SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Build Log
first big boat/first working (hopfully) boat

very soon i will be starting work on a 48" gas mono. i need to know what would be good materials for making it. i was thinking pine frame and balsa covered in fiberglass for the outside, is this a good idea? here are the plans i am using: http://www.modelgasboats.com/forum/1...eep-vee/#17469 i just got em printed
also i was wondering if anybody new where to get all the hardwhere.
Nick
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
No plans found at that link. I would use 1/4 ply for the frame work and 1/8 ply for the planking. Fiberglass the outside and seal the inside with resin. www.whobbies.com is an RCG sponser and will have power plants and all required hardware. Give Tony a call, he's been at it for a long time.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
410 Posts
An alternative to building that 48" deep vee is Zipkitts Easy Vee which has all the wood and a good set of instructions. At $59 it's a cheap build.You can also get hardware at Zippkits that is very good at a desent price. http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=260
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
is regular ply fine? here is the actual link: http://www.modelgasboats.com/forum/1...eep-vee/#17469
i already had the plans printed out for me walker so i'm going to build it, also both boats are very similar looking.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Cheap ply will work fine as long as it is sealed up well.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:13 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,736 Posts
Builder Bob, I forgot to say good luck with the build in the other thread. I will have to check back on your progress. I see your getting good responses already.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Thanks, I have a working engine now so it shud drive. Why is plywood needed to cover the boat if it is glassed?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
what is a good sized prop for a 25cc weed eater engine? i probably will be putting a tuned pipe on it if i can figure out what the rpm is.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
What brand 25cc motor are you useing? Not just any weedwacker motor will work. Homelites are the cheapest and easy to use. Don't use the new ones. They are Ryobi clones. A Prather 265 prop is a good start.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
i think it was homelite, i cut the plastic cover and spraypainted it and i replaced some parts on the carb from another engine. it started off red and black. it now runs well, i got it to start last night after i found two little nobs that i think are for air and fuel (they're red and white). it ran soooooo fast!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
it is a homelite and it probably is old (i didn't buy it). how do you mount it, can i tap holes in the engine? i'm picking up the plans today and hopfully i will be able to get the wood.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Hi

Hi Really nice going,

well you can buy parts from online

i have few site i have in mind http://www.sunsetmarine.com
Edmond92 is offline Find More Posts by Edmond92
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
Edmond, that's a full-sized boat site that won't do us any good.

Bob, the question is, why use fiberglass over the wood? Unless you're going to bash into a lot of stuff, epoxy-coated wood will work just fine.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder bob View Post
i think it was homelite, i cut the plastic cover and spraypainted it and i replaced some parts on the carb from another engine. it started off red and black. it now runs well, i got it to start last night after i found two little nobs that i think are for air and fuel (they're red and white). it ran soooooo fast!
Post a pic. If the plastic cover is boxy not rounded then you should be fine. Did the engine have a clutch? If it dosen't you can add one but don't use the stock clutch shoes. They are junk and fail fast. Remove the plastic restricter covers from the carb needle to get better preformance. Depending on which carb you have the Walbro is better than a Zama.

To mount the motor you can choose two ways. One was it 3 point mount You make a metal bracket that attaches to the back of the black plastic cover using the exhisting 4 holes and cut the plastic cover flush to the block. make the metal 1" longer to attach another piece of metal that fits between the rails the parts should over lap and drill 2 holes you can use 2 bolts and nylocks to attach. Make sure to use rubber bumpers on the rails. Use the front where the shaft of the trimmer shaft fits in and take some plumming parts and make it fit a stub shaft. I can post pics of what I mean later and epoxy the mount in the bottom of the boat. The only bad thing about this way is that the motor vibration can make this mount damage the hull and if not done right. It can make things worse later. My boat had this setup and I kept haveing problems with vibration. It just kept breaking. I found out what was the real problem. I blew out the front bearing and cracked the short block where the bearing was.. So you may want to invest in high RPM bearings? The other was is to make a 4 point mount. I found this to be much better at keeping down the vibration. The back mount is the same as described but you need some rubber bumpers and make 3 brackets brackets to mount it. One for each side of the rail and one that attached to the front of the motor recoil shroud.. The 4 point mount will only work if your motor has the black aluminum cover that the trimmer shaft fits into and attaches to the front. All the parts needed can be found at you local hardware store.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Last edited by txt killer; Jul 25, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
The 4 point mount will only work if your motor has the black aluminum cover that the trimmer shaft fits into and attaches to the front. All the parts needed can be found at you local hardware store.
do you mean the grip? the aluminum shaft or the flex cable? the engine has no clutch and has a boxy black back. i will get pics soon. i was not able to get ply wood today. but i was able to make all of the parts that were for 1/4" out of some baltic burch i had left over from making a longboard. i'm glad that fiberglass isn't kneeded but how do i thin epoxy down enough to paint it on thin? is using ply for the 1/8" peices necessary? if so this boat will take awile because the only place i know that sells it is an hour away (same with the hobby shop ).