HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Discussion
How do you mount your battery and receiver in a DLG?

Just wondering how others mount their stuff in their DLGs.

Is Velco the standard?

Do others still pack in foam?

just wondering.....

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,586 Posts
Frank:

Foam for me, unless the wiring keeps things from rattling.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager(ret)
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,055 Posts
Friction...
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
730 Posts
um...... Open the hatch, put it in, close hatch, fly.
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
The hatch and the servos keep them from sliding around. Maybe a little foam. But Velcro is a good idea if you have room. Especially if your hatch isn't entirely secure!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Sorry guys but I am bored at work and these are the things that pop into my head to pass the time.....
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
I tape them in but I have also used a dab of hot glue. Now down at The Bruce this year some hot glue I used melted in the sun. Never had that happen before bu then I've never flown in that kind of heat before either. Gerald told me that there is some high temp hot glue out there that might be a good choice. I just used a dab of Goop instead. I don't like my battery rattling around in my plane. Goop or hot glue will allow you to peel the batter free and generally peel out the glue for a new installation. Velcro works good too as long as you can get the sticky tape side to hold. Sometimes that's the weak point.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:31 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
I use velcro. I clean the inside of the fuse, the battery, and the receiver with a bit of isopropanol before sticking on the velcro.
Maybe it's obvious but I've found that turning the plane upside down, or whichever way the velcro in the fuse is "up", before sliding the battery into the nose helps get it good and far forward. Popsicle sticks or similar work well at separating the velcro when the battery needs to come out.
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I've done the same with a piece of leftover 1/32" ply to get batteries or the receiver out off the Velcro.

Sometimes it is these little tricks and tips that come out that help everyone in the long run with threads like this.

I have found myself doing the same thing have done in the past only to find out there are better ways to do things now and I have only been involved with DLGs for the last 6 or 7 years.

thanks

Frank
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
One of the things that I've found is that if I'm having trouble getting a piece of velcro to stick... I coat the site with a thin layer of thin CA. This tends to seal the surface and the glue side of the velcro holds better.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
I've always just shoved my battery as far forward as possible and let friction hold it in place. The only exception is my B2. Because the battery sits in a hole in the tray it'll fall out if I try that, so I wrapped that section in clear tape.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,092 Posts
I cram the receiver and battery in the nose and use a chunk of foam to hold it in the nose. With the lipo battery I have to pull the foam and pull the battery and receiver towards the canopy to connect the 2 wire leads to the battery.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen