Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Discussion
5.8 GHz SpiroNET Antenna Set (RHCP)

Found these @ ReadyMadeRC . Anyone try these yet? I couldn't find a thread here about them. Thoughts? I like that they offer SOME protection and I am considering trying them.
--------------------------------------

5.8 GHz SpiroNET Antenna Set (RHCP)
Retail Price: $39.99

New SpiroNET 5.8GHz circular polarized antenna from ImmersionRC and FatShark.

Set includes Skew and Clover.

Right-hand circular polarization.

Unique design, not seen before in the FPV world. Far from the run of the mill 'basement production' seen to date.
Precision manufactured with very tight tolerances and 100% tested on a professional antenna tester (Rhode & Schwartz) to ensure maximum range and performance.
Antenna uses a high quality semi-rigid cable, that can be bent to any angle and maintain its shape in any orientation.
Extra long cable on the Skew antenna to clear your head (which blocks 5.8GHz emissions) for goggle installation.

The custom radome is RF-transparent, and protects the antenna from the occasional crash, or that oops moment when flying.
SMA connector compatible with all FatShark/ImmersionRC 5.8GHz products sold to date.
Right-hand circular polarization
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
They're the same as the Blubeams, actually. Nothing new. Just in an enclosure.

You will see something new at their store in about a month. Those on FPVLAB have had a first row seat in the development.

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Thanks Alex, not sure if I could have asked for a better first answer!

Care to share info about the new item or shall I head to the google?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
401 Posts
I regularly fly out 2km with just a headset and 600mW TX with our CP antenna and don't get any breakup.
The average user will be very satisfied with the performance of these antenna and can be assured when they purchase that they are getting a tested antenna with low VSWR that will deliver great performance.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Thanks Alex, not sure if I could have asked for a better first answer!

Care to share info about the new item or shall I head to the google?
I'll announce it when the time is right. besides, Fat Shark and Immersion are copying me now. I need to do the best I can to make sure I have something better When the time comes, you'll know.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
very nice, practical and fair price.
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Here hold my beer. Watch this!
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
426 Posts
Reakon you can get into the enclosure for any repairs necessary?
I have found with the bluebeam type CP's is that long term high frequency vibrations can snap the centre conducter inside the coaxial dialectric right at the solder joint. You need to use hot glue or some other potting compound to dampen the vibrations.
Some antennas that are purchased from suppliers are already potted, some aren't.
Lets hope the soldering inside the enclosure is suitably potted.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike View Post
Reakon you can get into the enclosure for any repairs necessary?
I have found with the bluebeam type CP's is that long term high frequency vibrations can snap the centre conducter inside the coaxial dialectric right at the solder joint. You need to use hot glue or some other potting compound to dampen the vibrations.
Some antennas that are purchased from suppliers are already potted, some aren't.
Lets hope the soldering inside the enclosure is suitably potted.
Easy to get into the radome, they are constructed from a two-piece 5G8-transparent plastic which with a squeeze in the appropriate place popps the top off.
In almost 1 year of development and testing with these we have never had the center conductor snap, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Initially we were concerned with the ability for the semi-rigid coax to handle being bent multiple times, but this has proven to be very robust, even during several minutes of intentional abuse they hold together nicely.
ImmersionRC is offline Find More Posts by ImmersionRC
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, PA
Joined May 2011
47 Posts
Where can I find the technical specs on this antenna? RMRC is selling them without mention of any specs at all.
MoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MoFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
home of the best antennas
United States, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmersionRC View Post
Easy to get into the radome, they are constructed from a two-piece 5G8-transparent plastic which with a squeeze in the appropriate place popps the top off.
In almost 1 year of development and testing with these we have never had the center conductor snap, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Initially we were concerned with the ability for the semi-rigid coax to handle being bent multiple times, but this has proven to be very robust, even during several minutes of intentional abuse they hold together nicely.
What about VSWR changes while bending the coax?

I use RG405 for fatshark mounted helicals, and VSWR does change when bent in different directions.
KondorFPV is offline Find More Posts by KondorFPV
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Mar 2009
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KondorFPV View Post
What about VSWR changes while bending the coax?

I use RG405 for fatshark mounted helicals, and VSWR does change when bent in different directions.
VSWR will change, but not by anything significant at all. Its easy to get concerned about a 0.1 change in VSWR, but the effect on range is really insignificant.
When hooked up to a network analyzer the effect on VSWR of the relative positioning of the antenna element to the ground plane generated by the analyzer seems to have more effect than the mechanical changes in the semi-rigid cable itself.
ImmersionRC is offline Find More Posts by ImmersionRC
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Spironet + fatshark dominator

@ ImmersionRC Do you need an extra SMA 90 Angle connector (Male/female) to use this antenna on a fatshark dominator with the 5,8Ghz RX module?
Highflydotbe is offline Find More Posts by Highflydotbe
Last edited by Highflydotbe; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
home of the best antennas
United States, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Nov 2011
851 Posts
Quote:
VSWR will change, but not by anything significant at all. Its easy to get concerned about a 0.1 change in VSWR, but the effect on range is really insignificant.
When hooked up to a network analyzer the effect on VSWR of the relative positioning of the antenna element to the ground plane generated by the analyzer seems to have more effect than the mechanical changes in the semi-rigid cable itself.
I am actually measuring 0.2-0.3 VSWR changes (and still the effect on range is rather minimal), but like you said it may well be the vicinity of the analyzer.

I would still not bend the semi-rigid coax more than 15-20 times (that's what I am telling people who get the rg405 option), the outer shield gets brittle and impedance characteristics could change in the long run, but I can't confirm that.

It's definitely not made to be constantly bent. I like your radome! nice design!
KondorFPV is offline Find More Posts by KondorFPV
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
That's an understatement. Heck, 3:1 is still 80% efficient. 1.5:1 is 96%.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
....dahumm Alex,
they copied you?.....

thats' not fair bud:-(
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV