HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
I have feedback from someone I know, who has been using the latest FW and the laptop GCS connected directly to the Data Link and he is extremely happy with the system. Now he is an extremely competent pilot and has used numerous other expensive systems and he tells me that this is the best ever. I know other users who are also over the moon with the system. Have you noticed their absence from this forum.

I personally have a small problem with the latest GCS for my Android and also the GCS not talking to the wifi system, however, I am sure that this will be fixed soon. I have told them about it.

@Mr Westie. Please could you summarise the bugs, as you said you would, just as a recap, and have you sent them to Zero UAV yet.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Right, so when you need the system to work, emergency RTH it fails and you have to rely on something else.
This is all conjecture based on someone saying what he heard someone say. Has this happened to anyone yet?

Quote:
If it didn't work so well when it does I would have droped this system by now.
The open source systems are catching up fast.
They may be catching up fast, and their documentation is the best, but, I doubt of they will ever get there....because they have been talking about this for years now....saying it is just around the corner.

Quote:
* In Auto-waypoints flight mode, height, hovering time and flying speed of each waypoint can be independent
setup. .
This works extremely well.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I don't think this is a valid test as the system senses that it is on the ground and automatically turns the motors off. From what I remember this was discussed somewhere early in May this year.
It may not be a valid test but zero's tech people has confirmed about the issue or rather the feature. A simple auto land feature would be a better solution. Having said that, I've never had a problem with RTH so yeah this may all be hypothetical but IMO auto land would be a better solution.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Last edited by fajar; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
@Mr Westie. Please could you summarise the bugs, as you said you would, just as a recap, and have you sent them to Zero UAV yet.

Rob
First posts of that thread updated.
Sent email to support asking them to visit and comment.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
I have feedback from someone I know, who has been using the latest FW and the laptop GCS connected directly to the Data Link and he is extremely happy with the system. Now he is an extremely competent pilot and has used numerous other expensive systems and he tells me that this is the best ever. I know other users who are also over the moon with the system. Have you noticed their absence from this forum.

I personally have a small problem with the latest GCS for my Android and also the GCS not talking to the wifi system, however, I am sure that this will be fixed soon. I have told them about it.

Rob
I've been absent from this forum for a while but its not because I'm over the moon about my YS-X6, rather the opposite mine is safely tucked away in the box it came in over next to the workbench. After it flipped my Cinestar 6 on takeoff a while back, damaging the Photohigher AV130 in the process I retired mine until I can be assured that it's going to work at least as good as the Wookong-M it was to replace. From what I'm reading about some of these bugs people are finding it looks like that box is going to have a thick layer of dust on it before the controller sees daylight again, that is if I don't sell it first.

The Cinestar is back to flying with the Wookong-M that was on it from day 1 and the Droidworx AD6 that I was thinking of putting the YS on has gone back to Mk electronics, both hex are flying solid and reliably and that's OK with me.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
I'm trying to put the latest version of th firmware on my fc and when try to load the curren version into the upgrade tool it see the file in the browser, but when I click on it it never loads into the upgrade tool. There are also a couple of strange charecters in the file that I don't know what the are, can I remove them or should they be changed to something
richkphoto is online now Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I've been absent from this forum for a while but its not because I'm over the moon about my YS-X6, rather the opposite mine is safely tucked away in the box it came in over next to the workbench. After it flipped my Cinestar 6 on takeoff a while back, damaging the Photohigher AV130 in the process I retired mine until I can be assured that it's going to work at least as good as the Wookong-M it was to replace. From what I'm reading about some of these bugs people are finding it looks like that box is going to have a thick layer of dust on it before the controller sees daylight again, that is if I don't sell it first.

The Cinestar is back to flying with the Wookong-M that was on it from day 1 and the Droidworx AD6 that I was thinking of putting the YS on has gone back to Mk electronics, both hex are flying solid and reliably and that's OK with me.
Sad to hear RTryder,
I've had a small anomaly like a few which may be similar to yours 'flipping'.
I get some strange slow response to the TX, so I take off in manual 1, and when nearly in the air (no weight on the ground but still on the ground, I test the elevator, yaw and aileron function, and if slow, I power off throttle, wait 10 seconds, re-arm and take off again. This fixes my issue.

