HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Actually it is not difficult to set up. If you use the "install guide" on the android GCS, and just follow the instructions. Once you have it working you will be extremely happy.

Before you bought the system, surely you must have read about using a wifi router or having to use a hotspot on an android tablet or having to use a jail broken iphone/tablet!!

You mentioned that you loaded the 50 waypoint FW. Did you pay for that upgrade? Or did you download it from ZeroUAV website? That FW was meant for only certain serial numbers and I am sure yours was not one of them, so I am not sure what you can do to remove that. Maybe reinstall the original FW.

We are here to help you, but unless you tell us what your problem is, we cannot do that
I have it installed on my Android phone ok, but yes I didn't read it thoroughly that it needed a separate router. The Ipad was not a priority anyway as I was mostly going to use my Rx in any case. It was more a complaint about Apple than anything.

So any clues now how I can unlock and reinstall the FW? I had an email about 30min ago from ZeroUav and said they will send me the unlock on Monday for the 50wp.
SkippyTBK is offline Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK View Post
I have it installed on my Android phone ok, but yes I didn't read it thoroughly that it needed a separate router. The Ipad was not a priority anyway as I was mostly going to use my Rx in any case. It was more a complaint about Apple than anything.

So any clues now how I can unlock and reinstall the FW? I had an email about 30min ago from ZeroUav and said they will send me the unlock on Monday for the 50wp.
If you have the budget for a 50 waypoints upgrade, you should be able to afford a cheap Andoird phone or tablet. It has the best/most supported version of the ZeroUAV GCS anyways.

Edit. Never mind, I zoomed in on the Ipad deal and did not notice that you have already switched to a Android device..
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:

I am sure that once they have sent you the unlock, things will work out.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Agree on, should being easier to setup at this price.

Just got a MultiWii and MegapirateNG setup while I wait for the repair round trip.

Same or easier than the YS setup due to available good documentation.
Tuning is ok too now that I have a nice solid frame to start with.

\__[0]__/
YS-X6 Know why it crashes before you fly. Feature requests.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751160
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Last edited by Mr_westie; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
If you have the budget for a 50 waypoints upgrade, you should be able to afford a cheap Andoird phone or tablet. It has the best/most supported version of the ZeroUAV GCS anyways.

Edit. Never mind, I zoomed in on the Ipad deal and did not notice that you have already switched to a Android device..
I have an iPad 3 with iOS6 which there is no jail break for at this stage so it cant be set up on this iPad.(I won it so wasn't acquired by choice, i would prefer a Samsung any day)

In any case who would expect someone sells a top end/priced product that needs to use an hack on another product that can void its warranty? And also advertises this is a feature we can use and iPhone or iPad? Whats so hard to develop an App for it instead?

Again, I challenge anyone to sit down even a half smart person and see if they can set this up using the manual on a PC onto a mulitrotor copter in a day. Most of what I did was found tutorials on Ytube.

The product site states it can be used on all these device so I shouldn't have you people backing them up just to use this or that etc and making excuses for them . This is not a DIY AP kits or Opensource project. Its a high cost out of the box AP that should be plug and play and click click reasonably easy to set up item

This is all coming from people who know quite a bit already about MR copters. Don't go making excuses for this when a product at this price point should have much better documentation and and software supporting it than what Ive found so far. As it is the PC GCS software is at best still looks like it is at a development stage and the telemetry setup is a bit hodg podg having to lug a router around.

I hope at least, and I am confident it will, that the performance will redeem its self once I get the chance to fly it.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
748 Posts
What about Ardupilot Mega 2.5

Hi
For two years ago when i started with rc i was looking at the APM(diydrones.com) but figured out that OpenSource was a bit to risky. Today there is, and might have been for more than two years for all that i know, DJI Wokong and YS-X6 that is the top models everyone wants but is i bit to high priced. And it's not Open Source

When it comes to features, the APM has the following in version 2.5:
http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_K...lotmega-05.htm
And with this for that low price, you can fly in this modes:
Acro
Stabilize
Alt Hold
Simple
Auto
RTL
Guided
Position
Loiter
Circle
Follow Me!
Simple GeoFence
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_ModeSwitch

If you add this
3DR Radio Telemetry Kit - 433 Mhz
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radio...try-3dr433.htm
And this:
3DR GPS uBlox LEA-6
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_GPS_L...r-3drlea-6.htm

And install this free software:
Mission Planning and Analysis from here:
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Mission

I think we got ourselves an OpenSource FC with all the features and flight modes you can ever want. All this for about $403 + shipping.

