HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Well, i don't know whats far enough to avoid emi from Tx/Rx. Here is pictures of my imu mounting, IMU is placed under battery tray and PDB is quite close 22mm under IMU. Imu is mounted on 6mm vibration absorbing gel sheet.
Just 2 comments.

The wifi module should be far away from everything. Most people mount it on a landing gear leg.

Most people mount the IMU on double sided tape.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.T View Post
Maybe finding it is a part of the competition
I don't mind, you?

//Frank
good point
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Hi guys,

Is there really anyone using YS successfully in heavy lift setup? I have tested now around 100 flights and i'm having two constant problems. First i cannot get rid of small vibration which is only noticeable in video watched in full screen afterwards. I have tried with 6 different well balanced props, rebalanced motors couple of times, all balanced and balanced again with large variety of different parameters and it's always there. With WKM i don't get any vibration at all so it has to be related to YS somehow. It's kind of very small roll direction oscillation which is most noticeable in corners in video.

My P/R sensitivity values are now around 70-80, if i go higher it oscillates and lower it's too sensitive. Atti is now 25, if go higher it oscillates even in 70/P/R, low end i don't know it's already very low. How low it is safe to go with atti values? Motion compensation i have tried in range from 40 to 190 but not much difference, oscillates when very high but same small vibration is there when it's very low.

Other thing is i get sudden yaw drifts, i've got them from the beginning almost in every flight. Recalibrated compass many many times and really don't know why it drifts, even in dead calm. I have rechecked motors are straight few times with laser spirit and i only can tell they are very straight. Also tried to tilt the motors to help yaw 3 degrees but it didn't help. Possibly might be related low ATTI value i need to use?

Is there really anyone flying YS successfully in bigger (over 5kg) setups? Do i need to go back to WKM and put YS back to smaller frame or is it possible to get this setup flying without vibrations? In every other ways i really like the YS system much over WKM and i really like to use it but looks like i just can't get it right there. I really appreciate all suggestions that might be helpful.

Here is video showing yaw drift and also vibration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz-H_EY_Vw
Hi Karl, well described
I have a small craft, but it's heavy. My AUW is 4.5kg, and I get the same anomalies. Theres still some yaw issues on a 360 degree pan on the spot, with what I can describe as 'sticky' parts of the rotation, stalling the pan, and then surging to get past that spot.
I think I have fixed it all with recalibration of the ESC's but still need a few flights to test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf3ZlV38TPI
caterpillar is offline Find More Posts by caterpillar
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,088 Posts
I installed and tested the 7/23/12 firmware today (1000mm octocopter). My previous gains now leads to wobble, and I had to lower them from 80 to 60 to get the wobbles out. But now the stabilization seems more sluggish then with the previous firmware. Anyone else noticed anything similar?
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:02 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
I do. 5Kg and 14Kg with prof. camera.

I even use the standard settings and they work for me.

Did you use only double-sided tape under the IMU (i did).

Did you place your antenna(s) and receiver/transmitter far away from the IMU

//Frank
Are you really flying 14 kg machine with defaults? It is hard to believe. I really cannot use atti gains over 30 and defaults are 80.

Ok i remounted imu with double side tape and moved wifi etc further away from imu, we'll see if there is any difference. Is there any way to reset to default parameters. Reset button in iphone and pc GS does nothing.

Also pc software shows p/r I value 70 as iphone version shows 80! Is this bug or?
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:34 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
I use Tiger AT2820, carbon prop: http://www.rckopter.com/index.php/pa...-avp-13x5.html

We had some wobble so I moved the batteries (we use two) on top of the arms next
to the center-plate, this did the trick.

I am on holiday now so I can't take a picture, here's a old one with AV200, now we use the Cinestar mount.

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:03 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
I use Tiger AT2820, carbon prop: http://www.rckopter.com/index.php/pa...-avp-13x5.html

We had some wobble so I moved the batteries (we use two) on top of the arms next
to the center-plate, this did the trick.

I am on holiday now so I can't take a picture, here's a old one with AV200, now we use the Cinestar mount.

//Frank
I have battery on top in cinestar and i think lower cog was even worse. My setup was definitely smoother without camera onboard. I use 13/6,5 cf props but not better with smaller ones.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:03 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Thats why I put it on the arms, not in center.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:34 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Thats why I put it on the arms, not in center.
How is it going with Autoquad compared to YS, have you planned to replace YS with it in your big bird? Would be nice to hear how is that working in bigger frames. All systems are working great in small F450/f550 size systems but when we go 900mm/5kg and over things start to go different.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:21 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
No, no AQ in the production machine. After testing the AQ will be in a new big machine, it first have to prove itself.

The YS is working flawless here.

//Frank
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
No, no AQ in the production machine. After testing the AQ will be in a new big machine, it first have to prove itself.

The YS is working flawless here.

//Frank
Is the AQ a good system Frank? Have you any videos?
caterpillar is offline Find More Posts by caterpillar
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
Multirotoriste
France, IdF, Montesson
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
suscribe
laverre is offline Find More Posts by laverre
Last edited by laverre; Aug 05, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:25 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Frank,

What firmware you are using in YS?
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,088 Posts
NOT VERY PLEASED WITH THE LATEST (7/23/12) FIRMWARE!!

I just had a crash which I am pretty certain was caused by the autopilot.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I had some problems with stabilization in the new 7/23/12 firmware. Previous ones flew perfectly.

But since I also had installed a gimbal since the last firmware, I decided to removed the gimbal and test again.
With the old firmware (6/25/12) I flew with Roll and Pitch sensitivity set to 90/90, the rest at default settings. Great performance, best I have seen so far indeed with very good position hold in strong winds.

With the new (7/23/12) firmware and gimbal installed I got lots of wobbles at the same settings. After tuning roll and pitch sensitivity down to 60/60, the wobbles disappeared but stabilization is now to soft to perform well in gusts of wind.

So I then decided to remove the gimbal (luckily) and test some more. Flew again at 60/60 gains. Same soft performance as when the gimbal was installed. I then changed roll and pitch back to 90/90 which I used to fly with on the old firmware. I slowly spun the motors up in manual and looked for wobbles. I could not see any so I punched the throttle slightly (to get out of ground effect) as usual and took off. The copter suddenly pitched down HARD. Much more then any stick input should allow it to pitch. Stick corrections did not help, and just made the copter yaw to the left while still pitching down hard. By now the copter has to much height and velocity to just drop it, so I gave some more throttle and activated GPS position hold (10 satellite lock confirmed and tested with the earlier 60/60 gains) hold to see if the problem would work itself out. Instead the copter performed a VERY sharp left half circle with close to 90 deg pitch and came down to the ground at that angle with the front/side first.

So right now I am just happy I removed the cinestar gimbal before the crash..
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
RCI
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Hi Jad
IFeel much your accident.
I think the latest version works great, I've tried all the functions: Android Control, PC Control, waypoints, RTH ..... many spent batteries and have not had even a small mistake during flights.
Cheers
Jose
RCI is offline Find More Posts by RCI