I'm about to decomposition my coaxial frame in favor of a new hexa, similar to your frame. (XM-6 arrives Monday). I'm setting it as an X hexa, not a + but can share my findings if you like. I also have the AV130.
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
I had exactly the same problem only 30 minutes ago! Start by removing those characters within the file name itself. Close down the upgrade software, reopen it, and try again. It should work fine this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
I'm trying to put the latest version of th firmware on my fc and when try to load the curren version into the upgrade tool it see the file in the browser, but when I click on it it never loads into the upgrade tool. There are also a couple of strange charecters in the file that I don't know what the are, can I remove them or should they be changed to something
jdreitman is offline Find More Posts by jdreitman
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Thanx I give that a shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman View Post
I had exactly the same problem only 30 minutes ago! Start by removing those characters within the file name itself. Close down the upgrade software, reopen it, and try again. It should work fine this time.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
That did the trick.
AS to the Wifi not working My modle carrier pushed and upgrade through to my phone and it changed the IP of my hot spot, I changed that and every thing is fine
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
It may not be a valid test but zero's tech people has confirmed about the issue or rather the feature. A simple auto land feature would be a better solution. Having said that, I've never had a problem with RTH so yeah this may all be hypothetical but IMO auto land would be a better solution.
Hi Fajar.....As long as we agree that switching to RTH while it is on the ground is not a valid test, as it will switch of the motors automatically, because when it has landed, that is what it does.

As for what ZeroUAV said. I posed the question to their support and, I have it on email that the only time motors will shut off on the return is if the angle is too high or the shake value is too high. "i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
if your aircraft Tilt angle is big than 60 Degree for one second , the ap will be shut the motors .
why the aircraft tilt for this too much defree ?
you need check the value of Vibration and shaking data
"

What I really cannot understand, is that people make these comments without any proof. Hearsay is not good enough.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post

You should give it another go. Take off in Manual 1 or Full GPS mode and you wont have a problem. I cannot take off in Manual 2.

If you have a look at the list of "bugs" at least one of them is hearsay and actually no proof, and I personally have had a look at some of the data files and IMO a lot of the other "bugs" are caused by vibration and bad installation.

I will list all the bugs here and go through them one by one

b1. *Bad RX input will cause motors to cut off. (Installation problem. But where is the proof and anyway, I am sure that it reverts to control by the GCS of the Android tablet or PC)
b2. *Bad sensor data will cause motors to cut off. (Proof. I have seen data files where the GPS data exceeded the acceptable speed, caused the LED to shine white, which means land immediately or switch to manual mode...which was ignored)
b3. May not be able to re-enable radio via GCS (Proof required. Anyway, the Manual says that you should not disable the radio if you don't know what you are doing)
b4. *Motors cut off if RTH enabled and sats less than 7. (Hearsay. Not happened to anyone)
b5. Using Bluestacks on the PC, you cannot set a FLYToPP on it. (Not a bug. It is a software compatibility problem and they have never designed it to be used with bluestacks)

And that is the full extent of the bugs.

Rob
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:20 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
b1. *Bad RX input will cause motors to cut off. (Installation problem. But where is the proof and anyway, I am sure that it reverts to control by the GCS of the Android tablet or PC)
b2. *Bad sensor data will cause motors to cut off. (Proof. I have seen data files where the GPS data exceeded the acceptable speed, caused the LED to shine white, which means land immediately or switch to manual mode...which was ignored)
b3. May not be able to re-enable radio via GCS (Proof required. Anyway, the Manual says that you should not disable the radio if you don't know what you are doing)
b4. *Motors cut off if RTH enabled and sats less than 7. (Hearsay. Not happened to anyone)
b5. Using Bluestacks on the PC, you cannot set a FLYToPP on it. (Not a bug. It is a software compatibility problem and they have never designed it to be used with bluestacks)

Rob
I did supply evidence in the other thread.
But will post them here again.
I can supply the log files as well if anyone wants a look.
And skype chat logs with support.

b1.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post22745328
It does not switch to auto hover or gcs control.

b2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post22863249
If there was a warning in the GCS them maybe you would have a chance to take heed and land.
In daylight 30m+ away, the chances of seeing the led is slim.
When I fly keep my eye on the craft, not the GCS.
On playback there is no system warning in the PC GCS of any problems.
The warning signs were once I know what to look for.

b3.
I will make a video when I get my unit back.
Sometime auto take off will not work without disabling the radio.

