HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:35 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
ESC Settings

For all those new to Multirotors, or those not so new, please check your program that you have set on your ESC's I have found quite a few people doing the settings incorrectly which sometimes results in odd behavious with any multirotor. And please use a program card as that way, you know you have the correct settings and not having to rely on interpreting beeps.

This is the recommended settings for most standard 400Hz ESC's

Recommended ESC settings for Multirotors
Brake: Off
Battery Type: Ni-xx
Cut Off Type: Soft-Cut
Cut Off Voltage: Low
Start Mode: Normal
Timing Mode: Middle
Music/Li-Po Cells:All Off
Governor mode: Off

- The brake settings should be OFF. Using the brake on a multirotor may briefly stop the motor and cause the flight controller to overcompensate, resulting in an unstable platform.
- The battery type is set to Ni-xx in order to prevent your ESC from shutting down the power to the motor. It's safer to drain the battery even more and land your Multirotor. Note that draining your LIPO battery too much will damage it, however, losing a Multirotor will cost more.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Hi,

I always take off in GPS Auto hover BUT what I did which I will never do again was
switch GCS devices while the craft was powered up!

I was controlling it from the ipad and decided (while the craft was powered) that i'd switch to my iphone. The second I did that, the motors went full throt and it immediately flipped over on its props and started cutting out circles.

Of course I went into manual mode as fast as I could and that killed the motors as the throt position was down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Were yo in manual mode 1 or 2 or GPS
ovnilab is offline Find More Posts by ovnilab
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
RC Aircraft Noob Since 01-2012
Philippines, Davao Region, Davao City
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Do you have Noise filter magnets installed?

those clip on magnets solved my random power out issues - it would seem the IMU would spike from the RF Noise. I used 7 magnets:

IMU, GPS, VidTx, and 1 on each ESC signal cable (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreitman View Post
Hey guys,

As some of you probably remember, I had some problems a few weeks ago with my hexa flying the YS-X6 FC. I spoke with Zero support, and they suggested upgrading the firmware would solve the problem... Well, it hasn't.

With the firmware upgraded, I'm still have this random twitching problem. As you can see in the two video below, I'm flying in full GPS hold mode with both hands off the Tx. You'll notice this random twitch happening. I tried it in GPS, alt hold, and manual mode and all 3 modes exhibited the same problem. I also calibrated the compass on-site, and still not luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGT64ftZJ0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGT64ftZJ0A

Thanks,

J
magetpr is offline Find More Posts by magetpr
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
RC Aircraft Noob Since 01-2012
Philippines, Davao Region, Davao City
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Can anyone tell me if the blue calibration is good enough ( the z axis is so hard to get right)
The way I do it is I place my android phone on the model as I carry it and look at the attitude values - keep them at zero while you circle in place.
magetpr is offline Find More Posts by magetpr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:21 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magetpr View Post
The way I do it is I place my android phone on the model as I carry it and look at the attitude values - keep them at zero while you circle in place.
Actually phone on your plane might interfere with compass. Also to be safe car keys should be left further from pocket when doing calibration.
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:26 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magetpr View Post
Do you have Noise filter magnets installed?

those clip on magnets solved my random power out issues - it would seem the IMU would spike from the RF Noise. I used 7 magnets:

IMU, GPS, VidTx, and 1 on each ESC signal cable (4)
Do you mean clip on ferrites? I think you should not need them, normally twisting cables (also motor cables) and placing modules far enough from interference sources does the trick. Ferrites are just extra weight and tape on fixing imo in this case.

Kari
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Well the ridiculousness of the whole circus never ceases with this system. I sold my iP-Had-Enough and bought the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 so I wouldn't have to bother "Jailbreaking" the stupid device and end up voiding its warranty.

Ok now everything is working perfectly on my Galaxy and got the copter all tuned up and ready to go. Worked out how to save maps off line so I can use it without internet because unlike Arducopter you cant use both.

Then mid this week Google Maps upgrade the software and now for Malaysia I can no longer cache the maps for off line use!!..I suspect this will now be the same now for China and other parts of Asia.

How ridiculous it that? Now I will have to find a way to hack this as well!!!??

Does anyone know how to work around this?
SkippyTBK is offline Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Dear Zerouav,

Are you aware that the new Google Maps update this week make it now impossible to cache maps for off line use for many countries in Asia? It will probably be the same for China I suspect. This means we cant have maps while using the YS-X6 on the GCS.

I would alternatively like to connect my Data link Module direct to my lap top if this is at all possible. Please advise if we can do this using the new USB cable? Then I can have internet as well as live connection to the YS-X6 for the GCS.

Please let me know if this is possible how this can be resolved.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK View Post
Does anyone know how to work around this?
Apparently Bluetooth support has been supported since July?
Unfortunately I do not have a compatible Android to test.
And my unit is away for repair.

If that's the case, connect the Datalink to a Full voltage RS232 Bluetooth adaptor and you should be good to go with data and internet.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Apparently Bluetooth support has been supported since July?
Unfortunately I do not have a compatible Android to test.
And my unit is away for repair.

If that's the case, connect the Datalink to a Full voltage RS232 Bluetooth adaptor and you should be good to go with data and internet.
That sounds interesting, thanks westie. Are there any instructions for this ?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Ok!! I fixed it for now by doing a full hard reset of the tablet. I now have Google Maps 6.81 back and it now saves the maps to cache. Just a waring for anyone not to update your Google maps unless you know for sure the new version will cache for off line use.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
315 Posts
Quote:
Ok!! I fixed it for now by doing a full hard reset of the tablet. I now have Google Maps 6.81 back and it now saves the maps to cache. Just a waring for anyone not to update your Google maps unless you know for sure the new version will cache for off line use.
Just to add another point. It might also be related to Google + so be careful accepting to join this. I recall this kept popping up to join it when using the map so I did to get rid of the annoying pop up. I cant recall if this was before or after the update. Just a cautionary note to watch out for.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:16 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
That sounds interesting, thanks westie. Are there any instructions for this ?
You know how we roll around here, by the seat of our pants
Will give it a shot when my one gets back.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
I know this is not "show your film"-thread but like to share something here too. This is all shot with my cinestar 6 ys-x6:
Made In Sky summer 2012 (4 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
What camera,gimbal and gimbal controller did you use
flying squirrelk is offline Find More Posts by flying squirrelk