HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Well, tonight I flew the following pattern on 4S: take off 100%, 100% on down wind leg, down to 90% next turn, 75-90 through the up wind section, then 100% in the turn and down wind.

I'd love to fly at 50% but the plane looks slow and I'm afraid of stall.

So with 75% throttle some of the time and 100% on the down wind leg, would the 16/35/1 last a long time on 5S with a good ESC and proper cooling? Is the Mega 16/35/1 a bolt on solution or does it need a trim/mods?
This was answered in posts #115 and #123.

Also, Learning to fly with throttle management is how you extend your fight times as well. This includes partial, full throttle, 3/4, mid and throttle off times.
CN can take my Habu 32 vertically, then do 2 loops, throttle off with the speed it carries. The Habu 2 is very light and will cruise at half throttle no problem. (stock)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
893 Posts
@ Sothpaw, this might be a little redundant and can sometimes be missed, but by chance did you set the throttle trim to the lowest setting?
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
@ Sothpaw, this might be a little redundant and can sometimes be missed, but by chance did you set the throttle trim to the lowest setting?
Not the lowest but it was in the lower half. The fan doesn't come on until you move the stick just a hair. I want to be able to turn the fan off if needed.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
This was answered in posts #115 and #123.

Also, Learning to fly with throttle management is how you extend your fight times as well. This includes partial, full throttle, 3/4, mid and throttle off times.
CN can take my Habu 32 vertically, then do 2 loops, throttle off with the speed it carries. The Habu 2 is very light and will cruise at half throttle no problem. (stock)
Thanks...how does one adjust shaft to fit the fan...with what tools? Do you sell the 16/35/1 already bolted up to an appropriate fan so that I can just bolt the pair in place of the stock 3200motor/delta15 fan? Building is not my thing
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,650 Posts
Quote:
Thanks...how does one adjust shaft to fit the fan...with what tools? Do you sell the 16/35/1 already bolted up to an appropriate fan so that I can just bolt the pair in place of the stock 3200motor/delta15 fan? Building is not my thing
Up till now, the only E-Flite fan I stock is the 80mm Delta V-32 (since I build them for the Habu 32...stock and modified)
I don't yet have the 70mm EDF.

If the motor shaft is approx 1/2" long, with a flat on it. ANY other motor may need to be modified to fit properly, by shortening the shaft and adding a flat for E-Flire shaft adaptor. The fan MUST sit very close to the motor housing (just shy of rubbing the housing or motor screws) This insures that you will not experience excess run out (wobble) for the shaft adaptor/rotor, often causing the shaft to bend and the rotor to crash.

We offer motor shaft mods ($10) for those who don't wish to do it.
http://www.effluxrc.com/5mm-Shaft-Mo...2-EFL32-SM.htm

...as well as complete EDF/Motor/heat sink assy and dynamic balancing for any EDF/motor combination for $45....this includes the motor shaft mod if required,,, and heat mounting with thermal compound and tacking in place with removable epoxy...if a heat sink is required/ordered.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

So yes. I can do any required mods, assemble and Balance for $49.
If I don't stock any of the required items (such as the E-Flite 70mm fan, at this time) you can send me yours, but it MUST be NIB.

Custom orders such as this can be billed by Paypal invoice (or a CC)
Please email us with any special orders. effluxrc@gmail.com

Gary

PS, if you wish to mod the shaft yourself, I can provide you dimensions similar to this so you can do it yourself with a carbide cutoff wheel in a Dremel and a 1/8 grinding stone wheel.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Sep 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Up till now, the only E-Flite fan I stock is the 80mm Delta V-32 (since I build them for the Habu 32...stock and modified)
I don't yet have the 70mm EDF.

If the motor shaft is approx 1/2" long, with a flat on it. ANY other motor may need to be modified to fit properly, by shortening the shaft and adding a flat for E-Flire shaft adaptor. The fan MUST sit very close to the motor housing (just shy of rubbing the housing or motor screws) This insures that you will not experience excess run out (wobble) for the shaft adaptor/rotor, often causing the shaft to bend and the rotor to crash.

We offer motor shaft mods ($10) for those who don't wish to do it.
http://www.effluxrc.com/5mm-Shaft-Mo...2-EFL32-SM.htm

...as well as complete EDF/Motor/heat sink assy and dynamic balancing for any EDF/motor combination for $45....this includes the motor shaft mod if required,,, and heat mounting with thermal compound and tacking in place with removable epoxy...if a heat sink is required/ordered.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

So yes. I can do any required mods, assemble and Balance for $49.
If I don't stock any of the required items (such as the E-Flite 70mm fan, at this time) you can send me yours, but it MUST be NIB.