I wish I was making this up but I am not.
Install/build issues, yes my problem. Part of the learning process.
Known bugs I can work around.
Unknown bugs are a pain.

b4/5
I will take those off until I can get video proof of them.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:48 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
You should give it another go. Take off in Manual 1 or Full GPS mode and you wont have a problem. I cannot take off in Manual 2.

If you have a look at the list of "bugs" at least one of them is hearsay and actually no proof, and I personally have had a look at some of the data files and IMO a lot of the other "bugs" are caused by vibration and bad installation.

I will list all the bugs here and go through them one by one

Rob
Totally agree with you Rob. I think this b4 shouldn't even be talked as a bug until it's proved to be true. (i think zero should still take it seriously as a suggestion to test it before it happens to someone if it appears to be true though).

Only bummer i've had with YS is really a takeoff in man1 when it is very easy to flip, but in GPS mode takeoff works like dream for me. At least have been working now maybe over 300 takeoffs in all kind of conditions.

I'm still impressed with YS as a system compared to wookong in my Cinestar 6, which last 5-6 updates has been buggy updates each and every one. I had to downgrade my wookong to old 5.02 fw to keep it safe and still had lots of white flash issues in wind. To not even talk about how much better YS flies in wind and with big props and heavy systems. Now i'm building new 120cm coaxial octo with CineStar 360 mount for bigger cameras and i'm quite sure i will end up using YS with that too.

Kari
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:17 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Hi Fajar.....As long as we agree that switching to RTH while it is on the ground is not a valid test, as it will switch of the motors automatically, because when it has landed, that is what it does.

As for what ZeroUAV said. I posed the question to their support and, I have it on email that the only time motors will shut off on the return is if the angle is too high or the shake value is too high. "i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
if your aircraft Tilt angle is big than 60 Degree for one second , the ap will be shut the motors .
"

What I really cannot understand, is that people make these comments without any proof. Hearsay is not good enough.
I asked Peter of Zerouav about the motor shut off when gps is less than 6 sats and he confirmed about that "feature". It has never been an issue to me as all my RTH has been a successful one but it would be more convenient to replace motor shut off with auto land in that kind of situation.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
Hey guys,

As some of you probably remember, I had some problems a few weeks ago with my hexa flying the YS-X6 FC. I spoke with Zero support, and they suggested upgrading the firmware would solve the problem... Well, it hasn't.

With the firmware upgraded, I'm still have this random twitching problem. As you can see in the two video below, I'm flying in full GPS hold mode with both hands off the Tx. You'll notice this random twitch happening. I tried it in GPS, alt hold, and manual mode and all 3 modes exhibited the same problem. I also calibrated the compass on-site, and still not luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ys-x6 twitching problem (0 min 29 sec)

Ys-x6 twitching problem (0 min 29 sec)

Thanks,

J
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:12 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

As some of you probably remember, I had some problems a few weeks ago with my hexa flying the YS-X6 FC. I spoke with Zero support, and they suggested upgrading the firmware would solve the problem... Well, it hasn't.

With the firmware upgraded, I'm still have this random twitching problem. As you can see in the two video below, I'm flying in full GPS hold mode with both hands off the Tx. You'll notice this random twitch happening. I tried it in GPS, alt hold, and manual mode and all 3 modes exhibited the same problem. I also calibrated the compass on-site, and still not luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGT64ftZJ0A

Thanks,

J
What esc:s, esc settings, timing and motors you're using?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:05 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

[
can you get a close up picture of your setup? List of problems can range from ESC settings, channel calibration to interference.

btw jdreitman, I'll send you a pm.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
I asked Peter of Zerouav about the motor shut off when gps is less than 6 sats and he confirmed about that "feature". It has never been an issue to me as all my RTH has been a successful one but it would be more convenient to replace motor shut off with auto land in that kind of situation.
Funny...I spoke to Peter too and those were his comments.

