HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Please advise on kite string

Hello.
I recently purchased a new kite, but need some string for it.
It's the most basic, pure kite, and is really just a triangle with a few spars in it.
The bottom edge is approximately 2m long and it's about one meter tall. Aside from that it has a little bit (200g - 300g) of lights and batteries on it.
I expect to need about 1000m of string, but I don't know what kind to buy and where to buy it.
Please keep suggestions as low-cost as necessary, but solid.

Also it's the kind where you just stuff in two halves of a spar into those little pockets and then put them together, but I'm always afraid of tearing the kite or breaking the rod when I'm putting it in. Tips/suggestions? I believe the rods are fiberglass but I am not sure. The material I think is some sort of nylon.

Thanks
hellokittyhk is offline Find More Posts by hellokittyhk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
I'd like to get this done before summer is over...
hellokittyhk is offline Find More Posts by hellokittyhk
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Im using a braded fishing line like Spider wire 25 pound test on a 2 string stunt kite . (That ='s 50 pound total pull ) of about the same size . works good and cheap . Kites are tuff , dont worry about getting the spars in .
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,437 Posts
I know this is months later, but the string generally used in kites is called "Spectra". Fishing line has too much stretch. And when flying a 2 or 4 string kite, you want as little stretch as possible to increase control.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
I know this is months later, but the string generally used in kites is called "Spectra". Fishing line has too much stretch. And when flying a 2 or 4 string kite, you want as little stretch as possible to increase control.
In the US it's called spectra in Europe it's called dyneema. Same thing though. It's used because of it's high strength and low friction (you can wrap the lines a dozen times and still be able to control the kite) You have to prestretch it before use otherwise the lines stretch out over time and your lines end up being different lengths. Even if it says that it's prestretched I found that I still needed to stretch it. There is also a polyester/spectra blend that's cheaper but I'd recommend just getting the spectra.

If you cross spectra lines with dacron kite line (usually used on single line kites) the dacron will cut the spectra like a knife. Spectra has a very low melting point and friction between it and anything else will cut it very easily. It's fine when crossed with itself because of it's low friction (which happens a lot when you loop the kite and the lines wrap each other multiple times)

Before I got into RC I was into quadline sport kites. Haven't flown them in years though.

Spectra Sport Solution, one of my favorites. Made back in the early 90's and wasn't very popular so they only did one short production run. (kite in picture isn't mine but I have several just like it in the back of a closet)

Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:36 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,437 Posts
I too did a LOT of flying in the early and mid 90's. I still have a 6ft 'Hawaiian' and also a 6ft parafoil.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
I have a stack of 6 Solutions, a Revolution EXP, a Revolution Shockwave, an Alpha+ and a Jeager. The shockwave needs a new center spar and the Alpha needs a new nose assembly. I got the solutions cheap around 1999 when Gone With The Wind Kites got a bunch of them in that had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for years and sold them for $50 each (they originally retailed for $250)

And wow the Alpha+ is still being made.

EDIT: And wow when did Prism's kites come so far down in price? Prices are way down on stunt kites. (well except for Revs, those are as expensive as ever)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM.