HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
cut the cooling fins off the engine and cleaned it up. this thing isn't even 30 cc! I thought that it was and had a clutch and that was why u guys had said to get it! oh well it'll work. water tested the boat and it's got a couple small leaks that I've gotta fix. my payment to zippkits was cleared today so should be getting the parts by the end of the week!
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
parts shipped today! here's a couple pics of the engine. hopefully going to get a spark plug tomaro. this is the exact same engine as I already had. darn. trying to find a program that'll let me print DXF files so I can print a template for a tuned pipe and muffler
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
got a spark plug but haven't tested it yet. autocad's supposed to be able to print DXF files but inventor can't. gonna try and download autocad and look for some new pipe software

edit: lookin at this: http://buildandclick.com/html/all_products.html
Last edited by builder bob; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Gidday

I'm planning to build a deep vee and put the motor from my tamiya rc petrol car 1/4 scale into the boat for its engine. Will this be power full enough or will it not be a big enough motor to power this size boat. Is there any way to scale the plans down to and effective size for my motor? The motor is a 12CV if that helps?

download youtube videos
Larzyboy is offline Find More Posts by Larzyboy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
aren't those motors 25cc? probably would work. you can get the plans scaled to any size by bringing them to a printing place. what's CV?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:23 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 12CV in a 1/4-scale car from Tamiya in gas form. The 12CV that I know of was an old O.S. nitro motor. They also used motors from Fantom Racing for a while. I don't know of any gas/petrol engines from Tamiya but I haven't kept up with what they've been doing the past dozen years.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Last edited by Ron Olson; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
weird, in the email i got saying some one had posted it said some one said that the engine is 17 cc but that's not here.

my parts came in today! i'll put them in this weekend! i'll post a pic of what I've got too. is the little brass hose connecter on the stinger for water to be hooked up to?

isn't CV a measurement of the engine's power also?
Last edited by builder bob; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
That was me before re-reading and commenting on this thread.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
oh ok. the prop should be as low down on the boat as possible right?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
not reall. I'm guessing that you're using the surface driver setup so the center of the flex cable should be about 1/2" above where the V meets. There are some factors that come into play when setting up a surface drive, the angle of the V and the length of the strut or stinger. A long stinger and a deep V makes the stinger have to be mounted higher.
There is a "happy place" for the drive as too low can make the hull torque roll and/or chine-walk. Too high will just free up the prop too much and can suffer from cavitation.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
so is it kind of trial in erer?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
I can and can't be. The 1/2" up should be really close if not spot on. Some problems if they arise can be simply fixed or checked by trying different prop sizes.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
so is should just try 1/2 inch up then?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
made the mounting holes for the rudder and stinger. I'm going to get some silicon caulking to seal up around the holes. there's a little leak in the boat that I haven't found yet. how powerful of a servo do I need for the rudder??
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:28 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
Shoe-Goo works great for sealing up holes in hull around the driveline and helps to provide some vibration isoation.
As far as power goes for a rudder servo, I've been using Hi-tec HS 645-MG's on all of my boats from .21 nitro up to the gassers without any problems but otherwise something with 120 oz. in. or more will do.