Just for interest. Someone I know tried it yesterday. Spoke to him this morning about this and he said he used 5 satellites and RTH, and it returned to exactly where it took off from. Not sure I would have done that, but he was prepared to take over in manual and he is an expert pilot.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Funny...I spoke to Peter too and those were his comments.

Just for interest. Someone I know tried it yesterday. Spoke to him this morning about this and he said he used 5 satellites and RTH, and it returned to exactly where it took off from. Not sure I would have done that, but he was prepared to take over in manual and he is an expert pilot.
thats because he got enough sat locks to engage RTH and it didnt drop to <6 sats. I've never experiencing sat lock drops to below 6 but it would be nice if they change the protocol to auto land, just to add an extra layer of convenience and security.

Sometimes I had a bit of trouble understanding peter because of language barrier but my question to him about this issue was simple enough and he answered it, or rather provided explanation to me, plain and simple. I asked him, why does the motors shut off when I engage RTH? He was informed of my test condition and he's the one who gave explanation to me that motors will shut off if RTH is engaged when there's not enough sat locks.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Had a look at maximus-rc 's crash logs

max1 (0 min 11 sec)

Some strange stuff happening.
0:05 Throttle rises from 51 to 88.
Liftoff nose up. AI R4, U28
A few moments later, Manual servo position, goes bananas.
Throttle alternating between low and max, way too fast for manual stick movement.
FLIP

It looks like RX glitched.
Or YS failed to read the servo positions.
Have advised user to try a different RX.

max2 (0 min 16 sec)

0:03 some shake at liftoff. Max 26 across 3 samples.
Liftoff nose up.
Full forward applied as craft is now backing toward pilot.
0:06 Craft now starts leaning forward.
Over corrected?
Throttle dropped, possibly same glitch as before.
But since in Auto hover, it starts descending.
Makes ground contact, flip.

At some point in both videos the values for Servo position dissapera for 1 sample.
Video1, 0:07, Manual servo position, Aileron, R40 - Blank - R39

A video of these flights would be handy.

A second opinion would be appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
Thanks guys... Appreciate your help again.

I don't have a closeup of my setup at the moment, but it's all pretty standard stuff.

I'm flying a DJI F550 frame, with the stock DJI motors and ESCs. I think from memory, they are 30amp ESCs. The gimbal is normally powered by a separate BEC but at the moment it's completely disconnected and has been for a few weeks now. I'm running 4C 5000 mah batteries. My transmitter is a Hitec Aurora and I'm using the Hitec 9ch Optima receiver.

The twitching problem I have has only come about in the last month or so. The only thing that's changed on the copter is that I went from a 7ch receiver, to a new 9ch receiver. Is it possible the receiver is defective? It's a genuine Hitec receiver, but I did in fact pick it up "new" on Ebay.

Quote:
can you get a close up picture of your setup? List of problems can range from ESC settings, channel calibration to interference.

btw jdreitman, I'll send you a pm.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:53 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys... Appreciate your help again.

I don't have a closeup of my setup at the moment, but it's all pretty standard stuff.

I'm flying a DJI F550 frame, with the stock DJI motors and ESCs. I think from memory, they are 30amp ESCs. The gimbal is normally powered by a separate BEC but at the moment it's completely disconnected and has been for a few weeks now. I'm running 4C 5000 mah batteries. My transmitter is a Hitec Aurora and I'm using the Hitec 9ch Optima receiver.

The twitching problem I have has only come about in the last month or so. The only thing that's changed on the copter is that I went from a 7ch receiver, to a new 9ch receiver. Is it possible the receiver is defective? It's a genuine Hitec receiver, but I did in fact pick it up "new" on Ebay.
it may be worth doing the channel calibration again and check against the value in the GCS. Also, move your rx, data radio or wifi module as far away from the imu as possible.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
thats because he got enough sat locks to engage RTH and it didnt drop to <6 sats. I've never experiencing sat lock drops to below 6 but it would be nice if they change the protocol to auto land, just to add an extra layer of convenience and security.

Sometimes I had a bit of trouble understanding peter because of language barrier but my question to him about this issue was simple enough and he answered it, or rather provided explanation to me, plain and simple. I asked him, why does the motors shut off when I engage RTH? He was informed of my test condition and he's the one who gave explanation to me that motors will shut off if RTH is engaged when there's not enough sat locks.
And I posed this question to him:
"It has been reported on one of the forums that if you flick Backlanding switch on the Tx when there isnít at least 7 sat locks, the motors will shut off. Is this correct?"

And the answer:
"if the gps work on the ground is normal , there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing .
i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
"

So, basically he is saying that you cannot do a backlanding if you have less than 5 satellites and if you have less you need to switch to Manual mode.
He is also saying that the only time the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second, which I see as a safety feature anyway. Can you imagine a hexa coming at you at speed with motors on full throttle. I prefer the motors to cut out.

Rob
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
it may be worth doing the channel calibration again and check against the value in the GCS. Also, move your rx, data radio or wifi module as far away from the imu as possible.
I agree. Everything I have than could possibly cause interference is located as far as the cable will stretch.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:07 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
"It has been reported on one of the forums that if you flick Backlanding switch on the Tx when there isnít at least 7 sat locks, the motors will shut off. Is this correct?"

And the answer:
"if the gps work on the ground is normal , there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing .
i want to tell you why about the motor is shut when the aircraft in the back landing .
"

So, basically he is saying that you cannot do a backlanding if you have less than 5 satellites and if you have less you need to switch to Manual mode.
He is also saying that the only time the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second, which I see as a safety feature anyway. Can you imagine a hexa coming at you at speed with motors on full throttle. I prefer the motors to cut out.

Rob
thanks for the quotes. I spoke to him over QQ so can't give you the exact quote, I dont know how to bring back past conversations over QQ. But lets look at what he said to you:

" there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing ."

Now my interpretation on the above passage is different from yours. He didnt say that the system would override RTH instruction if the sats were less than 5. He said "you need switch to manual to back landing". Surely the copter couldnt engage in automatic back landing when flying in manual mode. He means to say, if sat locks is below 5, just fly it back in manual mode. The original quote did not deny nor confirm about motors shutting off when engaging in RTH with sat locks less than 5.

But he did say to me that motors would shut off if I engage RTH with not enough sat locks. You surely got a point there that without adequate sat locks RTH should be disregarded by the system but surely not by shutting off motors. I would prefer the copter to engage in auto land, just like the original DJI Naza's low voltage failsafe.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:59 AM
aok
Joined Dec 2011
43 Posts
Hello again..®

I really have problem with setting up this #§%/ ...The motors will not start. All the sticks go in right direction.. (i think)
aok is offline Find More Posts by aok
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the quotes. I spoke to him over QQ so can't give you the exact quote, I dont know how to bring back past conversations over QQ. But lets look at what he said to you:

" there will be have big than 5 sats when the AP start to work .
if the gps singal is not well , and the sats is less than 5 , you need switch to manual to back landing ."

Now my interpretation on the above passage is different from yours. He didnt say that the system would override RTH instruction if the sats were less than 5. He said "you need switch to manual to back landing". Surely the copter couldnt engage in automatic back landing when flying in manual mode. He means to say, if sat locks is below 5, just fly it back in manual mode. The original quote did not deny nor confirm about motors shutting off when engaging in RTH with sat locks less than 5.

But he did say to me that motors would shut off if I engage RTH with not enough sat locks. You surely got a point there that without adequate sat locks RTH should be disregarded by the system but surely not by shutting off motors. I would prefer the copter to engage in auto land, just like the original DJI Naza's low voltage failsafe.
LOL ... Yes there is no RTH in Manual mode. So, yes if there is less than 5 satellites, the only way to get back is in Manual mode. That is what he said and that is what I said. maybe not spelled out in so many words, but it is obvious.

However, I asked him if switching to RTH when there was less than 7 satellites would switch the motors off and he said that the only way the motors are going to shut down is if your angle is too high. Why don't you ask him again and see if he confirms what he said in his previous conversation, and post it here. At least then we can compare "answers".
Last edited by robone; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: More clarification
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Mag Cal

Can anyone tell me if the blue calibration is good enough ( the z axis is so hard to get right)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the blue calibration is good enough ( the z axis is so hard to get right)
I would do it again....if it was me. The 1st time I must have done it a good number of times, I was getting quite dizzy, but eventually, you get it quite circular. The red one looks good, and they do not have to be on top of each other.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Thanx. The red one is easy, I found a used sit and spin (it's a kids toy), so I just set it on there it it comes out perfect every time, but the vertical axis is a paint to try and hold straight and add in 16mph wind gusts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Hi all,

I quote:

"the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second"

Don't believe it!

I had a strange thing happen to my hexa on 2 occasions and it flipped completely upside down, went FULL throttle for OVER 1sec and the motors did NOT shut off. Instead they cut holes in the dirt and mangled the props before I could get it shut down.

So for me they never shut off until I killed them. So beware.

Cheers!

Quote:

And the answer:
"

Rob
ovnilab is offline Find More Posts by ovnilab
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Getting flight data off iPad?

Hello,.

Anyone know where the flight data file is on the ipad?

It is NOT where Zero says it is in the Apple GCS documentation. I know I have spent an hour trying to find it with no luck.

Thansk,
Lo

Quote:
Had a look at maximus-rc 's crash logs

http://youtu.be/v8_2yK5UGSc
Some strange stuff happening.
0:05 Throttle rises from 51 to 88.
Liftoff nose up. AI R4, U28
A few moments later, Manual servo position, goes bananas.
Throttle alternating between low and max, way too fast for manual stick movement.
FLIP

It looks like RX glitched.
Or YS failed to read the servo positions.
Have advised user to try a different RX.

http://youtu.be/6jp8-jDcNEg
0:03 some shake at liftoff. Max 26 across 3 samples.
Liftoff nose up.
Full forward applied as craft is now backing toward pilot.
0:06 Craft now starts leaning forward.
Over corrected?
Throttle dropped, possibly same glitch as before.
But since in Auto hover, it starts descending.
Makes ground contact, flip.

At some point in both videos the values for Servo position dissapera for 1 sample.
Video1, 0:07, Manual servo position, Aileron, R40 - Blank - R39

A video of these flights would be handy.

A second opinion would be appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
539 Posts
Were yo in manual mode 1 or 2 or GPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnilab View Post
Hi all,

I quote:

"the motors will cut out is when you have an angle of greater than 60deg for one second"

Don't believe it!

I had a strange thing happen to my hexa on 2 occasions and it flipped completely upside down, went FULL throttle for OVER 1sec and the motors did NOT shut off. Instead they cut holes in the dirt and mangled the props before I could get it shut down.

So for me they never shut off until I killed them. So beware.

Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
599 Posts
Quote:
I'd do it again, but I've flown accurately with worse. Let's face it, 9/10 issues in these forums are from inaccurate setups.
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
ESC Settings

For all those new to Multirotors, or those not so new, please check your program that you have set on your ESC's I have found quite a few people doing the settings incorrectly which sometimes results in odd behavious with any multirotor. And please use a program card as that way, you know you have the correct settings and not having to rely on interpreting beeps.

This is the recommended settings for most standard 400Hz ESC's

Recommended ESC settings for Multirotors
Brake: Off
Battery Type: Ni-xx
Cut Off Type: Soft-Cut
Cut Off Voltage: Low
Start Mode: Normal
Timing Mode: Middle
Music/Li-Po Cells:All Off
Governor mode: Off

- The brake settings should be OFF. Using the brake on a multirotor may briefly stop the motor and cause the flight controller to overcompensate, resulting in an unstable platform.
- The battery type is set to Ni-xx in order to prevent your ESC from shutting down the power to the motor. It's safer to drain the battery even more and land your Multirotor. Note that draining your LIPO battery too much will damage it, however, losing a Multirotor will cost more.

Rob
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Hi,

I always take off in GPS Auto hover BUT what I did which I will never do again was
switch GCS devices while the craft was powered up!

I was controlling it from the ipad and decided (while the craft was powered) that i'd switch to my iphone. The second I did that, the motors went full throt and it immediately flipped over on its props and started cutting out circles.

Of course I went into manual mode as fast as I could and that killed the motors as the throt position was down.

Quote:
Were yo in manual mode 1 or 2 or GPS
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
RC Aircraft Noob Since 01-2012
Philippines, Davao Region, Davao City
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Do you have Noise filter magnets installed?

those clip on magnets solved my random power out issues - it would seem the IMU would spike from the RF Noise. I used 7 magnets:

IMU, GPS, VidTx, and 1 on each ESC signal cable (4)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

J
magetpr is offline Find More Posts by magetpr
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
RC Aircraft Noob Since 01-2012
Philippines, Davao Region, Davao City
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
The way I do it is I place my android phone on the model as I carry it and look at the attitude values - keep them at zero while you circle in place.
magetpr is offline Find More Posts by magetpr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:21 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magetpr View Post
The way I do it is I place my android phone on the model as I carry it and look at the attitude values - keep them at zero while you circle in place.
Actually phone on your plane might interfere with compass. Also to be safe car keys should be left further from pocket when doing calibration.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:26 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magetpr View Post
Do you have Noise filter magnets installed?

those clip on magnets solved my random power out issues - it would seem the IMU would spike from the RF Noise. I used 7 magnets:

IMU, GPS, VidTx, and 1 on each ESC signal cable (4)
Do you mean clip on ferrites? I think you should not need them, normally twisting cables (also motor cables) and placing modules far enough from interference sources does the trick. Ferrites are just extra weight and tape on fixing imo in this case.

Kari
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Well the ridiculousness of the whole circus never ceases with this system. I sold my iP-Had-Enough and bought the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 so I wouldn't have to bother "Jailbreaking" the stupid device and end up voiding its warranty.

Ok now everything is working perfectly on my Galaxy and got the copter all tuned up and ready to go. Worked out how to save maps off line so I can use it without internet because unlike Arducopter you cant use both.

Then mid this week Google Maps upgrade the software and now for Malaysia I can no longer cache the maps for off line use!!..I suspect this will now be the same now for China and other parts of Asia.

How ridiculous it that? Now I will have to find a way to hack this as well!!!??

Does anyone know how to work around this?
SkippyTBK is offline Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Dear Zerouav,

Are you aware that the new Google Maps update this week make it now impossible to cache maps for off line use for many countries in Asia? It will probably be the same for China I suspect. This means we cant have maps while using the YS-X6 on the GCS.

I would alternatively like to connect my Data link Module direct to my lap top if this is at all possible. Please advise if we can do this using the new USB cable? Then I can have internet as well as live connection to the YS-X6 for the GCS.

Please let me know if this is possible how this can be resolved.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK View Post
Does anyone know how to work around this?
Apparently Bluetooth support has been supported since July?
Unfortunately I do not have a compatible Android to test.
And my unit is away for repair.

If that's the case, connect the Datalink to a Full voltage RS232 Bluetooth adaptor and you should be good to go with data and internet.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Apparently Bluetooth support has been supported since July?
Unfortunately I do not have a compatible Android to test.
And my unit is away for repair.

If that's the case, connect the Datalink to a Full voltage RS232 Bluetooth adaptor and you should be good to go with data and internet.
That sounds interesting, thanks westie. Are there any instructions for this ?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Ok!! I fixed it for now by doing a full hard reset of the tablet. I now have Google Maps 6.81 back and it now saves the maps to cache. Just a waring for anyone not to update your Google maps unless you know for sure the new version will cache for off line use.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Ok!! I fixed it for now by doing a full hard reset of the tablet. I now have Google Maps 6.81 back and it now saves the maps to cache. Just a waring for anyone not to update your Google maps unless you know for sure the new version will cache for off line use.
Just to add another point. It might also be related to Google + so be careful accepting to join this. I recall this kept popping up to join it when using the map so I did to get rid of the annoying pop up. I cant recall if this was before or after the update. Just a cautionary note to watch out for.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:16 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
That sounds interesting, thanks westie. Are there any instructions for this ?
You know how we roll around here, by the seat of our pants
Will give it a shot when my one gets back.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
I know this is not "show your film"-thread but like to share something here too. This is all shot with my cinestar 6 ys-x6:
Made In Sky summer 2012 (4 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
What camera,gimbal and gimbal controller did you use
flying squirrelk is offline Find More Posts by flying squirrelk