HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Working on my boat today went good and bad.
The good: I got the ply I needed, I got all the parts cut out, and I cut the peices carefully to remove my usual style of making things quick and messy.

The bad: I didn't get to start putting it together yet, I lost one of the gushy silicon tips for my earbuds, i got my finger in the way of my bandsaw blade.
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder bob View Post
Working on my boat today went good and bad.
The good: I got the ply I needed, I got all the parts cut out, and I cut the peices carefully to remove my usual style of making things quick and messy.

The bad: I didn't get to start putting it together yet, I lost one of the gushy silicon tips for my earbuds, i got my finger in the way of my bandsaw blade.
that last bit sounds worse then i ment. the blade had fallen off because i had forgotten to tigten it. i put it back on but it wasn't in the middle of the weel so i was spinning it by hand to get the blade in the center. it wasn't moveing very quickly so i spun the wheel quickly. my hand then got pulled into the blade and my finger got stuck between it, the outside of the saw, and the support for the blade which cut into my finger. i now have two large cuts in the center of my nail. luckily the teath didn't cut too deep into my skin. it got me prety nervous though because of the amount of blood. well, at least any scarting should be hard to see
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
now that i've stoped herting my self with power tools (i had also stuck my finger into a disk sander), the boat is comeing along quickly. here's the windsheild i made wile waiting for some parts to dry:
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
the hull:
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Ron is the below boat of yours a JAE 12 that is here: http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Plans_and_Info.html
my brother is building it and we can't figure what goes on the top and bottom of the floats.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i have found a problem with the plans. in the front of the bottom of the boat the sides can't be connected because the curve is to slow. also the sides are 1.5-2" two long.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Trim to fit
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
That's what I've bin trying, guess I shud try some more
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I finally have closed the crack in the bottom of the boat with a bunch of 5 Minit epoxy. The sides are annoying me because Of bends and because they are to big. The top is also 1/4" to big on either side of the boat. I have checked all of the parts with he plans and things are only off by 1/16 at most
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
It is not uncommon for boat plans to show the planking oversize so they can be trimmed to fit. better a little oversize than a bit to small. It is all part of learning to be a builder,Bob.
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
the bottom joint and the top being a little big makes sense but why leave an extra inch of wood on the side peices? here's my boat, it needs more flotation and the top to be connected. every time i put another peice on this boat it seams to grow. 4 ft didn't seam big on a tape mesure but now that the hulls built it looks huge!
Last edited by builder bob; Aug 28, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I glassed the area where I will probably put the engine
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I have decided not to use a gas engine any more. I started building this boat because I had finally found a regulator that ould step down the pressure of a paintball tank to 50-200 psi. The tanks have 2000+ psi in them which makes it so that an efficient engine could run for a very long time. I have experience with these engines, I have plans for multiple types, and not all of them require machining. One of the engines address the problem with many air engines by having a seperate timing system to allow all of the air out of the engine to alleviate unwanted compression. One of the engines that dose this I don't have plans for but they can be made from the pictures. I have a friend who has been working on plans for an engine like his one and alll he needed was the timing system. Once the plans are done he'll machine them at the school he goes to. When he's fininished I'll borrow the part on the timing and make my own out of telescopic tubing. On the site that had engine that had the timing system that i showed to my friend, it said that his engine will run if you blow into the pipe where air pressure goes into the engine. Also if the engine has more than five cylinders it will start itself and has no need of a flywheel. Now imagine a V8 version running at 100 psi. An engine like that would be very powerful.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
anybody know where i can get the teloscopic tubing i need?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i've successfully added floatation to my boat and put on the top. i also made a small stand.