HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
The vertical can be a pain in the *** took me almost 3 hours to figure it out the first time.
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:58 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Long range using WiFi without Router

I don't want to bring a router to the flying field, to much hassle and not enough range!.

If you have any data-link use the WiFi unit from the YS-X6.

Put your phone or TAB in hotspot mode so the ZeroUav WiFi will connect.

You need to convert the TTL signals to the needed RS232 levels on the ZeroUav products.
Make a pcb or buy a mini here:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/280731969278?...d=379108254704

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Frank tnx for the tip just bought one
rwijnhov is online now Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.T View Post
I don't want to bring a router to the flying field, to much hassle and not enough range!

//Frank
Ya, I made this USB>ttl/rs232 converter w/xbee header:

but I guess with cheap stuff available off ebay there's no real point.
Mine can power from USB (I use it as firmware update adapter or on the ground side) or by ESC/BEC (on the copter).
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Hi Russ

Try and only use the Android. I have never used the PC GCS so I cannot advise you on that. The Android system works. And only use the Magnetic Compass Tab. I know that most of this you know already, however, there may be something that you may have missed. You have said that you get the blue light on the horizontal, but not on the vertical calibration. Just remember that your Multirotor has to be perfectly vertical. I had a problem with the vertical calibration, and only after a while, I found out that somehow, my IMU, although lined up with the vertical axis, was in fact not on the vertical, so I had to hold the vertical plane ata slight angle before the blue light would come on. Don't start turning until the blue light is on. I prepared this for my website :

Compass Calibration
1. Get Compass Calibration screen up.
2. Select Hor calibration. then OK. then hold Multirotor level and get the blue LED light on. Now turn slowly clockwise 2-3 times in one spot ensuring the light remains on at all times.
3. Select Vert Calibration. Then OK. Point the front of the Multi down and get the blue LED light on. Now turn slowly clockwise 2-3 times in one spot ensuring the light remains on at all times.
4. Select save alignment. Then OK

And you should see 2 lovely, and hopefully round circles almost on top of each other.

There is a video on it here (in Chinese). http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzYyNTg4MDY4.html

Rob
Thanks Rob.

That log file was from Android GCS. I've only used the PC GCS one time for compass calibration, and the Android app maybe twenty times.

I've literally spent hours trying to find the right spot on vertical calibration before I realized that, in my case, it is impossible because the IMU is not functioning correctly. Just look at the screen cap video - the system has no way of knowing where the 90 degree spot is without correct IMU function, and my IMU starts spewing out bogus data as soon as I select "vertical." This behavior seems to be unique to the compass calibration as my IMU normally works fine. And the "static angle" still reads appropriate values - it is the "attitude angle" which goes wild. But is my understanding that this value needs to say below 3 for the data to be valid. There is no way to keep these constantly changing IMU numbers stable at any value, let alone less than 3.

Not to make this even more complicated, but a couple of times I hit "save" when in vertical calibration and it opened the control interface (where you are supposed to see the circles), and while there were no circles at first, I was able to do a vertical calibration without any problem, yeilding a perfect red circle. I could not get a blue one however, and selecting horizontal calibration just reset the entire calibration procedure. So this does not work either - but I was able to get a blue light for vertical orientation.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampa202 View Post
Thanks Rob.

That log file was from Android GCS. I've only used the PC GCS one time for compass calibration, and the Android app maybe twenty times.

I've literally spent hours trying to find the right spot on vertical calibration before I realized that, in my case, it is impossible because the IMU is not functioning correctly. Just look at the screen cap video - the system has no way of knowing where the 90 degree spot is without correct IMU function, and my IMU starts spewing out bogus data as soon as I select "vertical." This behavior seems to be unique to the compass calibration as my IMU normally works fine. And the "static angle" still reads appropriate values - it is the "attitude angle" which goes wild. But is my understanding that this value needs to say below 3 for the data to be valid. There is no way to keep these constantly changing IMU numbers stable at any value, let alone less than 3.

Not to make this even more complicated, but a couple of times I hit "save" when in vertical calibration and it opened the control interface (where you are supposed to see the circles), and while there were no circles at first, I was able to do a vertical calibration without any problem, yeilding a perfect red circle. I could not get a blue one however, and selecting horizontal calibration just reset the entire calibration procedure. So this does not work either - but I was able to get a blue light for vertical orientation.

Russ
Hi Russ

Have you had a chat with support. They are very helpful.

I must admit, whenever I was doing my vertical calibration, on the Android, you cannot see what is happening elsewhere, so I suppose what you are seeiing only applies to the PC GCS. Maybe that is normal. I wouldn't know.

I sent you a PM.

Cheers
Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
YS-X6 Know why it crashes,blog
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Nov 2007
583 Posts
rampa202.
Looked at your video, does look a bit odd.
Can you post a picture of your setup.

If I am reading the values correctly if looks like the imu thinks you are not pointing nose down.
Mr_westie is offline Find More Posts by Mr_westie
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Great product TC, I did not knew that you had a RS232 adapter for the Xbee.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Hi Russ

Have you had a chat with support. They are very helpful.

I must admit, whenever I was doing my vertical calibration, on the Android, you cannot see what is happening elsewhere, so I suppose what you are seeiing only applies to the PC GCS. Maybe that is normal. I wouldn't know.

I sent you a PM.

Cheers
Rob
I agree with this. There is no information about how the IMU visualization in the PC GCS will behave during calibrations. If you get proper behavior from the status LED, just complete the calibration as stated in the manual at see how it goes.

And besides, the calibration should be performed outside at a distance from any electronics equipment not part of the copter. Like for example the GCS laptop with wifi, Bluetooth and whatnot..
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:22 PM
RCI
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
I havent used it in the field yet but on the PC GCS you can change the altitude and waiting time as you can see on attached image.

Yes, but you change the parameters and does not work, the Zero told me that in the next firmware, enabled the function
RCI is offline Find More Posts by RCI
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
question,

if I don't have Google Earth installed, does gcs still display attitude data etc or does it crash?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:07 PM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
On my Xp machine it shows everything, even Internet or GE is not present.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
hmm. I get everything over wifi to android but pc gcs either through wifi or serial doesn't display any numbers. I can upgrade firmware over same serial link, so it's not the cable. only tried on win7/64 though.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:43 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
Are you on COM 3, on COM 1 I have the same!

COM1 can only do firmware update and read data... it can not transfer parameter or update parameter.

Com1 = Firmware upgrade, read data
Com3 = Read, Write

So if you want to use computer to config your set up, plug it to Com3 port.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
oh, duhhh. I thank you. Yes, I was in com1.