to have to be concerned about possible faulty packs on top of this really swings me across to alternatives instead maybe??
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
What I have noticed is that the cells in mine do not discharge at the same rate. My 3s 1300 40C lipos gave up early and voltage drops within seconds of wide open throttle. My 3s 2200 mAh don't drop like that but my charger will reject them until I balance the pack prior to charging.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
Any Update?

Any updates on your investigation into questionable SKY Lipo's?

Thanks,

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by acepowling View Post
Hello Larry,

Thanks for your feedback, please check your message box, i just send you a message. thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Same problem

I'm new to the forum and joined basically because I was doing a search on sky lipo's having problems I have 3 sky lipo 4000mah packs and all 3 have puffed with very little use. I have had them for about 2-4 months. Some with 5 or 6 runs and others with only 2. Not sure why but I'm guessing just a bad batch of cells.

My 5000 sky lipo's are working awesome with 10 plus runs. The 4000's that puffed still balance and hold a charge but I just stopped using them. I have had good luck with gens ace packs, only one pack went bad after a year of use. Others are still going strong
Milby721 is offline Find More Posts by Milby721
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
Premium2000
Largo, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
157 Posts
More bad packs

I went to the field to fly this weekend and one of our members showed me three more Sky packs (pic below) that have bad cells after only a hand full of flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
375 Posts
I would message acepowling and see where their at with the investigation.

-Charlie