HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
203 Posts
Thanks for doing that for me... I've had a chat with a few others, and they've mentioned that the DJI bullet connectors have a tendency to fail. I'm going to direct solder them to the motors and see if that helps any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Checked with a scope.
No changes between firmware.
jdreitman is offline Find More Posts by jdreitman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mozambique, Maputo City, Maputo
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Compass calibration failing

Hi, having a look at the direction the plane is facing toward on the map on GCS, I see that there are almost 15 deviation from actual direction it is pointing to.
I'am trying to do a compass calibration but without success.
The manual is not clear if I have to start in manual mode or GPS mode. Then I do not understand if I have to start pressing the button "Init Setup" and then the button "Magnetic Compass", or if I start immediately with the button "Magnetic Compass".
Moreover, when I start the Horizontal alignment there is no message "success" to confirm it received the command (as reported in the manual!), but I can see it received it because the LED turns blue. I then start rotating the rotor horizontally and actually I can see the LED blinks for a while. I put it down and press again the "Magnetic compass" button and choose "Vertical alignment", I take the rotor facing head down and rotate it again but this time I do not see any light blinking on the LED (some time I got a sparkle but not as when doing the horizontal alignment). When finished I press again "Magnetic compass" and choose "Save alignment". After that, data flow from the rotor to GCS and I can see a purple light from LED, until when only one circle (I think the red one) appears and sometime I had few other blue point but never had two clear circles.
My GPS/Compass is mounted on the back arm with the supplied pole, away from possible interferences. I am doing the compass calibration in a place where there is an aerial cable for television and Internet. Do you think it is affecting the calibration?
archet is offline Find More Posts by archet
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archet View Post
Hi, having a look at the direction the plane is facing toward on the map on GCS, I see that there are almost 15 deviation from actual direction it is pointing to.
I'am trying to do a compass calibration but without success.
The manual is not clear if I have to start in manual mode or GPS mode. Then I do not understand if I have to start pressing the button "Init Setup" and then the button "Magnetic Compass", or if I start immediately with the button "Magnetic Compass".
Moreover, when I start the Horizontal alignment there is no message "success" to confirm it received the command (as reported in the manual!), but I can see it received it because the LED turns blue. I then start rotating the rotor horizontally and actually I can see the LED blinks for a while. I put it down and press again the "Magnetic compass" button and choose "Vertical alignment", I take the rotor facing head down and rotate it again but this time I do not see any light blinking on the LED (some time I got a sparkle but not as when doing the horizontal alignment). When finished I press again "Magnetic compass" and choose "Save alignment". After that, data flow from the rotor to GCS and I can see a purple light from LED, until when only one circle (I think the red one) appears and sometime I had few other blue point but never had two clear circles.
My GPS/Compass is mounted on the back arm with the supplied pole, away from possible interferences. I am doing the compass calibration in a place where there is an aerial cable for television and Internet. Do you think it is affecting the calibration?
It is always difficult doing the compass calibration, the first few times, until you get the hang of it. Before you start turning in the vertical mode, make sure you can see a solid blue light, and then only begin. If you don't get a solid blue light then it is not vertical.

I had a frame that I thought was plumb, and I could not get the blue light to show unless I tipped the frame at an angle of 15 deg. Once I moved the system to a better frame, it was perfect.

I always keep it in Manual mode and just go straight to Compass calibration

Cheers
Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK View Post
Rob thanks for your in put here. I always appreciate your feed back.

This is how I have found it. When I bought my new Galaxy Note about 4 weeks ago I could make 6 saves for off line use in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. Well I was pleased as punch after all the trouble I went through to sell the iPad and then buy the Samsung which the GCS works on without having to hack it and loose your warranty.

Then just after one week it gives me a software alert to update to the latest Android version. No probs so i just clicked and let it update. But then it also loaded the latest Google map release. Then when I went to save the maps, it gave a warning this location is not allowed to save maps. You can imagine the extreme frustration and anger after all the crap I went through to get this device mostly so I can use it for the YS-X6 GCS.

So I trawled forums for days and looked for work rounds, but no go. So in the end I had to "hack" to get root and remove the new version of Google maps and then search for the old version to reinstall it.

Now with the old version it works fine again to save off line maps.

That list you have sent might not be right for the new Google map version. Its correct that it doesn't list Malaysia for off line map download, but Singapore is on the list and the new version wont save maps for there and I think this is the same for China. The staff at Zerouav confirmed this to me a few weeks ago as well that ti doesn't save fro China.

On some other forums I find there are a lot of other countries they now cant save the maps either.

Rely the easiest way to fix all this is to be able to just plug your Xbee data link direct into your usb port and then have live internet at the same time. I wouldn't have thought that would be to difficult seeing a lot of other UAVs do it.
I got that list off the Google site, so I would assume it was up to date. Just as a matter of interest, where did you buy your Samsung, because, I think they provide FW updates for the area that it comes from, which could be the reason for the change in what you can or can't see. Just stabbing in the dark here, as I really don't know.

I think they had a blackout in China a few weeks ago as they were not allowed to fly then due to some reason or other.

