HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
New Product
Spirit Mini Sport Glider 815mm EPO (PNF)

any one see this on hobbykings web site look nice with 2 type of motor set up
HobbyKing Daily - Spirit Glider (2 min 50 sec)

Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Last edited by Westwood; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
look like is going to be hot seller

maybe i'll get one if they have stock in USA wherehouse
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
looks a lot like the kinetic 800, a merlin clone
DragonRider013 is offline Find More Posts by DragonRider013
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
He has arrived

out of the box :

boxhacker is offline Find More Posts by boxhacker
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
yup, that is the kinetic 800,

now I can get parts !
DragonRider013 is offline Find More Posts by DragonRider013
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:13 AM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
How exactly does the wing attach? It looks like it clips together and then screws onto the top? Did it come with that T connector? I am curious if it flies as good/better than kinetic. I ordered the hk kinetic months ago when there was only 1 left in stock and I had something else on backorder for a long time but eventually everything was reserved and I was just notified tonight they made a mistake and dont have my kinetic, so I was going to get a merlin, but now I may just get this.
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Maidening the Spirit ...... first impressions.

Hi mstopps.

I was also considering the Merlin when I came across this. Got this instead and it arrived yesterday thru speedpost. No regrets. For the same that can be used to buy a Merlin kit, I could get two PNF Spirits ..... almost fully built with power sets and servos AND the option to change them into pushers. Though converting them into pushers will require additional out-runners.

Fixing the decals took 45 mins. Two screws for main wings and clipped-on rear elevator feathers meant that fixing the plane took another 15 mins..... if not for the weak factory quality control. The stock esc's banana plug became unsoldered straight out of the box.... had to spend another 30 mins soldering that and checking all other electrical and mechanical connectors for weak joints.

Great little glider. Maidened in 10km/hr wind conditions and still the Spirit flies well. Was buffeted by the wind due to small size but it slices through the wind and gives a warmliner feel when you open up the throttle. No nasty flight characteristics... no tip stall even when I slowed to a crawl for landing. Cannot compare it to the Kinetic as no one at my field has flown one.

And to answer questions about battery.... I was able to get 4 mins on a 500 mAh in the maiden on stock setup. Stock ESC connector was a XT60. Was able to squeeze in a 3s 850 mAh, 3s 1000 mAh and even 3s 1300mAh nano. Based on computation, the little tweety might be able to stay aloft for around 10-12 mins with the 1300mAh. But to achieve desired CG, the bigger batteries did not seat under the canopy. Instead they have to be squeezed into area under the wing through the belly hatch. No foam removal required for bigger batteries. But bigger batteries will significantly increase wing load and will probably make the glider hoggish. Did not take that risk due to the wind. Will report back after flights with the bigger batts.
leinad is offline Find More Posts by leinad
Last edited by leinad; Aug 14, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
look like banana hobby have this one with 2 motor ARF for 69.99

http://www.bananahobby.com/spirit-rc...0094-prd1.html
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
No tip stall even when I slowed to a crawl for landing. Cannot compare it to the Kinetic as no one at my field has flown one.
Sounds like they solved the nasty tip stall problem that the Kinetic had?
Nice, I'm getting interested again...
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Hi Commander,

Just returned from another 2 flights with smaller 500 mAh batts. Yep, the tip stalls that occured with merlin and kinetic on YouTube videos did not happened with the Spirit. Beginning to like the little glider better than my other warmliner- the ST blaze. The bigger brother tip stalled and crashed repeatedly a few weeks before despite valiant attempts to improve its power train.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:12 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
Fly great!!!!
Turnigy 2632 1500kv, Nano tech 850 3s,dymond 30A
7x4 8A 90 watt
8x5 15A 140 watt
9x7 22A 220 watt ( throttle 75%)))
Slope very well
Very happy!!!!!!!
Killadan is online now Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
Hi Commander,

Just returned from another 2 flights with smaller 500 mAh batts. Yep, the tip stalls that occured with merlin and kinetic on YouTube videos did not happened with the Spirit. Beginning to like the little glider better than my other warmliner- the ST blaze. The bigger brother tip stalled and crashed repeatedly a few weeks before despite valiant attempts to improve its power train.
That sounds like great news.
Any idea how they did it? Washout? Other anti stall meassures?

Is there someone here who has the Kinetic and/or Merlin, to compare the wings?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:48 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
Washout?

Hi Commander,

I looked at the wing as attached to fuselage and did not spot washout built into the wing. The bottom of the wing was as flat as a plate of still water.

Possibly, the the low stall speeds is due to a lower wing load with the 500 mAh battery. Flew with a 850 mAh LIPO recently, flight was ok but it exhibited wing-rock that comes before a tip stall in a downwind turn with no throttle.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Thanks, leinad
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Hey guys, I just finished a basic review on this plane and thought I'd share it here.
Spirit Mini Sport Glider Review (5 min 44 sec)
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member