Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:48 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnilab View Post
<snip>
Not only that, I purchased this more complex flight control system so that I could jump right in to an area that has typically been reserved for more experienced flyers. Of course I'm speaking of the flight control assisted flight capabilities which allow us newbies into the game faster.
<snip>
Cheers!
You just answered your own question. The complex/professional flight controllers are still best suited for experienced users. This is a hardcore technical product that require experience to be operated, no matter how much you try and dumb it down.
Anyone claiming otherwise are either working in PR trying to sell the product, or have been doing R/C for so long they consider most of the subject matter basic knowledge without realizing it is not. There are many, many concepts, technical details and tricks in R/C and aerodynamics generally that you just have to learn over time. And those small things can make a big difference in your experience with a new product.
For example. Do you know what PID stands for and how this algorithm functions? There is no reason why you should, but for a multicopter they might be considered essential knowledge for an advanced user. Knowing them together with the basic on how gyros and accelerometers work, will greatly help you understanding how to properly tune a multicopter.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
All who wander are not lost
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef View Post
got to wait for battery charging tomorrow what's a good time EST eastern standard time for me? any time you want...
I will figure out a skype account today and advise later in the day EST here.
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
No... it's not.. i have many helis, RC planes both nitro and elect... a MultiWII scarab, a witespy, too many to list.... just having a problem with the RX/TX setup on the YS-X6.... don't know why... haven 't had this type of problem in the past. but i just can't get the motors to stop when i plug in the power to the ESC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
if this is your first RC experiance you may have bitten off more than you can chew, most people start with flying airplanes to learn how to program their radio's then move onto a simple helicopter... etc. now that multi's are essentially dead easy compared to three years ago... people tend to forget that they need to learn the basics of RC first...

oh well... hope it all works out for you but taking days to set something like this up is nothing compared to the weeks and months you will spend messing with it

Steve
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
No... it's not.. i have many helis, RC planes both nitro and elect... a MultiWII scarab, a witespy, too many to list.... just having a problem with the RX/TX setup on the YS-X6.... don't know why... haven 't had this type of problem in the past. but i just can't get the motors to stop when i plug in the power to the ESC's.
Someone else probably asked this before, but are you sure you haven't selected ultraPWM (XAESC 500Hz) for your esc?

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
Someone else probably asked this before, but are you sure you haven't selected ultraPWM (XAESC 500Hz) for your esc?

Russ
Yep... but i was having a problem with the software making those changes late last night.... I also have to verify the 5&6 channels on the dx8.... that's why i was hoping to get someone that has the DX8 to help out.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, MN, St Cloud
Joined Jan 2012
386 Posts
Ovnilab
You are going down a very dangerous road. you can learn to be a pilot of a 747 withou learning to fly a small single engine plane first and all of these aircraft have redundant systems built in, if one fails there is a backup, This is not so with RC. If the auto fails you have to know how to fly in manual mode and if you don't at best you will have a very expense crash and at worst you have a flying blender hit a group of people , which would be very bad for you and the hobby.I had a mishap upgrading the firmware on a cheaper flight controller. While doing the upgrade the motor failsafe failed and the motors went to full throttle in my house while attached to my computer. In the seconds it took me to grab it and unhook the power it cut my arm for 9 stiches through a heavy long sleve shirt. Imagine what would happen if you fell from the sky for 100feet into a crowd of people. You said you've started other very successful businesses, if you still own them you wouldn't anymore after the law suits you would incure
Rich
richkphoto is online now Find More Posts by richkphoto
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
.... I had a mishap upgrading the firmware on a cheaper flight controller. While doing the upgrade the motor failsafe failed and the motors went to full throttle in my house while attached to my computer. In the seconds it took me to grab it and unhook the power it cut my arm for 9 stiches through a heavy long sleve shirt. ...
I had the very same thing happen to me while upgrading firmware on an arducopter, but it was my leg that got sliced open, basically down to bone. I got about 15 sutures and a bunch of staples.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
on the iphone when my wifi is not connected if i click on the maps then tools all the buttons is available for adding waypoints ext but as soon as i connect and i click on tools icon screen is blank and all the buttons disapear.
I'm having the same problam as you
eladberger is offline Find More Posts by eladberger
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eladberger View Post
I'm having the same problam as you
I don't have that problem... when hooked to the router, my cellular plan still brings up google maps...

can you describe your settings on the iphone?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
OK... I still can't get the software(iphone) to change the Motor Arming and save it... it ridiculous. i have a router all set up... just the way the specs wanted it... i have my iphone hooked to the router... i see the GPS data, ap volts...everything....

Can't change the Motor Arming and can't ARM the motors... very frustrated.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,906 Posts
can you see in the gcs that all your stick movements are correct?

it wont arm if a channel needs to be reversed, like throttle, I hope all your props are off

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
I had the same problem

Until I downloaded both the firmware and software from the ZeroUAV.net site the ESC type would not set. I'm using the adroid version of the software. I gave up on the iphone version because my iphone was to old.
Robert
tazmoe is offline Find More Posts by tazmoe
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Deleted

Sounded like a diatribe
Robert
Last edited by tazmoe; Aug 31, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
yes controls are all corrected and working fine... reversed some channels

can't ARM the quad.... the setting for MOTOR ARMING CAN"T be changed.

i've tried everything.
even online with mr_westbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
can you see in the gcs that all your stick movements are correct?

it wont arm if a channel needs to be reversed, like throttle, I hope all your props are off

Steve
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Have you been able to set the ESC type?

Quote:
yes controls are all corrected and working fine... reversed some channels

can't ARM the quad.... the setting for MOTOR ARMING CAN"T be changed.

i've tried everything.
even online with mr_westbie
Have you been able to set the ECS type to XAircraft? Aslo have you tried the android software vs. iphone?