HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
@tazmoe i was told to turn clock wise when doing the mag calibration.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:42 PM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Well it figures both the nook tablet and the kindle fire are blocked from installing any .APK's.... says unsupported format.

If i'm going to get a android tablet, which one ? the samsung nexus 7 looks nice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmoe View Post
You should not have to root the device. Look in your Settings either under Security or Developer Options for "Unknown Sources" turn this on. This allows you to install software form places other than the App Store.Then load the android software YS-X6-Android-EnglishGCS-20120802.apk from ZeroUAV onto your tablet (I downloaded the apk from ZeroAUV on my windows PC then moved it to my tablet). If you don't have a file browser app on your tablet download "Astro" or some other file browser app from the App Store. In the file browser app go find the YS-X6-Android-EnglishGCS-20120802.apk file and select it. You should then get the Install option. Below are the software versions I downloaded from the ZeroUAV.net site that finally allowed me to set the ESC type to XA ESC.

Robert
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef View Post
Well it figures both the nook tablet and the kindle fire are blocked from installing any .APK's.... says unsupported format.

If i'm going to get a android tablet, which one ? the samsung nexus 7 looks nice?
It's the Google Nexus 7, which is made by Asus. You won't need to root the device. This is the tablet I'm using and it works perfectly with the GCS. The Kindle does not use a standard version of android, it is something customized by Amazon, so it doesn't surprise me that they would try to block installation of apps directly.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef View Post

I got the Google Nexus 7 as well with 16 MB of ram. I'm new to Android as well but the price was right for the Nexus. The down side is it doesn't have a micro card so you can't extend the memory, but I got it for the YS-X6 GCS software so for now I don't care.
Robert
tazmoe is offline Find More Posts by tazmoe
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
I haven't tried clockwise yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
@tazmoe i was told to turn clock wise when doing the mag calibration.
I was going by the drawing in the Manual. But I'll try clockwise as well because your copter looks rock solid in your video.

Robert
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
I have the same combo Nexus 7 and Samsung S3 (neither rooted), but no data link. I didn't see a way to change the IP address on my S3, so I decided to go with a router - also for the greater range.

But for you, the range of the router is not needed and I can see why you want to eliminate the router. My brother uses a 3rd party wifi hotspot program he got from Market I believe. He didn't have to root his phone to use it. I can find out what it is if you are interested.

Russ
Yes I would like to know what he is using. I downloaded FoxFi which works without rooting but it doesn't support WPA2-PSK AES encryption method so the wifi link will not connect to it.
Robert
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Yes I would like to know what he is using. I downloaded FoxFi which works without rooting but it doesn't support WPA2-PSK AES encryption method so the wifi link will not connect to it.
Robert
It was FoxFi, unfortunately. The S3 has WPA2-PSK but don't know if its AES encryption. Have you tried it? I was thinking that the IP address was going to be the problem for me, but I never actually tried it.

Russ
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:19 PM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
I use the S3 and TAB2, it works great.

The only thing you need to change is the IP address in the Zero-WiFi unit because the Samsung uses x.x.43.x.
(I could not find how to change the address in the Samsung's so I took the easy road)

Don't forget to change your NetInfo in the GCS to 192.168.43.254

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Last edited by Frank.T; Sep 01, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a data link on the copter and a data link connected to the wifi for the ground connection. I have a Nexus 7 Google tablet and a Galaxy S3 phone. I also have a USB Tenda wifi router. It seems to me that I should be able to setup the S3 as WiFi hotspot with the same info as the wifi router and then connect the Nexus7 and the wifi link to the phone through the hotspot. Since I'm using the data links I want to eliminate the wifi router so there is one less thing to worry about. I think this can only be done by rooting the S3 phone which I'm reluctant to do, I have rooted the Tablet though there doesn't seem to be a way to turn a non-phone device into a wifi hotspot/router.
Robert
See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=242
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:13 AM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Well I got the ys app on my kindle fire. Tomorrow I will attempt one more time to get this working. I thank u all for your support through my frustration.
1st step make sure the channels are correct..
2nd get xa esc and arming motor to work.
Test all controls without props of course. Wish me luck.
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
It's the Google Nexus 7, which is made by Asus. You won't need to root the device. This is the tablet I'm using and it works perfectly with the GCS. The Kindle does not use a standard version of android, it is something customized by Amazon, so it doesn't surprise me that they would try to block installation of apps directly.

