HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What should I buy?
v911 13 65.00%
NE Solo 0 0%
Genius CP 5 25.00%
Genius AND a cheapy 4CH 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:21 AM
Registered User
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
Question
Yet Another "What do I buy" thread

Howdy everyone! Awesome forum here, I'm not on enough.

Anyway, I was into micro helis for a while (my only "big" heli is a Honey Bee King 2), I've got a couple of the DX twin coaxial helis which meet all my 3 channel needs, and I've had a coaxial 4CH Nine Eagles "solo" (or is it "Free Spirit")? Anyway, it's fun, but, the 'collective' is really slow on there and driving me batty!

So I was reading around on here, and the v911 seems the way to go, only, perhaps a V2 Solo is the way to go, since I already have a transmitter? 30 seconds on the web shows I can buy a v911 w/ transmitter cheaper than a nine-eagles... Should I be looking elsewhere?

Am I even going to get better response like I want?


Also - perhaps it's all moot - I'm thinking of getting a Genius CP as an ultimate indoor flier - is there anything else worth checking out in the street-price-under-$200 range?

I know they are broad questions, but it seems like folks here are pretty awesome and will have some pointers. Thanks!
-Abe.
AbeFM is offline Find More Posts by AbeFM
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:26 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,539 Posts
No matter what you decide to do you should really consider grabbing a v911 as their dirt cheap. Possibly go for a Benma 100 depending on how long your willing to wait.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
Exceed XH100 from xheli is a rebadged Genius for $140. You will need a better battery charger though. In any case, I'm not real keen on flying really fast CP helis indoors, regardless of size. But, I'm old and slow.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:04 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
If you go cp I wouldnt even think about the genius and would instead get the minicp.
Its gyro is so much better than the genius and the frame/skid design is better

Solopro2 from my experience was a horrible waste of money and had very cheap non durable plastic.

If you get a decent tx you can dumb down a mini so it can be flown easier indoors but it wont self-right like an offset flybar fp heli
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
The Genius is not as good as the min CP, but for $140 RTF with Devo 7, it's not bad.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
No not a bad price at all...But you have a higher repair bill due to a gyro that isnt comparable and maintanence that is way more of a pain if you break a skid..which he will.

just to show how good the gyro is on the mini i was able to hover 1/4" and lower off the floor with minimal effort

MiniCP Floor Sweep (2 min 17 sec)
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Exceed XH100 from xheli is a rebadged Genius for $140. You will need a better battery charger though. In any case, I'm not real keen on flying really fast CP helis indoors, regardless of size. But, I'm old and slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If you go cp I wouldnt even think about the genius and would instead get the minicp.
Its gyro is so much better than the genius and the frame/skid design is better

Solopro2 from my experience was a horrible waste of money and had very cheap non durable plastic.

If you get a decent tx you can dumb down a mini so it can be flown easier indoors but it wont self-right like an offset flybar fp heli
The MiniCP has some advantages over the Genius, especially the frame design, and also the gyro. But coming from a coax, to flybarless CP might be too big a step. I am currently trying to master the MiniCP, and I can't imagine doing anything more than hover in a small room.

The Solo Pro V could be an option as intermediate trainer, you could get a BnF and use the TX of the Solo/Free Spirit. Chances are though a BnF Solo Pro will be more expensive than RTF V911 kit. And it seems the quality on later batches of the SP are not as good as in the beginning. So probably a V911 might be the best option, get used to it's higher speed over your current coax, and then get a MiniCP.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
The MiniCP has some advantages over the Genius, especially the frame design, and also the gyro. But coming from a coax, to flybarless CP might be too big a step. I am currently trying to master the MiniCP, and I can't imagine doing anything more than hover in a small room.
.
I would say IMHO the biggest is the gyro as they are uncomparable.

Yes it isnt a transition for everyone but he said genius as a possiblity.

As far as the mini if you are having issues you can tame it down to be very docile.
I had my cowoker fly the mcpx going from about 10 flights on a coax...and the mcpx gyro doesnt compare to the mini. ..not to mention another friend here on rcgroups that went from coax to genius... So it is very possible if you have the wants and are willing to spend time to learn to fly with corrections instead of just darting around the home right away with an offset flybar.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
No not a bad price at all...But you have a higher repair bill due to a gyro that isnt comparable and maintanence that is way more of a pain if you break a skid..which he will.

just to show how good the gyro is on the mini i was able to hover 1/4" and lower off the floor with minimal effort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNroM...4&feature=plcp
Admitedly, I've been reading lots of "The Genius CP is AMAZING" threads, but lots of folks seem to have good things to say about it - the closest I've seen is (to paraphrase) what the genius does could be considered 'twitchy' indoors translates to eager to perform outdoors"....

Anyway, that particular ship has sailed.

But holy cow - nice flying there sir.
AbeFM is offline Find More Posts by AbeFM
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Genius is not as good as the min CP, but for $140 RTF with Devo 7, it's not bad.
Actually they are pretty much the same. Never heard anything bad about the genius cp.
helikido is offline Find More Posts by helikido
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
Actually they are pretty much the same. Never heard anything bad about the genius cp.
I tend to agree with you. But the general consensus is the Mini CP is sooooo much better, so I didn't want to argue. Maybe it's better at 3D.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:07 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I tend to agree with you. But the general consensus is the Mini CP is sooooo much better, so I didn't want to argue. Maybe it's better at 3D.
Iv been reading up on the Mini CP lately, and it has stronger motors, is more durable, and its gyro is in a different class then the genius, only reason to go for the genius is the cheaper x100 rebrand & the 6 axis gyro.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikido View Post
Actually they are pretty much the same. Never heard anything bad about the genius cp.
personally my genius while a good heli got shelved when I got the miniCP
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Iv been reading up on the Mini CP lately, and it has stronger motors, is more durable, and its gyro is in a different class then the genius, only reason to go for the genius is the cheaper x100 rebrand & the 6 axis gyro.
Well, I'll tell you the accelerometer on the Genius does not function like you would expect it would. It's kind of a waste of time. The battery charger it comes with will ruin the batteries, too. But, the main motor is the best brushed motor Walkera has ever made as far as durability and reliability goes.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Iv been reading up on the Mini CP lately, and it has stronger motors, is more durable, and its gyro is in a different class then the genius, only reason to go for the genius is the cheaper x100 rebrand & the 6 axis gyro.
Your wrong their buddy. they use the same main motor, except the main gear is smaller so that equalls more head rpm which leads you to believe that it is "stronger". but yes everything else is an advantage lol
helikido is offline Find More Posts by helikido
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another "What is it" thread.... Alien_Tech Classic Pattern Flying 11 Nov 03, 2012 07:35 PM
Help! Yet another NAZA arming thread ivers Multirotor Talk 20 Jul 14, 2012 11:46 AM
Discussion beginner from scratch - What to buy? (YANT - Yet Another Noob Thread) mspencer1 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 19 Mar 12, 2010 08:48 AM
(YET ANOTHER) "what servos?" thread Zhack Slope 2 Sep 08, 2004 02:46 PM
Yet another what to buy thread... (SAL/DLG, long post) dimple Hand Launch 28 Dec 20, 2003 03:36 AM