HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePS View Post
Hey Whalley...my first motor arrived DOA, nothing but a humming noise when powered up. I returned to edf hobbies (he replaced with no questions asked!) but later told me he thought the problem was a bad connector...that said, your suggestion may be the best preventative fix
Yup, I also thought his service was great when I had one of his motors replaced. But what kind of chimp has he got in the back doing all the cold joints? When I was replacing the connectors I had one fall right off in my hand.
WhalleyB0Y is online now Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Dumb question here. For the guys running 5s, are you hand launching? With the extra weight of the lipo and esc, I don't want to lawn dart it. Any advice?

Thanks
Mine hand launched fine on the stock 4s setup.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,327 Posts
I have been soldering all my motors to ESCs a long time now and dont have to worry about that.It also makes a smaller area to feed through ducting.Since I use mostly CC ESCs I do not worry about rotation,can always reverse that later.
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, CA, Moorpark
Joined Jan 2008
34 Posts
Any setups for the Spektrum DX7 with flaps and retracts?
Yomo is offline Find More Posts by Yomo
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641 View Post
Mine hand launched fine on the stock 4s setup.
I was asking about 5s setups(heavier lipos and esc), 4s has not been a problem for 2 years now.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
835 Posts
We got a nasty rainy weekend over here on the north west coast...
Makes for a great day to teach the little ones how to fly the H2 on the Phoenix simulator!

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350150907.180386.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 117.9 KB
Description:
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Hey guys when I had my shaker flight with the new CS fan on 5s I had encountered problems that had me puzzled.

* 2950kv motor on 5s 3300 mAh 30C with CS 10 blade fan

http://youtu.be/i5SBFfTQQpU

I have now located the problem and turned out to be bad factory soldering on those motor lead extension wires. I have now replaced them with 12awg silicone wire and soldered them directly to the motor this time.

I actually prefer doing it this way but was surprised that this was the condition from factory. I was really lucky to not have had a crash as this is already a replacement plane from HH.

I recommend to everyone to solder the leads directly.

Has anyone tried using dielectric grease on connectors? This product claims to enhance the connection and prevents arcing and damage to battery connections.

I use dielectric grease on large electrical connections, where the material is not the best conductor, like aluminum or tinned bronze, and are bolted together. Di-grease is also used on conductors that are of dissimilar metals and can corrode, or are prone to dirt, grime, and moisture. Most connectors that we use on rc equiptment are gold plated and are press fit, and moisture is minimal. I don't think you will see a benefit from using any grease. But if you do, let us know if you see any heat redcution at connections.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
754 Posts
And as far as soldering conncetions, toatally agree. When feasable, a soldered connection is the most secure and less resistive of all connections.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
100 amp ESC duct installation

I spent the last couple of days pondering how to avoid a hornet's next of ESC-to-motor wires because of moving the 100 amp ESC to the intake duct location. The challenge was how to go directly to the motor wires without using the three 15 inch stock motor-to-ESC wires.

What I did was deconstruct the back of intake duct and cut some channels inside to permit the three motor wires coming from the ESC to go directly to motor wires. Now I avoid a mess of wires in the back of the canopy area. The bare airframe's extension of the three motor wires are removed from the channel pocket because they are no longer needed.

Take a look at the three pictures. I think it is self explanatory.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
835 Posts
Hi Prof100, I really like what your doing and your ability to detail your photgraphs.
Trying to reduce wiring from excess servo leads, batteries and esc connections is a great idea to rid your plane of useless weight while making things look neat and tidy.
Looking at your pics here it appears to me like you saved yourself a couple inches of wiring by running the leads straight into the channel as opposed to going through the chase first. Or am I wrong? How much wiring did you manage to remove?
I would like to be able to make my own servo leads, removing any y- adaptors or extenders and making each servo have just the right size tail or splice needed. Where does one find the tools and materials needed to make custom leads?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Hi Prof100, I really like what your doing and your ability to detail your photgraphs.
Trying to reduce wiring from excess servo leads, batteries and esc connections is a great idea to rid your plane of useless weight while making things look neat and tidy.
Looking at your pics here it appears to me like you saved yourself a couple inches of wiring by running the leads straight into the channel as opposed to going through the chase first. Or am I wrong? How much wiring did you manage to remove?
I would like to be able to make my own servo leads, removing any y- adaptors or extenders and making each servo have just the right size tail or splice needed. Where does one find the tools and materials needed to make custom leads?
I removed 45 inches of 14 gage wire (i.e., the 3 stock motor to ESC wires which are 15 inches long). Besides saving weight I have eliminated the twisting, turning, looping back and tie wraps.

This type of modification, while looking easy, burns up a lot of time planning to make it work. It's the old "measure twice, cut once" rule.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
835 Posts
Ah ok I get it now! You will probably get better performance from your esc as well because they read voltages back from the motor, and long leads and multiple connectors will induce voltage drops.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Ah ok I get it now! You will probably get better performance from your esc as well because they read voltages back from the motor, and long leads and multiple connectors will induce voltage drops.

Good point, the shorter wires are always better than long for voltage drop.

And, thanks for the kind words about photos detailing the modifications. I do that because I know when others come up with new ideas I appreciate it when then they take the time to document with pictures and explanations.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,327 Posts
Are you guys putting any spars in the wings for strength? Also, watch the elevators,before I installed CF ribbon they got sluggish at top end speeds,I did notice after I added them it was much more crisp in response at full throttle,
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Are you guys putting any spars in the wings for strength? Also, watch the elevators,before I installed CF ribbon they got sluggish at top end speeds,I did notice after I added them it was much more crisp in response at full throttle,
I have not made the decision whether or not to install any CF reinforcement.
RCG Plus Member