HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
How do you hook up batteries

When running 2 batteries do you hook them up through a pigtail so the both go through the YS-X6 connector or run them each to a distro board on there own
richkphoto is offline Find More Posts by richkphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:40 AM
RTF copters maker
South France
Joined Jan 2008
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
When running 2 batteries do you hook them up through a pigtail so the both go through the YS-X6 connector or run them each to a distro board on there own
Hi,
I've made a Y on the distriboard so the 2 batteries are plugged at the same time.
But I use a QUANUM on one battery so I twice the battery alarm system...
The Iphone vibrates on my pocket on low battery, but my client cannot put the Ipad in his pocket !!!
cheers
Maximus
maximus-rc is offline Find More Posts by maximus-rc
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
I have a separate Y cable connecting the 2 batteries, that then connects to another inverted Y which splits to my electronics and to my ESC's, so I can power up the electronics and only once I am happy with the electronics data, only then do I plug in the ESC cable.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I have a separate Y cable connecting the 2 batteries, that then connects to another inverted Y which splits to my electronics and to my ESC's, so I can power up the electronics and only once I am happy with the electronics data, only then do I plug in the ESC cable.
I use the connector that came with it so when I plug in one end to the battery it powers the electornics and when all is good I then plug in the other end to power the motors.
The issue I have is I get no warning and when my batteries hit 3.75 per cell the craft lowers to the ground. I never see a yellow warning light or get my phone to vibrate
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Mozambique, Maputo City, Maputo
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Discharging rate

Hi, I am waiting for my YS-X6 and in the meantime having a look at this forum, that I find interesting, even if now I do not understand many details because I am relatively new to multicopters and completely new to YS-X6.
May someone please make me clear about the relationship of the battery's discharging rate and other factors like propellers, KV number, frame weight, etc..?
My new model will have a total up weight of 5 kg (S6-PRO from Infinity hobby) and I bought two 5.000 mAh 20C Lipo batteries. When I bought them I thought that the discharge rate was only a parameter to understand how fast you can charge them.
Thanks

Antonio
archet is offline Find More Posts by archet
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Hi Antonio.
I see you also have a Wookong.
Start your research here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Discharge rate C

Yes Mr_westie, I do have a WKM controller with a GAUI 500X quadcopter I am practicing with (so many crashes and time wasting for replacements!!)
Now, because I want to carry a camera weighing almost 700 gr. I bought (still arriving) an exacopter with YS-X6. I hope I did the right choice.
Reading trough this YS-X6 forum I have seen that it wont be that easy to configure and fly safely the model, so I am trying to pick advices and experience from other fellows here.
I had a look at your links, thanks for that, they have been very useful.
Now, according to what I have read there, these are my conclusions (please correct me if I am wrong):
For the GAUI 500X quadcopter with 18 A ESC's, if I use my Zippy 5.000 mAh 20 C, I have:
5 x 20 = 100 A that battery can supply ;
4 x 18 = 72 A that can be absorbed by the 4 ESC's.
Because battery has to be 20% more than the ESC's need, it seems that in this case the battery choice with 20C discharge rate is almost right.

For the S6-PRO with 6 x 40A ESC's, if I use my Zippy 5.000 mAh 20C, I have:
5 x 20 = 100 A that battery can supply;
6 x 40 = 240 A that can be absorbed by the 6 ESC's.
In this last case I see that I should have at least a battery with 45C discharging rate to have (45 x 5) 225 A.

My question is: do the ESC's always require all this current? How the motor kv factor influence the current need. The S6-PRO exacopter is rated to have a maximum all-up-weight of 6.18 Kg. If I have a weight of, say, 5 kg. do you think that motors and ESC's are working in the highest limit, and what could happen to the battery, is it only a matter of reducing the flying time?

Thanks a lot
Antonio
Last edited by archet; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archet View Post
Hi, I am waiting for my YS-X6 and in the meantime having a look at this forum, that I find interesting, even if now I do not understand many details because I am relatively new to multicopters and completely new to YS-X6.
May someone please make me clear about the relationship of the battery's discharging rate and other factors like propellers, KV number, frame weight, etc..?
My new model will have a total up weight of 5 kg (S6-PRO from Infinity hobby) and I bought two 5.000 mAh 20C Lipo batteries. When I bought them I thought that the discharge rate was only a parameter to understand how fast you can charge them.
Thanks

Antonio
You may be loading the 20c batteries a bit with 5kg AUW. I have a 5.0kg multirotor and my 25c-35c burst area a little under what I should have. If i kick the throttle in the guts too hard, my buzzers go off till I back it off. What kv are your batteries and what brand?
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
551 Posts
I would have gone with 30 or 35C batteries. How much flying experience do you have where you mentioned crashing the Gaui , because even though the more expensive flight controller can do more you still need the skill to fly. I was in GPS mode with to small a battery and it started taking off flying away. If I didn't know how to fly in manual mode I would have lost a $2500 copter
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Discharge rate C

My Gaui 500X has GAUI 960 kv motors and the S6-PRO has STO 4008-620 kv motors. I actually do not have enough experience to fly safely the exacopter with YS-X6 controller with this expensive exacopter (even more expensive if I put on it a big camera!!) and that's why I still have a cheaper GAUI 500X with WKM that I want to use to get more experience.
I am trying to get lessons not only from my errors but even from other people here with much more experience. This is the nice aspect of good forums like this. Sharing experiences.
Thanks
Antonio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
38 Posts
Discharge rate C

Does putting two batteries in parallel on the model reduce the problem of having low C rates?
I intend that if the load requires a lot of current, it is shared between the two batteries so they probably wont be over discharged past their C limit.
I found this link on Lipo batteries very interesting for newbie like me: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Last edited by archet; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Ukraine
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Where can I buy extra IMU for mini650 gimbal?

----

Ohh no.
Quote:
Note: customers need to return the YS-X6 to get the FPGA's firmware updated to SteadiCam's firmware, which can't be done through internet. Also, the ne firmware can just support Sbus radio receivers.
ukrsonic is offline Find More Posts by ukrsonic
Last edited by ukrsonic; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrsonic View Post
Where can I buy extra IMU for mini650 gimbal?

----

Ohh no.
From zerouav direct need to send all your curent electronics back to them for them to make some changes then they send it back. They told me so
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
question

Hello, I am on dji naza, GPS
I am very satisfied with the stabilite of the drone.
The legislation in France changed, to approve a drone, the latter owes be equiped with a limit of height (150m, and horizontal (100m.
Think you that ys-x6 can make it, via regulations specifics
sry for my bad English.
Thank you
theTOPOLINO is offline Find More Posts by theTOPOLINO
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
What is the proper procedure to fly to way points?

I was able to create and upload way points (the basic 4 way point system) but when I try to fly to them I'm not having much luck. I thought I followed what was in the manual but Iím doing something wrong. Can someone post a step by step process that has worked for them?
Thanks
Robert
tazmoe is offline Find More Posts by tazmoe