SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Well I got some more done before work today. All my time so far has gone into planning and placement of componets. I am building 2 different jets at same time but I may buckle down and stay on this one....
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,094 Posts
Retract Struts

The instructions call for cutting the nose strut 2" and the main struts 2-1/4" from the bottom of the coils. This leaves no room for error or "manufacturing tolerances".

Instead either cut the struts ~5/16" longer than recommended, or fit the assembled gear into the airframe before cutting.

A little long won't hurt; a little short will.
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Here is what I have got done so far. After everythin was installed I checked CG and its perfect, so now I have to do is finish it. Mach All Alloy fan with mega 16/45/1 on 6s 3850 with the 160HV ESC.....takes planning too get this right the 1st time!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Aug 03, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:58 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
891 Posts
Gary,

What would you recommend for a good 4S setup? Thanks!

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
54 Posts
Just received mine

Hello All,

I just received my Habu 2 this afternoon. I will be building it stock, but will also be adding the flaps. Down the road I may elect to install retracts, but for now, my EDF landings are not good enough for retracts.

I enjoyed how the original Habu flew so if this one flies the same or slightly faster, I will derive a lot of enjoyment out of it. I do like the improved visibility of this new color scheme. I bet it will really stand out when in the air.

Those of you who have started to assemble it, does the wing fit more snugly with the fuselage so that there is not any gap in the intake ducts along the side of the fuselage? My original Habu did not match up tightly and I had to put some silicone caulk along the seam to seal the intake duct to improve the intake efficiency.

Overall, I am looking forward to assembling it the next couple evenings as time permits and hope to maiden it this weekend.
jpdjr is offline Find More Posts by jpdjr
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Wing fits good, but I still will spot CA the intakes together....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel View Post
Gary,

What would you recommend for a good 4S setup? Thanks!

R
The Stock motor is 3200kv. A 3600-3700kv motor would be considered "semi Hot" for 4s,( Velocity 2860-2700 or MEGA 16/35/1) and give you a bit more power (in the stock fan).

the E-Flite rotor are good, but they do NOT come balanced from the factory.
Put your rotor on a prop balancer to see...then static balance it, and use the "clock" method to get as smooth as you can by rotating the 45* then running it up slowly (at the same rpm every time) and feel for the smoothest position.
Do this at 3s power and low rpms only.

We can also assemble and Dynamically balance any (new) setup for you.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

I don't have the E-Flite 70mm EDF's yet. You can send me a new one, or the Wemotec Minifan or HET 6904 is a good a choice.

Make yourself a mylar thrust Tube that's 2.1" dia at the outlet for low cost added speed.
The stock foam outlet is 2 3/8" is tooo big for top end speed, but fine if it's just high thrust that you want
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Ready to fly!

I would say that if you are useing retracts, to sand the clevis insides to allow it to slid easy on steering part of retract. I also noticed that the intakes could flex at the joint so I tack glued some medium CA to joint area. You can always use a razor knife to cut that area if you need to remove wing.Mine balanced at
4 and 1/16 from leading edge of wing with NO additional weight added anywhere.
Should get test flight and video tommorro evening. Cant wait to see what 3000 watts does!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:33 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
891 Posts
I fly from a thick grass runway and so far I haven't had any issues taking off from it, the grass completely covers the wheels. I use 13mm of flaps along with full up elevator during the rollout and haven't had an aborted take off yet. Actually I was quite surprised yesterday when I went flying in the morning. The air was very heavy and humid, the grass was still wet from the morning dew and there wasn't any wind at all. I will admit that I had my doubts that the Habu wouldn't get off but it did. The run was longer than usual but it did get airborne. As soon as it's airborne, I retract the gear to reduce drag and in a couple of seconds after that I raise the flaps. My Habu is completly stock and I'm using the recommended E-flite battery, so far it's been a fun jet, it's not has fast as my Sniper, but it's a no stress and fun jet to fly.

Question: If I install a thrust tube that ends in the 2.1 diameter that Efflux Gary recommends, will this make the take off roll shorter or longer? TIA!

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Answered in other thread.....otw out to go test mine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:16 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
with NO additional weight added anywhere.
Should get test flight and video tommorro evening. Cant wait to see what 3000 watts does!
Wow... That is awesome! What is the All Up Weight?

Thanks!

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Here are my 2 flights today!

I did not install flaps, 1st flight landing was a little hot but I figured it out and nailed 2nd flight landing. Turn up volume to hear that fan whoosh!
Habu2 maiden flight (2 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
2nd flight today.

I was hoping my new batteries would have came in yesterday, but they didnt.My 6s Thunder dud battery had to do the work today. Flights still great and unlimited verticle performance was great!
Habu2 2nd flight (2 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
very cool Joe, glad to see you back at it
have you doplered or radared it yet it looks to be around 110 or so, I would say not bad except for the 3kw ya I know thunderduds but when you get new bats your going to be looking at 3400watts do you have an auw on her
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:19 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Thank you sir, its not quite 3000watts with that battery, Voltage drop was bad, was only getting about 2600watts with it.I was dropping to 20.5 volts in the flight at only 105 amps. Battery is 65c 3300 but its junk. My new batteries should be in early this week and then I will have way more bang in the tail pipe. I have not weight it yet but its not that heavy.Even though, it has alot of verticle now, cant wait to see what it does at or even over at 3000watts...
RCG Plus Member