Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:30 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef View Post
yes controls are all corrected and working fine... reversed some channels

can't ARM the quad.... the setting for MOTOR ARMING CAN"T be changed.

i've tried everything.
even online with mr_westbie
It happen to me as well does not matter if you try to arm motors on iphone.

Plug in your serial cable to fc and confirm. Your stick inputs rudder left L40 ruddrer right R40 aleron the same. I spoke to rob on the phone while I was doing it get someone near in your country and call then while you doing it for them to confirm what they see. It stick inputs is not right you can forget to arm motors.
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:02 AM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
yes controls are all corrected and working fine... reversed some channels

can't ARM the quad.... the setting for MOTOR ARMING CAN"T be changed.

i've tried everything.
even online with mr_westbie
When we last spoke we were unable to see the stick movements in the GCS.
We can confirm that the RX was binded and working properly.
We substituted a servo in place to check.

The next thing we were going to try was to use a non 2.4ghz RX.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:11 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,124 Posts
if you can't see the stick movments in the gcs then how do you know something is not reversed?

I think you really need the gcs working....

sorry to hear your troubles it can be very frusterating...

Keep at it! or maybe... take a break for a few days.

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:26 AM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
I did manage to get the radio to work and move the sticks... It must be that they are either mixed or some reversed.... i know the throttle was reversed as I changed it along with the rudder and ailerons... OK i can understand throttle up...
is elevator to push down for down? ailerons i can understand left right
and rudder left right .....maybe my elevator is the problem... i'm used to pushing down for up in RC... what should it be... could there also be some mixing going on... i will check the dx8.
break for today... i'll take it up saturday... I really appreciate everyone's help.... it got to be around midnight last night with UAV and i had to sleep.
is the software that intelligent that it won't let me change the setting for MOTOR ARM because i have the channels reversed?
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
609 Posts
Quote:
I did manage to get the radio to work and move the sticks... It must be that they are either mixed or some reversed.... i know the throttle was reversed as I changed it along with the rudder and ailerons... OK i can understand throttle up...
and rudder left right .....maybe my elevator is the problem... i'm used to pushing down for up in RC... what should it be... could there also be some mixing going on... i will check the dx8.
break for today... i'll take it up saturday... I really appreciate everyone's help.... it got to be around midnight last night with UAV and i had to sleep.
is the software that intelligent that it won't let me change the setting for MOTOR ARM because i have the channels reversed?
Page 8 in the manual. Treat the spectrum as a JR.
Salocin is offline Find More Posts by Salocin
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:36 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
When you push the elevator it away from you it must show "push" and when you pull it towards you it shows "pull"

I would say that is what your problem is. I would have responded sooner but no internet access where I am. Andre had exactly the same problem.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
I think this will fix your problem w2hef

Setting the XA ESC type (2 min 1 sec)

Robert
tazmoe is offline Find More Posts by tazmoe
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmoe View Post
I'm using the iphone software or ipad or PC..

What android device are you using?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
Someone else probably asked this before, but are you sure you haven't selected ultraPWM (XAESC 500Hz) for your esc?

Russ
I thought w2hef wasn't using XAircraft ESC's.

w2hef - if you decide that you want to use android and tether an android phone to that router via USB, (so that the router has internet access via your phone), there is another firmware for the router you must install - its on the Zoom site. If you want to tether the iphone I don't think you need another firmware version. If your android is just a wireless client you don't need to change the firmware.

I've had the Google Nexus 7 tablet which is a direct competitor and same price as the Kindle Fire - $199. There really is no debate that the Nexus is far superior to the Kindle, however the Kindle Fire 2 is about to be released, which will have the same processor as the Nexus. The Kindle does not have its own GPS, so the "follow me" function of the YS-X6 wouldn't work.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Last edited by rampa202; Aug 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Has anyone been able to bypass the wifi router?

I'm using a data link on the copter and a data link connected to the wifi for the ground connection. I have a Nexus 7 Google tablet and a Galaxy S3 phone. I also have a USB Tenda wifi router. It seems to me that I should be able to setup the S3 as WiFi hotspot with the same info as the wifi router and then connect the Nexus7 and the wifi link to the phone through the hotspot. Since I'm using the data links I want to eliminate the wifi router so there is one less thing to worry about. I think this can only be done by rooting the S3 phone which I'm reluctant to do, I have rooted the Tablet though there doesn't seem to be a way to turn a non-phone device into a wifi hotspot/router.
Robert
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
I have a kindle fire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
I thought w2hef wasn't using XAircraft ESC's.

w2hef - if you decide that you want to use android and tether an android phone to that router via USB, (so that the router has internet access via your phone), there is another firmware for the router you must install - its on the Zoom site. If you want to tether the iphone I don't think you need another firmware version. If your android is just a wireless client you don't need to change the firmware.

