HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomo View Post
Thanks Bill

At first, I didn't think that I was actually going too, but the more I think about it I probably will...especially since I have a CC 10AMP BEC laying around...just have to remember on how to hook it up
The wiring diagram is on the Castle site but you simply disconnect the stock power lead (red wire) from the ESC to the receiver and connect the BEC to the Receiver and power it through soldering to the battery lead.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,336 Posts
Nice H2 Yomo!
Hey,if anybody is looking for an up grade fan/motor. I have a 5-6s setup for sale.Wemo Pro and HET 1W40 motor with heatsink, ready to install,runs great,like new and up to 2400 watts at 90 amps.PM me interested.Prof100 gets it.
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
So I have finally stripped out the stock power system but having a hard time sorting through the sea of upgrades out there for this plane. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking of a 2100-2200kv motor, 6s battery and 100A esc but how do you compensate for all the added weight? Any ideas on the fan? Then I think about staying with the 4s and going to a 10 blade fan with maybe a 3000-3700kv motor but I think the A would outrageous. Will the carbon filled plastic housings still work on 6s or is an alum one recommended? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, oh and my old power system is for sale, you can view it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750448
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641 View Post
So I have finally stripped out the stock power system but having a hard time sorting through the sea of upgrades out there for this plane. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking of a 2100-2200kv motor, 6s battery and 100A esc but how do you compensate for all the added weight? Any ideas on the fan? Then I think about staying with the 4s and going to a 10 blade fan with maybe a 3000-3700kv motor but I think the A would outrageous. Will the carbon filled plastic housings still work on 6s or is an alum one recommended? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, oh and my old power system is for sale, you can view it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750448
You should consider FH64_Lucky's power plant for sale... Thats the best way to go if you wish to use 5-6s packs. But if you want to use 4-5s I would recommend my setup, 2950kv motor (edfhobbies.com) on a 10 blade cs fan powered with 110A esc with external bec. A Castle Ice 100A would also work well for both applications. However you will have to make a decision at some point regarding what packs you wish to use because a 6s setup doesn't go well with 10 blade fans.
From what I can see, this plane handles extra weight pretty well. Lighter is always better and there are ways to shed weight, such as going for a hand toss setup opposed to retracts or maybe using flaperons instead of flaps. Most people move the esc to the back for better cooling and weight balancing reasons. Big batteries up front can be offset with big motors and esc's in the back.
Just takes some planning and a little bit of tweaking.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Ok...anybody setup their Spektrum DX7 yet with flaps and retracts for the Habu 2??

Would you please share
I'm setup that way, what ya need to know?

Kurtzz
Kurtzz is offline Find More Posts by Kurtzz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Moorpark
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtzz View Post
I'm setup that way, what ya need to know?

Kurtzz
Expo/dual rates, flaps and mix for elevator settings, throws, etc.

Maybe you could just download your setup from your Tx and email me the file?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

btpfried@gmail.com
Yomo is offline Find More Posts by Yomo
Last edited by Yomo; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
You should consider FH64_Lucky's power plant for sale... Thats the best way to go if you wish to use 5-6s packs. But if you want to use 4-5s I would recommend my setup, 2950kv motor (edfhobbies.com) on a 10 blade cs fan powered with 110A esc with external bec. A Castle Ice 100A would also work well for both applications. However you will have to make a decision at some point regarding what packs you wish to use because a 6s setup doesn't go well with 10 blade fans.
From what I can see, this plane handles extra weight pretty well. Lighter is always better and there are ways to shed weight, such as going for a hand toss setup opposed to retracts or maybe using flaperons instead of flaps. Most people move the esc to the back for better cooling and weight balancing reasons. Big batteries up front can be offset with big motors and esc's in the back.
Just takes some planning and a little bit of tweaking.
How do you like your 4s setup (sound, performance etc...)? How many amps and watts on 4s, 5s?
Last edited by erikc641; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Expo/dual rates, flaps and mix for elevator settings, throws, etc.

Maybe you could just download your setup from your Tx and email me the file?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

btpfried@gmail.com
Aileron/Elevator/Rudder dual rates 60%. Expo 25% on both rates. Aileron/Elevator throws 120%.

I have not played with mixing down elevator and flaps yet, but I would say 5% down on 1/2 flaps and 10% down on full flaps.

This is the way I maidened my Habu 2, added 1 oz lead shot/epoxy to the tailcone. All stock components witha Turnigy 3300 4S 30C batts.