Custom orders such as this can be billed by Paypal invoice (or a CC)
Please email us with any special orders. effluxrc@gmail.com

Gary

PS, if you wish to mod the shaft yourself, I can provide you dimensions similar to this so you can do it yourself with a carbide cutoff wheel in a Dremel and a 1/8 grinding stone wheel.
Sounds great! Thanks! Just what I was looking for. What fan would I buy from your shelf that would be a good fit for the 16/35/1 on 5S with thrust to weight ratio of the airframe in mind?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
I bought the mylar / acetate locally at Blick Art supply. A 24x40 sheet of 5 mil was $3.50. I opted for 7 mil which was $5.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,650 Posts
Quote:
Sounds great! Thanks! Just what I was looking for. What fan would I buy from your shelf that would be a good fit for the 16/35/1 on 5S with thrust to weight ratio of the airframe in mind?
This would be a good resonably price set up for 5s with ~5lbs thrust.
A clean Habu should do about 115.

Wemotec Minifan Pro:
http://www.effluxrc.com/WeMoTec-Mini...FP70RTR317.htm

Heat sink:
http://www.effluxrc.com/Axial-Finned...-HETHS3935.htm

Castle Ice 100:
http://www.effluxrc.com/Castle-Phoen...C-CCICE100.htm

You will need 3750-4000 Mah, 30c (or better) lipos.

If you place the ESC in the Stock location you will need 3 ft of 12GA wire. (the stock 13ga wire will get too hot).
http://www.effluxrc.com/12-AWG-Silcone-wire-12AWG.htm

And 3 sets of bullet conectors for the ESC to motor connection. These are 6mm.
http://www.effluxrc.com/6MM-Bullet-C...Set-6MMBUL.htm
I suggest that you move the ESC to a more aft location, as some others did. this will also help in CGing the jet and you wont need the long wires.

The link to the assemble and balance ( fan/motor/heat sink) is in a post above if you would like me to do it for you.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2007
46 Posts
Hi,What an awsome EDF plane! I was flying her all day today...did around 20 flights! My Habu 2 is tired...
ParkZone Habu 2 New Version (3 min 36 sec)

One more..
ParkZone Habu 2 EDF Flight (3 min 45 sec)
boolis is offline Find More Posts by boolis
Last edited by boolis; Sep 27, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:13 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Thank you boolis...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Sep 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
81 Posts
Installing Flaps

If I order the PZ flap servos, what else do you need? Are the clevises already on the flaps? Do you need to buy your own push rods, etc?
TX79 is offline Find More Posts by TX79
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,342 Posts
Do you have a LHS close by?Making the control rods are easy, and you can use about any horns for the wings.Things like that, people like myself have junk boxes full of stuff that we recycle for other planes.If and when you do crash your planes(you will,we all do!)strip old parts off airframe before you throw it away,pull horns,rods, any hardware you can,after a while you will be a mini hardware HS...Sheesh I must have crashed alot of planes over 30 years...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
If I order the PZ flap servos, what else do you need? Are the clevises already on the flaps? Do you need to buy your own push rods, etc?
All the materials you need should be included regardless of which version, minus the servos. I just received an airframe only and am very surprised how complete it is. Find the little bag with the white control horns and it's all in there. Also received a CC ICE 100 and a TP 5s 3300 45c lipo. Will post some pics soon.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
81 Posts
Habu Flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
All the materials you need should be included regardless of which version, minus the servos. I just received an airframe only and am very surprised how complete it is. Find the little bag with the white control horns and it's all in there. Also received a CC ICE 100 and a TP 5s 3300 45c lipo. Will post some pics soon.
Thanks for the information. I'll be interested in what else you have to add.
TX79 is offline Find More Posts by TX79
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
I crashed my Habu 1 today trying one too many touch and goes. Even though the timer went off I had to try one more takeoff and landing unfortunately the battery (old and puffy) decided to dump on the final turn in for the approach. The plane crashed, snapped off the nose and one side of the wing. I have white HABU 2 bare airframe that may get pressed into service sooner than later. I also have a spare gray fuselage NIB. Decisions, decisions.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram