HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:23 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Discussion
Mini MiG

Well, it had to happen. I got bit by the mini EDF bug, in the form of E-flite's UMX MiG 15 EDF jet. Had my eye on this plane for some time, then got to actually fly another club member's UMX MiG 15. That sealed the deal.

So, another micro to the ever growing Micro Fleet. Learning now about alternate batteries, as the included E-flite 200 2S 25C pack is marginal at best. So, will be looking at the MiniAviation 300 2S and Thunder Power's 325 2S 65C packs. Probably will look at what Hyperion has to offer, as I have had good luck with the 1S 240 25C's for some time now, being used in the HZ Champ, UM P-51 Mustang, UM T28 Trojan, and the UM J-3 Cub. Stay tuned, it's another learning experience, and IMHO, a great way to get into EDF's.

RD

Update 08/02/12: Mini Aviation 2S 300mAh 30C Lipo packs (4) arrived. They fit the Mini MiG perfectly, and I was able to go to neutral trim on the elevator, as the packs weighed in at 16 grams, as compared to 13 grams for the original E-flite 200mAh 25C 2S Lipo, and 24 grams for the E-flite 300mAh 2S 35C Lipo. For the record, the 200mAh 2S Lipo supplied with the plane is barely adequate to get a good 3 minute flight. Initial flights with the Mini Aviation 300's were limited to 4 minutes so as to not overwork the new packs. Once there has been a few chrge/discharge cycles, I would expect these Mini Aviation 300 packs to provide for 5 minute flights. The plane is also now being flown without landing gear. Saved 3 grams weight there, and it makes belly landings easier. More as it happens.

Update 09/20/12: Thunder Power 2S 325mAh 65C packs from RCBabble are clearly the best I have used thus far. Breaking in the Lipos carefully, should be able to milk 6 minute flights, with throttle management. Of course, it's almost impossible to NOT fly the Mini MiG at WOT. What a hoot. Great model. Working up the cajones to fly the MiG from my own Aerodrome, now that some of the trees have been.....um.....cleared.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 20, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
I got to handle one of these at the local hobby shop and I'm a bit concerned about how "Floppy" the horizontal stabilizers feel.
I would be worried about then folding up while pulling out of a mild dive.

What are you're thoughts??
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-181 View Post
I got to handle one of these at the local hobby shop and I'm a bit concerned about how "Floppy" the horizontal stabilizers feel.
I would be worried about then folding up while pulling out of a mild dive.

What are you're thoughts??
The horizontal stabs are definitely on the "thin" side. However, I find they are more easily damaged via "hangar rash" then actual flying. I already put a crease in the port side stab, which I repaired with a piece of clear tape. I am presently flying the Mini MiG with an E-flite 300mAh 2S 35C battery pack. This Lipo weighs in at 24 grams, versus 14 for the supplied 200mAh 2S pack. I removed the landing gear, saving 3 grams there, and full rate elevator was set at 90% of throw. As a result, the inside loops are large, and there has been no indication of damage to the stabs. I might end up running a fine strip of CF near the hing line, for reinforcement. Great flying plane, can't believe how stable it is and how easy it is to hand launch.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:51 PM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
Sweet. thanks for sharing.

Eric
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181