I've had the Google Nexus 7 tablet which is a direct competitor and same price as the Kindle Fire - $199. There really is no debate that the Nexus is far superior to the Kindle, however the Kindle Fire 2 is about to be released, which will have the same processor as the Nexus. The Kindle does not have its own GPS, so the "follow me" function of the YS-X6 wouldn't work.

Russ
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmoe View Post
I'm using a data link on the copter and a data link connected to the wifi for the ground connection. I have a Nexus 7 Google tablet and a Galaxy S3 phone. I also have a USB Tenda wifi router. It seems to me that I should be able to setup the S3 as WiFi hotspot with the same info as the wifi router and then connect the Nexus7 and the wifi link to the phone through the hotspot. Since I'm using the data links I want to eliminate the wifi router so there is one less thing to worry about. I think this can only be done by rooting the S3 phone which I'm reluctant to do, I have rooted the Tablet though there doesn't seem to be a way to turn a non-phone device into a wifi hotspot/router.
Robert
I have the same combo Nexus 7 and Samsung S3 (neither rooted), but no data link. I didn't see a way to change the IP address on my S3, so I decided to go with a router - also for the greater range.

But for you, the range of the router is not needed and I can see why you want to eliminate the router. My brother uses a 3rd party wifi hotspot program he got from Market I believe. He didn't have to root his phone to use it. I can find out what it is if you are interested.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Compass Calibration.

This is using the Android software. The copter YS-X6 has to be communicating with the Android software.

1) Go to the Settings page.
2) Select the Magnetic Compass button.
3) Select Horizontal Alignment button.
4) Select the Ok button.
5) The gray bar below the Enable RC, Disable RC, and Follow Me buttons will read something like “Horizontal Calibration Mode”.
6) If the copter is sitting on a flat surface the LED should be solid blue.
7) Pick up the copter and keeping it as level as possible horizontally, then rotate in a counter- clockwise direction (the LED will remain solid blue if you keep it stable, if it goes out just stop moving and get it to turn blue again by adjusting the copter position).
8) Try to rotate 3 times with the LED staying solid blue most of the time. It seems to be ok if it blinks a few times during the rotations.
9) Set the copter down and reselect the Magnetic Compass button.
10) Select the Vertical Alignment button.
11) Select the Ok button.
12) The gray bar below the Enable RC, Disable RC, and Follow Me buttons will read something like “Vertical Calibration Mode”.
13) Pick up the copter and holding it with the GPS antenna facing away from you and the forward direction of the copter facing toward the ground. If you have the forward direction of the copter facing the sky the LED will not turn blue at all (solid or blinking).
14) Adjust the position until the LED turns solid blue, rotate in a counter- clockwise direction (the LED will remain solid blue if you keep it stable, if it goes out just stop moving and get it to turn blue again by adjusting the copter position).
15) Try to rotate 3 times with the LED staying solid blue most of the time. It seems to be ok if it blinks a few times during the rotations.
16) Select the Magnetic Compass button.
17) Select the Save Adjustment button.
18) Select the OK button.
19) After hitting the Ok button the screen should switch to the Control screen and you will see the red x,y = changing values.
20) After it finishes it should display the red and blue circles on top of each other.
21) Switch back to the Settings page.
22) The gray bar below the Enable RC, Disable RC, and Follow Me buttons will read something like “Save adjustment values or Saved Compass Calibration”.

That’s it. If it doesn’t display both the red and blue circles do it again, otherwise your copter will spin in circles like mine did. Next time I calibrate the compass I’ll write down the exact prompts and edit this.

Robert
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
If i get a nexus 7? which one and do you HAVE to jailbreak or root it to take the android software...

I currently have a kindle fire and access to a B&N NOOK tablet... willl they work or do they have to be rooted?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
You don't have to root your tablet

Quote:
If i get a nexus 7? which one and do you HAVE to jailbreak or root it to take the android software...

I currently have a kindle fire and access to a B&N NOOK tablet... willl they work or do they have to be rooted?
You should not have to root the device. Look in your Settings either under Security or Developer Options for "Unknown Sources" turn this on. This allows you to install software form places other than the App Store.Then load the android software YS-X6-Android-EnglishGCS-20120802.apk from ZeroUAV onto your tablet (I downloaded the apk from ZeroAUV on my windows PC then moved it to my tablet). If you don't have a file browser app on your tablet download "Astro" or some other file browser app from the App Store. In the file browser app go find the YS-X6-Android-EnglishGCS-20120802.apk file and select it. You should then get the Install option. Below are the software versions I downloaded from the ZeroUAV.net site that finally allowed me to set the ESC type to XA ESC.

Robert
Last edited by tazmoe; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:13 PM.