Russ
Hi, do you need any kind of phone service or can you use it right out of the box as a GSC with no service?

Thnanks
ovnilab is offline Find More Posts by ovnilab
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
You just answered your own question. The complex/professional flight controllers are still best suited for experienced users. This is a hardcore technical product that require experience to be operated, no matter how much you try and dumb it down.
Anyone claiming otherwise are either working in PR trying to sell the product, or have been doing R/C for so long they consider most of the subject matter basic knowledge without realizing it is not. There are many, many concepts, technical details and tricks in R/C and aerodynamics generally that you just have to learn over time. And those small things can make a big difference in your experience with a new product.
For example. Do you know what PID stands for and how this algorithm functions? There is no reason why you should, but for a multicopter they might be considered essential knowledge for an advanced user. Knowing them together with the basic on how gyros and accelerometers work, will greatly help you understanding how to properly tune a multicopter.
Excuse me but Im not trying to dumb anything down, sir. And I respectfully disagree with your premise that "complex/professional flight controllers are still best suited for experienced users". That may apply for some perhaps i'm sure, but not for me.

I've got a good enough handle on ALL aspects of the "complex flight controller" and Quad copter simulator time to take my maiden flight tomorrow. Two weeks after receiving and building my hexa from the ground up. In the world of business, I have to learn large amounts of data very quickly in order to survive and stay competitive, so that discipline helps me when it comes to new challenges which I welcome and enjoy as I'm sure do many of you. I like to kick my way right through the front door so to speak and get right down to it.

I have been playing guitar, bass, and keys for 25 years (professionally) and am still learning and still feel like a student. This will be somewhat similar to that, in that there is always more to learn and master. That's part of the attraction/fun for me personally. The challenge. I understand that there is a lot involved with advanced RC flying etc. I will learn it all in time depending on how deep I wish to dive of course, so it's all good.

Looking forward to my test flight in the morning! WhooHoo!!
Last edited by ovnilab; Sep 01, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
Ovnilab
You are going down a very dangerous road. you can learn to be a pilot of a 747 withou learning to fly a small single engine plane first and all of these aircraft have redundant systems built in, if one fails there is a backup, This is not so with RC. If the auto fails you have to know how to fly in manual mode and if you don't at best you will have a very expense crash and at worst you have a flying blender hit a group of people , which would be very bad for you and the hobby.I had a mishap upgrading the firmware on a cheaper flight controller. While doing the upgrade the motor failsafe failed and the motors went to full throttle in my house while attached to my computer. In the seconds it took me to grab it and unhook the power it cut my arm for 9 stiches through a heavy long sleve shirt. Imagine what would happen if you fell from the sky for 100feet into a crowd of people. You said you've started other very successful businesses, if you still own them you wouldn't anymore after the law suits you would incure
Rich
Thanks Rich. 1st what were you doing trying that in your house with the props on? That, my friend as you found out is VERY risky business for sure. Anything I'm doing with my ship in the house, the blades er comin' off, no doubt!

Let me be clear. With my new Hexa career here, I plan to do 90% simulator time and approx 10% actual flight time. And trust me, it will be in RC fields here in So Cal with a few guys who have been at this for a long time so I'll have good flight instructors.

I won't be taking any foolish chances that's fer sure.

Sorry to hear about your arm! I have read a few similar horror stories just like yours, so yeah, I'm with ya brother.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnilab View Post
Hi, do you need any kind of phone service or can you use it right out of the box as a GSC with no service?

Thnanks
The Google Nexus 7 doesn't have any kind of built-in 3 or 4G capability, so no phone plan is needed. You can use it right out of the box, just like a laptop computer.

Russ
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
How did you change the IP Address on the Zero-WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.T View Post
I use the S3 and TAB2, it works great.

The only thing you need to change is the IP address in the Zero-WiFi unit because the Samsung uses x.x.43.x.
(I could not find how to change the address in the Samsung's so I took the easy road)

Don't forget to change your NetInfo in the GCS to 192.168.43.254

//Frank
Hello Frank,
How did you do this? What software is required? A short tutorial would be nice,
Thanks,
Robert