Cheers
Rob
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
I bought it here in Malaysia and I know the firmware are regional versions but the regions are quit broad. eg there is a Europe, Americas and Asia version with a few branch offs from this in some areas. . Although from what I see the applications aren't regional specific and neither are Google maps. May be the list changes quite often so I will check this week when I am in Indonesia and next week when I am in Singapore again if its works now or not. I can try it out again on my android mobile phone which has the latest Google maps and the tablet with the older version to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I got that list off the Google site, so I would assume it was up to date. Just as a matter of interest, where did you buy your Samsung, because, I think they provide FW updates for the area that it comes from, which could be the reason for the change in what you can or can't see. Just stabbing in the dark here, as I really don't know.

I think they had a blackout in China a few weeks ago as they were not allowed to fly then due to some reason or other.

Cheers
Rob
SkippyTBK is offline Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
The easiest way I found was to use an office chair, I have an old one I took the back rest off which I use for a work table that easy to roll round and I just put the copter on this as level as I can, then turn on the horizontal calibration and then turn it around a few times in both direction. Then I strap the copter to the back of my swivel office chair and rotate it vertical like that. This method I got as near perfect red and blue circles you could possible get.

Quote:
It is always difficult doing the compass calibration, the first few times, until you get the hang of it. Before you start turning in the vertical mode, make sure you can see a solid blue light, and then only begin. If you don't get a solid blue light then it is not vertical.

I had a frame that I thought was plumb, and I could not get the blue light to show unless I tipped the frame at an angle of 15 deg. Once I moved the system to a better frame, it was perfect.

I always keep it in Manual mode and just go straight to Compass calibration

Cheers
Rob
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Had a bit of trouble getting my new Wifi module going.
Using a IP-Serial driver gave me direct serial access to the port for testing.
Sticking a loopback on it worked.
Much testing and head scratching later I decided to trace the lines.
It was wired up wrong

Delivered configuration
RS232 TX > Pin 14 DOUT1
RS232 RX > Pin 13 RIN1

What it should be
http://www.best-microcontroller-proj...s232-work.html
RS232 TX > Pin 13 RIN1
RS232 RX > Pin 14 DOUT1
Swapping those connections around fixed it.

A less technical person would have given up after the 3rd hour and sent it back.
Another 1.5 weeks of waiting.

Still need some more work on the QC Zero

So if your v2 wifi unit is not working, there is a small chance it could be this.
Will maiden after the rain stops and report back.

Hope my run of bad luck has ended. :s
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Had a bit of trouble getting my new Wifi module going.
Using a IP-Serial driver gave me direct serial access to the port for testing.
Sticking a loopback on it worked.
Much testing and head scratching later I decided to trace the lines.
It was wired up wrong

Delivered configuration
RS232 TX > Pin 14 DOUT1
RS232 RX > Pin 13 RIN1

What it should be
http://www.best-microcontroller-proj...s232-work.html
RS232 TX > Pin 13 RIN1
RS232 RX > Pin 14 DOUT1
Swapping those connections around fixed it.

A less technical person would have given up after the 3rd hour and sent it back.
Another 1.5 weeks of waiting.

Still need some more work on the QC Zero

So if your v2 wifi unit is not working, there is a small chance it could be this.
Will maiden after the rain stops and report back.

Hope my run of bad luck has ended. :s

Good Luck! West
RYBAT is online now Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Build Logs
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
3DR Radio system

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in using the 3DR data radio system with the Zero YS X6 i have it working with the GCS in all configurations.

YS ---> 3DR AIR ----------> 3DR RX Ground---> Com PortPC
OR
YS ---> 3DR AIR ----------> 3DR RX Ground---> Wifi Module ----> Android/Iphone APP

I am also currently mapping the serial protocol and have got GPS, Voltage, Current etc.. I plan to use this info information for later use with a generic/custom GCS.

I will keep you posted.....
amtech is offline Find More Posts by amtech
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
I have already mapped most of the protocol
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725887

Although it looks like they may have revised it in the newer firmware.
Last edited by Mr_westie; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
Oh cool thanks westie... just saved me some time. I'll move over to that thread.
amtech is offline Find More Posts by amtech
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtech View Post
Hi all,

If anyone is interested in using the 3DR data radio system with the Zero YS X6 i have it working with the GCS in all configurations.

YS ---> 3DR AIR ----------> 3DR RX Ground---> Com PortPC
OR
YS ---> 3DR AIR ----------> 3DR RX Ground---> Wifi Module ----> Android/Iphone APP

I am also currently mapping the serial protocol and have got GPS, Voltage, Current etc.. I plan to use this info information for later use with a generic/custom GCS.

I will keep you posted.....
I am very interested in this, especially because 3DR have a 433Mhz system. Please give me more details.

Thanks
Rob
Last edited by robone; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Yes please i also have a 3DR radio 433mhz
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanshirdareh View Post
Hi everyone!

I have some suggestion for YS-X6:
Case of product is very important and I think it's better for ZeroUAV to change their products case.

another one is about marking of main AP I think it's better to change P color to red, because it has a red connector.

and may I to know that is there any guide for PC GCS software?
Not that I know off.
Once the YS makes me happy again I could put something together
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Rob Just for interest sake I can now confirm the list is not accurate. As we speak I am in Jakarta Indonesia and on my mobile phone the latest Google maps wont allow saving of off line maps. Where as my Tablet with the previous version will. This is the same as with Singapore

Quote:

Cheers
Rob