The good thing is that this OpenSource project is not going to be shut down as it's to many users.

One more thing, u can use as many Waypoints that u want, you've allready payed for them.

PS. I have nothing to do with the APM project, i've just been reading about all this FC's for three days now, and i'm going for the APM.

J
Ramnes is online now Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post

PS. I have nothing to do with the APM project, i've just been reading about all this FC's for three days now, and i'm going for the APM.

J
Good luck. That's why all my sales of the YS-X6 are to people who have been flying the various APM systems.

And strangely enough, they do not have a problem setting the YS-X6 system up.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Good luck. That's why all my sales of the YS-X6 are to people who have been flying the various APM systems.

I beg to differ there robone. You keep saying its easy to set up but I'm now 3 days at it and still haven't got past connecting the wifi. It might be easy for you who are already well familiar with this system.

Just look at the both major Owner streams on the YS forums here and its full of many problems and problems in a lot of cases worse then the open source FC systems.

The APM has matured enormously in the last 12 months and it is actually easier to set up than this YS system now. The 2.7.4 has great stability, RTL and AP behavior. Its not perfect yet but its not far from being a great usable system. I have used a number of different FC systems and to date I find the best stabilizer platform and GCS is Openpilot. Its development is a bit slow and and AP is a way off yet.

The reason I bought the YS-X6 is for my friend who has an aerial photography business and he is not very tech savvy so I had assumed this off the shelf type of system would be much easier for him to own and maintain. As I have found now its not the case at all and so far the setup on YS is no better than any other DIY system setup. The GCS is very average and half baked and the user manual and documentations is appalling. I am just hopping when i do actually get to fly it that it will finally surprise me for the money that's been spent.

Also consider there are different systems and cost points for different customers needs as well. Not everyone has 3K to spend.

Just go take a look at the others yourself and then give us a fair unbiased point for point comparison if you think otherwise. Facts will always out perform rhetoric any day.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
748 Posts
Quote:

robone

Thats no good sales argument. You will earn a lot more saying, "i'll hope you come back one day, until then have a good flying experience"

But, that said. The YS-X6 was on top of my list all the time until i read SkippyTBK's reply and thought i had to look into the APM 2.5(ArduPilot Mega).

The YS-X6 was released this summer and the APM was released in January 2009, so it's al little bit more mature and has thousands of users all over the planet contributing to it on a regular basis.
I'm not saying that the YS-X6 is of a lower quality, all i try to say is that dont try to fool your coming customers, thats bad for your sale.

There are room for all of us out there no matter what FC we fly. This time the APM won over the YS-X6, but i have more copters in my business that needs FC's, but not right now. It might be a YS-Xx one day from your webshop.

Look to the right and you will see the past, look to the left and you will see the future and the possibilities ahead(unknown).

J
Ramnes is online now Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:

Again, I challenge anyone to sit down even a half smart person and see if they can set this up using the manual on a PC onto a mulitrotor copter in a day. Most of what I did was found tutorials on Ytube.
I can understand the headache that people are getting when reading the YS-X6 manual. However, I already took on your challenge months ago before YS-X6 was officially launched for worldwide sales. My video was maybe the first video outside China to surface about the YS-X6. Even Zero tech people was surprised that I managed to setup a hexacopter with such a poor manual and did that completely without their assistance. See my thread here.

I dont speak chinese but how did I do that? Dont mean to brag but I'm just saying that sometimes you would get the problems sorted by staying calm and take time to figure out the solutions. Experience in multirotor helps me a lot, trial and error and some understanding in Asian language particularly in how words are constructed into sentences gives me big clue on how to perform the steps indicated in the manual.

