HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Discussion
How much do you carry in spare parts ?

Apparently after taking stock - too much [ well? ] .
After using a Turnigy 9x for a month or so the opportunity came to buy another , so I thought , hmmm . [ Yes , purchased another 9x ]

Apparently I have enough parts to build a few of these :

450Kit - was sitting around waiting for one of my 450's to die
Servo's , HK digital - cyclic + HK digital metal gear for tail
HK 401B Gyro
Aeolian 40A ESC
X450 heli motor [ 11T pinion ] 4000KV or higher

Now I just need to wait for the Tx to arrive [ posted the other day ]
old4570 is online now Find More Posts by old4570
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
most parts come in sets or 2 or 3 so i have any where from 1 to 2 crashes worth of parts around other then blades

but things to keep around are main gears, main shaft, feathering shaft, tail boom, any TT gears if the helis has a TT, Servo gear sets
most parts are pretty cheap main blades are the thing that costs the most money
then frames
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Yeah , + some tail rotor spares , and a few spare heads .
I just dont seem to be able to get rotor blades in fast enough !
I have them on order but they take for ever to get here and one order was cancelled from the other end , another has vanished , and the remaining orders are lagging .
Last lot of blades were some what light / thin , and broke easy , just the slightest contact and they broke .. Not bad blades , but just not noob strong .

Need to find a good reliable dealer for rotor blades [ and priced right ]

But for some reason , dont matter who one buys from , the rotor blades seem to take 3 to 4 times longer to get here than other orders , strange that .
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,495 Posts
cheap blades fly like crap
wile your learning the Align wood blades work great and are cheap
once your not crashing so much change to CF blades
but DO NOT touch fiberglass blades they have to much flex more then even wood and dont break as easly as CF
wile that might seem like a good thing its better to break a set of blades then take out the head and grips
the head wont break most of the time and if you have metal grips you should fine there too
if there bending then there crap metal

most clone parts are junk and you should replace with real Align parts when you can
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Hmmm CF

2 of my heli's have CF blades ...

For Sunday flying - not much difference , though , the CF blades do seem to handle wind a little better , maybe cos there stiffer .

But heavier glass blades are better again :
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,169 Posts
I have a box of parts for every heli (I think 9 since I sold the 120SR). Extra screws, landing gear/frames, canopy, main shaft, feathering shaft,tail booms, main and tail rotors, at least one servo for each, tail motors, main and tail drive gears, ball linkage ends, misc tail and rotor head parts. I try to keep ahead on the parts that break most often - can't stand waiting for parts from China!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
I try and keep a stock of the parts most likely to break in an accident. Blades, flybars, paddles, center hubs,. shafts, gears, motor parts, etc. This helps avoid the Chinese new year backlog which is invevitable
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I have sooo many spare parts. Over the past year - 3 main shafts for $5? I'll take 5 of those. 325mm 'Carbon fiber' blades for $5? I'll get 10. Etc, etc. I could fix my 450s 15 times over in the event of a catastrophic crash. Unfortunately, the cheap CF blades are junk on a FBL heli, but work well with a FB head. The $4 fiberglass ones from XHeli work well, which I also bought so there you go.

I don't crash that much any more, but it is nice to have a little box with everything I need now, instead of rolling the dice with the LHS.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
Keep an extra set of landing gear...glass fiber blades are a little more forgiving on small tip overs than carbon fiber or wood blades...A small scrape on wood blades breaks the coating making them useless...Whatever servos you have keep an extra set of gears for those servos...Even on metal gear servos there is a plastic gear that acts like a safety so nothing else in the servo gets damaged...Main shafts...feathering shafts...If you have torque tube an extra set of torque tube gears....tail boom...You can keep the parts like the tail boom and landing gear cheap when learning but as your flying skills improve so should the quality of your heli...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, NJ, West Orange
Joined Aug 2007
799 Posts
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is BEARINGS. Main shaft bearings especially; the top one in a 450 wears noticeably even without a crash, then you get vibrations.
nybbler is offline Find More Posts by nybbler
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
I try to keep a rolling inventory of spare parts, generally the parts that tend to break most often, such as blades, rotor hubs, linkages, shafts, gears, etc, On the relatively rare occaisions that I need to replace a part I try and order a backup part as soon as possible. That way I keep an inventory of critical parts on hand. Seems to work out, last couple of times things broke I was able to get things fixed and back in the air in a matter of minutes. Of course during a large part of the year I don;t fly very often so there are not many parts breaking when its sitting parked on the shelf.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:27 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
I have enough spare parts to build 2 of each heli, Between the 450 , SE , PRO.
The 500 I keep a spare kit , same with the 600 . The 700 is mostly for looks , I have limited spares for it , it really dose t get the same air shakedown as the others ..... It's too big and scary LOL.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo