SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
294 Posts
There is new X6 firmware 2012/11/28. What's changed?
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
Mozambique, Maputo City, Maputo
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Gimbal stabilization stopped working

Hi,
when I finished mounting my hexa with YS-X6 I played a little bit with roll and pitch stabilization to check its sensitivity, changed some parameter on the GCS and it was working. Then I didn't use it anymore because I was doing fly tests with many problems. Now when everything seems more or less under control I turned to stabilization and connected the pitch servo to the Ext2 port of FC and the C7 port of FC to the channel 7 of receiver.
With this configuration I had the pitch stabilization and through the channel 7 I was able to control manually the camera's pitch.
Now I don't get neither the stabilization nor the manual control. I checked the channel assignment on the radio to the correct knob, but it doesn't work.
What am I missing? Is there some parameter on the GCS to enable stabilization?
By the way, I am using channel 8 and channel 9 directly on the receiver to control zoom and shutter of a Sony hdr video camera trough a Lanc control, and that works fine.
Thanks
archet is offline Find More Posts by archet
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
File is actually dated 2012-11-14
I suspect it is the 14 firmware but only posted on their site then.
Will do a byte compare.

They really should be more professional with their version control.
The PC GCS still have the same version number since the first release.

edit: It is the same. The CRC32 checksum matches.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Gimbal stabilization stopped working: half problem solved

I remembered that the only noticeable operation I did after the gimbal stabilization was working, was taking off all the power wiring from the ESC connections to the FC. I did it because everywhere I have read advices to take off the power wires from the ESCs if the FC is already powered separately.
Because I couldn't find any solution to the problem I just tried to reconnect the power wire of only one ESC and suddenly the pitch and roll servos started working again.
Anyway, the roll servo put the gimbal all the way on one side while the pitch servo positioned the camera plate in a correct position horizontally.
I connected again other ESC's power wires to the FC, but the roll stabilization doesn't want to work at all, while the pitch stabilization works normally and I can control it manually from channel 7 of Tx.
Any suggestion about the roll stabilization problem?
Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Nothing has changed, since there are upgrade error happens during firmware upgrade because of the Chinese character inside, so we remove them and release again. The firmware version do have some confuse, later we will tidy them up and unified. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.
zerouav is online now Find More Posts by zerouav
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
May be slightly off topic, but I'm looking to invest in a YS-X6. I see the X4 was just released. I'm building a new Y6 configuration and would like to know the main differences between the two set-ups. I like the idea of the controller and imu in the same smaller size box. I fly for aerial business and mostly manual or GPS guided flight. Not a huge need for waypoints at this time. Just curious why the X4 is so much more inexpensive? What do I get with the X6 that I don't with the X4. Last, I never fly more than 500 meters away (mostly line of sight). Feedback appreciated
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archet View Post
I remembered that the only noticeable operation I did after the gimbal stabilization was working, was taking off all the power wiring from the ESC connections to the FC. I did it because everywhere I have read advices to take off the power wires from the ESCs if the FC is already powered separately.
Because I couldn't find any solution to the problem I just tried to reconnect the power wire of only one ESC and suddenly the pitch and roll servos started working again.
Anyway, the roll servo put the gimbal all the way on one side while the pitch servo positioned the camera plate in a correct position horizontally.
I connected again other ESC's power wires to the FC, but the roll stabilization doesn't want to work at all, while the pitch stabilization works normally and I can control it manually from channel 7 of Tx.
Any suggestion about the roll stabilization problem?
Thanks
Do you have a bec power your servos and only run the signal wire to the flight controller.
You must not connect the power wires from the esc!
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:08 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
archet, can you post a picture of your setup.

You will need signal into channel 7 and 8 for the gimbal outputs to work.

Here is how it should be connected.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22015054
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one View Post
May be slightly off topic, but I'm looking to invest in a YS-X6. I see the X4 was just released. I'm building a new Y6 configuration and would like to know the main differences between the two set-ups. I like the idea of the controller and imu in the same smaller size box. I fly for aerial business and mostly manual or GPS guided flight. Not a huge need for waypoints at this time. Just curious why the X4 is so much more inexpensive? What do I get with the X6 that I don't with the X4. Last, I never fly more than 500 meters away (mostly line of sight). Feedback appreciated
Better sensors in general give you better accuracy and reliability. Plus you are still able to use all available ports if you want to fly in octo configuration. With the ys-x4 the cam gimbal ports are unusable if you wanna fly an octo. So in short it is more future proof.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,122 Posts
anyone running this on a large octo?

I am planning a 1100mm octo with 15" props likely flying AUW 7.0 kg.....

running 6S and flashed esc's....

anyone flying something like this with some feeback?

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:55 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
anyone running this on a large octo?

I am planning a 1100mm octo with 15" props likely flying AUW 7.0 kg.....

running 6S and flashed esc's....

anyone flying something like this with some feeback?

Steve
My octo in the "fake cinestar clone" thread is running YS-X6 and 15" just fine. But on 4S with 490kv motors, not 6S and 320kv.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
YS - 3DR Radio System

Hi Robone, Andrea .. here is the diagram for the 3DR air module.

The data from com3 on the YS is RS232 at a baud of 115200. The 3DR radio's are TTL therefore you need to invert both the RX and TX data between these two modules.

I did this using a SMD 74HC14 Schmitt inverter.

Set both 3DR radios and the PC GCS software to 115200 baud.

Done...

To use the Wifi module on the ground, the RX and TX data (between the 3DR ground module and the Wifi Module) has to be inverted back to RS232. I will post the diagram for this mod later today.
amtech is offline Find More Posts by amtech
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Another crash

Unfortunately my experience with YS-X6 is not satisfactory until now, because another crash put me completely frustrated.
When I put a video link on my Sony video recorder CX730E and a 5.8 GHz transmitter, I saw that there was a high interference with the pitch servo. It reduced only when I put it far on one of the gimbal leg.
I had already flown the model few times with the video recorder on it, but without video link, and it was flying fine. This time, I started in GPS mode and it went up smoothly, but after few seconds I saw a first twitch and later it tilted almost 30 on one side and went down in that direction without control. Broke one propeller, a gimbal's leg and landing skid. I am very disappointed. Can the interference act also on the FC or ESCs? I am powering the pitch servo trough ESC's BEC (I took off the red wire from ESC connection to FC, but then I had no stabilization from the FC, so I connected again th red wire on three ESC's connection to power the Pitch servo). I am not using roll stabilization.
Here is the video of the crash.
YS-X6 - another crash (0 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:13 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archet View Post
Unfortunately my experience with YS-X6 is not satisfactory until now, because another crash put me completely frustrated.
When I put a video link on my Sony video recorder CX730E and a 5.8 GHz transmitter, I saw that there was a high interference with the pitch servo. It reduced only when I put it far on one of the gimbal leg.
I had already flown the model few times with the video recorder on it, but without video link, and it was flying fine. This time, I started in GPS mode and it went up smoothly, but after few seconds I saw a first twitch and later it tilted almost 30 on one side and went down in that direction without control. Broke one propeller, a gimbal's leg and landing skid. I am very disappointed. Can the interference act also on the FC or ESCs? I am powering the pitch servo trough ESC's BEC (I took off the red wire from ESC connection to FC, but then I had no stabilization from the FC, so I connected again th red wire on three ESC's connection to power the Pitch servo). I am not using roll stabilization.
Here is the video of the crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_JPdb_C_s&feature=plcp
sorry about what happened with your copter. Yep, vtx and data radio interference can become very nasty, it cost me 5 pairs of nice graupner props. Troubleshooting is pretty simple though. Move sources of interference as far away as possible from the IMU and check the values in the GCS.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:36 AM
Italy, Apulia, FG
Joined Dec 2011
157 Posts
Hello to all. I wanted to know one thing that I am not so clear. For when it concerns self takeoff and landing car, these functions work only with professional system? I have the standard one with 4 Waypoint. A Your help is appreciated
Koleos
koleos is offline Find More Posts by koleos