The latest version of the manual has been greatly improved over the original version but as we all know it's not up to Queen's English standard. I have to say, though, my flying mates have been able to setup their YS-X6 multirotor properly by reading the manual thoroughly. We would occasionally scratch our heads but the manual is still readable to a large extent.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Last edited by fajar; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
609 Posts
As an early adopter of the YS-X6, I had a small amount of issues in translation, but good advice on having the multirotor set up for lower vibrations (motors and props) and sturdy frames helps a lot. I see there's many people putting the system onto very nasty frames, then complaining the system is costly and should work better. If you place a sub $1000 system onto a $20 frame, and use junk unbalanced props and motors, then no amount of pretty GUI or English manuals will make it fly better. I've seen some pretty nasty looking piles of flying rubbish flying, some sounding 2 stroke they are so far out of balance with props.... HEHEHE. The latest English manual is fine for setup, my 14 year old nephew set his quad up with very little assistance.
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salocin View Post
having the multirotor set up for lower vibrations (motors and props) and sturdy frames helps a lot. I see there's many people putting the system onto very nasty frames, then complaining the system is costly and should work better.
Guilty
My excuse was I purchased as a kit and assumed it was ARTF.
It was, but in a narrow operating window.
learned a lot since then
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
robone

Thats no good sales argument. You will earn a lot more saying, "i'll hope you come back one day, until then have a good flying experience"

But, that said. The YS-X6 was on top of my list all the time until i read SkippyTBK's reply and thought i had to look into the APM 2.5(ArduPilot Mega).

The YS-X6 was released this summer and the APM was released in January 2009, so it's al little bit more mature and has thousands of users all over the planet contributing to it on a regular basis.
I'm not saying that the YS-X6 is of a lower quality, all i try to say is that dont try to fool your coming customers, thats bad for your sale.

There are room for all of us out there no matter what FC we fly. This time the APM won over the YS-X6, but i have more copters in my business that needs FC's, but not right now. It might be a YS-Xx one day from your webshop.

Look to the right and you will see the past, look to the left and you will see the future and the possibilities ahead(unknown).

J
APM is not without it problems either, don't get me wrong there, but then your not paying over 3K for it either. I am very happy to be part of both the APM and the Openpilot community and to contribute my time and ideas and share others ideas to make improvements so we have a great low cost affordable AP system. But when I pay 3K for a product I wouldn't expect to be trawling for a whole weekend through a forum to find out how to make it work.

One member here on another post bragged how easy they set the YS-X6 up but they have a lot of experience with mulit rotor copters so I wouldn't expect anything less, but I am sure anyone who is a novice would find the YS-X6 instructions quit difficult and setup not that easy either. Just look at the number of post related to problems with the wifi and router setup lots of people face. I see hacks and added xbee modules to improve it or make it talk direct to the YS. This is not a DIY system but supposedly out of the box plug and play.

The the remark "good luck with APM" as you pointed out is inappropriate coming from a YS distributor. It was actually the good review that one of the moderators from our APM forum gave YSs flying capabilities which is what lead me to buy this YS-X6 for my friend. His review was my decider to choose it over DJI.

I and sure YS is on the way to be a good products but for the price, it needs much to be improved yet. I have yet to fly the YS so I will reserve my comments on a comparison of its capabilities with APM and Openpilot after then.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie View Post
Guilty
My excuse was I purchased as a kit and assumed it was ARTF.
It was, but in a narrow operating window.
learned a lot since then
Yeah, early days my hexa was all but short of a flying rubbish tip. LOL. Now, I'm really careful to build near and balanced, and have few issues related to vibration. I guess for me its the vibration that makes it to my camera/s, if its jello'd, Its trash...
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
I agree. The setup is a pain you know where. For the price we paid they can make it much more easy think the reason people want to buy the ysx6 is because they are fed up struggle with diy stuff then they come over to ysx6 then you have problems get it to communicate.

I also come from the APM side and i must admit the software is world class compare to ysx6.
I dont think it will ever be like ardupilots software because its not open source.
But as soon as you get over the setup stage and coms problems the stability off the ysx6 is on par with top the range products.
They can improve the gimbal controls allot!

What frustrate me about APM2 is all the tuning you have to do to get it stable and have a desent GPS hold. That is not the case with zerouav i still fly stock settings and have very good possition hold.

One good addvise i can give zerouav is getting your software and functions sorted and stop charging people for it. We have paid more than enough for the product.

Stop selling the wifi radios and upgrade all the radios to the date radio then you would have much less complaining customers without them have to spend $200 for it.

Dont develop software for apple products if people have to void the product warranty to have it work.

One more nice tip is let your software calculate the declination automatically like ardupilot software does. Its a pain if you travel and always must go and check whats the declination value off your location.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553