I found these settings a little sluggish, I have been flying 3DHS AJ Slicks for the last few years and wanted a little more pop in the sticks with the Habu. I have since purchased a DX8 and increased throws to 150% on the Aileron/Elevators and reduced the expo to 20%. Weather this past Saturday was a little bad, heavy fog and have not flown the new setup yet. Still need to do a little flap mixing.

As soon as I test this out I will report back.

Kurtzz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641 View Post
How do you like your 4s setup (sound, performance etc...)? How many amps and watts on 4s, 5s?
I think the CS 10 blade is overated. I was kinda disappointed actually, but in the end I was glad that the Habu was at least 2/3rds quieter than with the stock setup. It actually sounds better on camera than it does in person.
Lol, kind of funny with the stock fan on 4s when it's the loudest screamer at the field and your getting passed by quiet little biplanes. I had to do something about it actually. I had the liberty of upgrading the esc to a 110A ZTW and using 5s BEFORE I had gotten the new fan. So I got to try out the stock on 5s, which was a shot in the arm indeed.
I put the 2950kv motor in there with the new 10 blade and on 4s it performed as well as it did a week earlier on 5s with the stock fan. Then when I put the 5s in there it had all you can eat vertical and was moving along really well. I never had the intention of making a speed demon out of the Habu (or else I would have gone 6s) but I wanted a sporty acrobatic jet with heaps of thrust. I wanted to float around in high alpha and then shoot up straight into the sky without looking back. I wanted the jet to take off from the ground in 50' or less but still land as slow and agile as it ever did when it was stock. I wanted it to have the balls needed to pull out of tip stall if I ever got myself into a predicament. I did have hiccups though, as can be expected when mod'n and hop'n up. The original motor lead extensions had crap solder and when I had my shaker flight with the new 10 blade thats when I noticed it. I have since replaced all the bullets with a hard wired soldered connection and it is solid! (bulletproof, lol) I finally have the plane running the way I wanted it, the way it should have been straight out of the box.

On 4s I was getting these numbers: (3500mAh 30C)
82.6 Amps peak (65A average full throttle)
1130 Watts peak (1000W average)

On 5s I was getting these numbers: (3300mAh 30C)
106.9 Amps peak (96A average)
1787 Watts peak (1500W average)
*and by average I mean once the lipo settles and I am beyond 15 secs full throttle

Either of these setups provided me with 3 minutes of full throttle fun and its worth noting that I managed to get cg at 4" without adding any dead weight. The plane was very responsive and landing would be easy (when Im not lazy and actually trying)
I use the eflite retracts and flaps cause I like flying a 6 channel plane. Some people in my group bought Dx6i's but never use more than 3 channels, lol. (throttle, ailerons, elevator)
I have posted my plane's maidens and shakers in its various forms in this thread already but you can find me on youtube (whalleyb0y). I hope this gives you all the info you need.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:12 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,336 Posts
I am trying to move all pictures/videos to 1st post,is this better or should I just leave it.Prof100 ESC mods I still need to move,I think those are geat pictures that explain alot....
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtzz View Post
Aileron/Elevator/Rudder dual rates 60%. Expo 25% on both rates. Aileron/Elevator throws 120%.

I have not played with mixing down elevator and flaps yet, but I would say 5% down on 1/2 flaps and 10% down on full flaps.

This is the way I maidened my Habu 2, added 1 oz lead shot/epoxy to the tailcone. All stock components witha Turnigy 3300 4S 30C batts.

I found these settings a little sluggish, I have been flying 3DHS AJ Slicks for the last few years and wanted a little more pop in the sticks with the Habu. I have since purchased a DX8 and increased throws to 150% on the Aileron/Elevators and reduced the expo to 20%. Weather this past Saturday was a little bad, heavy fog and have not flown the new setup yet. Still need to do a little flap mixing.

As soon as I test this out I will report back.

Kurtzz

Thanks Kurtzz!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Whos using the flaps? And if so, are you using the recommened throws of 13/25 mm?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
892 Posts
Quote:
Whos using the flaps? And if so, are you using the recommened throws of 13/25 mm?
I use flaps on the recommended throws and I am also mixing in a little up elevator for the the higher rate. (I am still experimenting with how much mixing is best)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
I believe for landing, I am using 8% for the elevator mix. Works well. I do not mix anything in for 1/2 flap (takeoff).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Pounding the Kool-Aid
First Hill of the Ozarks
Joined Dec 2008
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
I use flaps on the recommended throws and I am also mixing in a little up elevator for the the higher rate. (I am still experimenting with how much mixing is best)
I must have something screwed up, when I go to full flaps my nose pitches up requiring down trim.

Kurtzz