HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:35 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,036 Posts
Question
NEWBIE getting into FPV, what do I need?

Hi everyone! I have been watching videos on fpv and am now very interested in getting my own set. My question is what do i need? If someone can list out everything i need that would be greatfull!!!! I am looking for something not cheap but not covered in Gold either. Thanks in adavce to you guys! Looking forward to getting the feedback!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:04 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,023 Posts
I don't have a direct list of components to order for you (although if you buy, I suggest buying from Readymaderc.com. He only carries high quality stuff).

Look at this thread also. EXTREMELY helpful. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
NEWBIE getting into FPV, what do I need?
You 'need' to read these threads

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567954

then make some decisions based on the info gathered, then come back with some more specific questions.

It would also help if you give us some info on what platforms you have experience with and where you fly.

Sorry if that seems rude but your question is far too broad as everyones needs / expectations / desires / circumstances are different and what suits one person perfectly may not suit another at all.

Good luck.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,036 Posts
my flying experience is 3D I can fly any 3D manuver. I can basically fly anything! =) But thanks for the info guys!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:13 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,023 Posts
If you can fly 3D, you'll be a jump ahead of others just getting into FPV. I strongly suggest you go with a simple setup at first. NO OSD, RTH, antenna tracker, pan tilt, LRS (Long Range System). You don't need any of that to have a blast FPV'ing around. I didn't buy my first OSD until I had FPV'ed (that just sounds weird,heh) for almost 4 years.

I like a 500mW 1.2 system from Readymaderc.com, Blue Beam circular polarized antenna set for the 1.2 system, the SC2000 PZ0420 camera and a small, cheap LCD screen off of Ebay or better yet, the new 7inch high brightness screen for sale from FoxtechFPV.com. That is all you need. And you will have a BLAST with that setup!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:14 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Cool, i'm sure you'll be able to handle FPV just fine then.

As i said, read up (get used to reading as you'll be doing alot of it to start with) and come back when you have a grasp on which way you want to go.

The one biggest piece of advice i would give is "keep it simple" to start with. A basic stable flying plane, camera, video transmitter, video reciever and display is all you need to have heaps of fun.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
If you can fly 3D, you'll be a jump ahead of others just getting into FPV. I strongly suggest you go with a simple setup at first. NO OSD, RTH, antenna tracker, pan tilt, LRS (Long Range System). You don't need any of that to have a blast FPV'ing around. I didn't buy my first OSD until I had FPV'ed (that just sounds weird,heh) for almost 4 years.
haha, jinx
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,036 Posts
Awesome!!! Im just looking for something to fly from the house and fly over a local golf course and just cruze around! What type of plane should i look into getting?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Personally i think powered gliders (Sky surfer, Bixler, AXN etc) are the most versatile platforms for FPV and they are nice and stable but can be powered up to fly fast also.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
God is Good
Joined Jan 2011
1,036 Posts
Can i use my dx8 on it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,408 Posts
I recommend not using 2.4GHz for control. Problems with Spektrum and FPV are very well documented here.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member